Home General Discussion

Cigar smell in truck

ZAPZAP Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 164
OK..so I live in a very cold area ...I've been craving a cigar or two for weeks and weather just has not been cooperating (0 degrees and below farenheight)....this is a no smoking state so I was out of luck going to a bar, etc. Decided to smoke a couple in the truck this past weekend with the heater on.

Wife doesn't go in this vehicle often but it really is still heavy with cigar smoke a couple days later even after letting it air out.

Any tricks of the trade for eliminating the odor?

Either way the cigars were worth it and this is kind of a beater vehicle but I'd like to freshen it up a little anyhow.

Comments

• DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    I use these odor "bombs" its a small cannister and basically you turn on the heater on full blast, depress the button on the cannister let it exhaust the contents in the vehicle doors closed windows up, it cycles through the heater and vents and does a pretty good job handling the smell...
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    If you know that it is not going to rain or snow, be bad weather, etc. You can leave your windows cracked a little. Make sure to get rid of all the ash and butt's, and clean the ash tray right after or whatever you use to ash in. I have never used the odor bombs that DD is talking about buy Ozium (sp) is expensive but you only need to use a little and it works great. Finally there are odor eaters that you can plug into your cigarette lighter that help with cleaning the air.
  • tincup703tincup703 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 58
    There is a product called "ODOBAN" that you can pick up just about anywhere such as Home Depot, even WalMart sells it, and it's dirt cheap. It works great for removing odors on hard surfaces such as your dash, door frames, leather etc. I think your real challenge is going to be the headliner and seats, if cloth covered, and your carpet. I used this stuff once after an engine fire and it worked wonders, although we did ditch the head liner and the carpet befor using it.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    I smoked in my truck a couple times and had a heckuva time getting rid of the smell. Then someone told me about Febreze. You can use the mist spray on just about anything and it really works. I spray the air, the headliner, upholstery, floor mats, etc. until slightly damp. Then let it sit over night. Might take a second application but I'm pleased with how it works.

Just about any supermarket will have it.

Marty

• ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    jlmarta:
    I smoked in my truck a couple times and had a heckuva time getting rid of the smell. Then someone told me about Febreze. You can use the mist spray on just about anything and it really works. I spray the air, the headliner, upholstery, floor mats, etc. until slightly damp. Then let it sit over night. Might take a second application but I'm pleased with how it works.

Just about any supermarket will have it.

Marty

^this and use a bag of cat litter in a pillow case after you spray down the car. cat litter is an odor absorbing substance and will help pull the smell out when the febreeze is drying. I'm a professional car detailer on the side and have knocked the smoke smell out of a few cars.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    I went online and found a Peaceful Breeze ionizer that plugs into the lighter port. It runs constantly and my wife and I both smoke in our cars, sometime together, and it works fine.

It's kind of ugly looking, but it does clean the air. I got one for each car and I'm in my car about an hour and a half coming home from work. I smoke most of that time and I don't really pick up a smell when I get back into the car.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Odorban on hard surfaces and Febreeze on soft surfaces, works well
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i found this article on some site somewhere (I forgot exactly where) and i copied it down. here you go:

Smoking in your vehicle
    There comes a time when you decide that smoking a cigar in your car outweighs the desire to retain that new car smell.

I am the guy that drives everywhere, averaging about 26,000 miles a year on my vehicles so when I bought my last SUV a few years ago, I developed a process to prevent my truck from getting that stale smoky smell from my cigar enjoyment during my 1 hour commute and long trips during the motorcycle racing season.

Non smokers have commented that they would never have known that I smoke cigars daily in my truck.

Here are a couple of tips for smoking in your vehicle:
    1.) Crack the driver's window (obviously)

2.) Open the fresh air vent (not the recirculation vent) and turn it on low

3.) Turn the vent adjustment so the fresh air is flowing into your floor board (the typical symbol is pointing towards the feet on the controls)

4.) Smoke away

5.) Pick up some rain guards that fit your vehicle. These allow you to crack the widow without rain coming in. The are great for creating a dead air space that allows you to easily flick your ash out the window without it blowing back in your vehicle.

6.) If you don't want the rain guards, use the dead space created by the driver's side mirror.

7.) Use a cigar Bobken (cup holder ashtray). Car ashtrays are so tiny now that cigars never seem to fit them. I guess that's why most people put change in them.

Simple right?

Well it gets more involved since smoking the vehicle isn't the real problem. The problem is afterwards when you have that stale smoke smell in your vehicle. Here is a list of tips for cleaning.

Clean all your windows with vinegar based cleaner like Windex. This will remove the smoke residue on your windows which greatly contributes to the stale smell.

Wipe down all the hard surfaces in the interior with a 6 parts to 1 mixture of Woolite and warm water. You can even lightly spray this on the head liner and wipe it down with a soft towel.

The hardest and most important part is cleaning the seats, especially if you have a cloth interior. After each drive where I smoke, I spray with Fabreeze. Then once every week or two, I sprinkle baking soda based carpet deodorizing on the seats and floor. I usually do this whenever I am getting my car cleaned.

Many of the newer vehicles have a carbon cabin filter. Replace this every 3 months. They usually run about $25 but it is worth as most of the air in your car runs through this device.

3 times a year I steam clean my interior. I bought a Bissell hand held steam cleaner for under $100 and it works very well. I use it to clean the seats, carpet, floor mats, headliner and door panels.

While this seems incredibly involved, you quickly get used to the procedure and it's really not as bad as it sounds.

With the recent discovery of the Pureayre product, I expect the procedure to be greatly reduced and with better results (instead of using Fabreeze which contains tons of chemicals).

I hope this helps and happy smoking my friends!

• TheedgeTheedge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 316
    I smoke a few times a week in my truck. Really a can of Febreze does it for me. I did purchase a stainless steel jar with a lid from the kitchen isle at Walmart. When I'm done with the cigar I can just drop it in there, and put on the lid. I'm a little bit of a clean freak, so people are suprised that I smoke in the truck.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    As anyone who reads my website knows, I do most of my smoking in my truck. Personally, while smoking, I obviously have the windows all opened. Once finished, weather permitting, I leave the windows open at least over night. Other than that, the only thing I do is use a bottle of febreeze/Neutra-air and really spritz everything really well every once in a while. Car has a smoke smell sometimes, but it never is offensive, or too bad.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    Funny story: I used to drive a POS '93 Ford station wagon that I utterly hated. Anyway, this car smelled of sweat and ass, so I would purposely smoke cigars in it to try and even out the smell lol.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    JCizzle:
    Funny story: I used to drive a POS '93 Ford station wagon that I utterly hated. Anyway, this car smelled of sweat and ass, so I would purposely smoke cigars in it to try and even out the smell lol.
    LMAO! Nice....