Home General Discussion

Perhaps a little guidance

TumblerTumbler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 338
My palate seems to be evolving to a little more complex cigar with a little mouthwatering peppery flavor... Loved the pepper. Most of this spice flavor I get seems to be from smoking too quick. Sometimes I smoke two at the same time. Little more resting time for each . :) unlike Twain who smoked in moderation. I think I would probably really like some of Pepin's cigars but have not yet tried any - so to speak. I do really like the 5 miami, I don't see that as complex because it's pretty consistent, but consistently good. As well as the limitada. The 5 vegas classic is ok, but lacking a little oomph. The series "A" , what few I have had, seemed rolled a little too tight. I had trouble with the draw. Really liked the CAO VR and Black. Love the Patel's Edge and the Padron 3000. Have a couple of the 64th anniversary, but letting them rest a little. Liked the man of war. The nub Cameroon is tasty. Specially at the nub. Seems most cigars have a little trouble taking off, but towards the end - just can't let 'em go... The Coronado by La Flor Dominicana had some burn issues and had a little trouble in the beginning, but it settled into something pretty magical. Anyhoo, if you guys see any pattern here, and could give a few recommendations that would be marvelous. Having been doing this very long, but I am star crossed and in love...

Comments

• WafflebobWafflebob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 118
    Yeah, smoking too quickly makes the cigar bitter, which has a strong pepper taste to it. I had that problem pretty badly my first couple of cigars. I've learned to take my time the hard way.
  • btmislesbtmisles Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 125
    If you like the Miami and you like peppery spice, you'll love the Pepin Cuban Classic.
  • TumblerTumbler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 338
    I have read that very thing a few times. It's probably been 5 months for me and cigars and I have been a terror. I have two humidors - (100) capacity each that are full. A small one that's full and a quite a few zip loc bags with pillows. I need to smoke what I have and then be a little more discriminating when I purchase. The Cuban Classic would be one of my first pick-ups. I would just buy a larger humidor (like a walk-in) - but my wife already removed my right testicle.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Tumbler:
    Seems most cigars have a little trouble taking off, but towards the end - just can't let 'em go...
    it sounds like you are lighting too hot. dont just flame the heck out of em. light it gently. toast it lit. or better yet, toast it, then toast it more to light. the flame should never touch the cigar.
    I'm sorry. I don't mean I have trouble lighting them. The flavor, or my palate, just doesn't get excited until we move further into the cigar. Culminating for me, most of time, about the time I'm burning my fingers at the nub. :) I do toast the foot, but perhaps I do "flame on" more than I should. Toast should be the operative word here. Thanks for the comment...
    I just read some of your reviews... The one on the Opus X - Great great read!