Home General Discussion

Carry On or Checked Baggage ?

KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
What do you guys suggest? I'm taking 3 (5ct) Herfadors with me to Mexico in Feb. Should I carry on or put them in my suitcase? Thanks

Comments

• ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    you can carry them on, it hasn't ever been a problem for me or anyone else I know that travels with cigars. My father just flew somewhere last week and carried his smokes on with him, he even had a cutter and lighter and there were no problems.
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    I prefer to carry them on just so I know they'll be there when I get there. I only have one 5 count so I load that up and then put the rest in a ziplock bag with a couple pillows and then keep them in my backpack which goes under the seat in front of me.
  • lcpleellcpleel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    Always carry them on. Keep it safe!
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    Thanks guys. Seems like Carry On is the way to go.
  • AdcuriumAdcurium Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 170
    I'm headed to Vegas in a few weeks. I'll be carrying my herfador on the plane. Actually, I'm not checking any bags; just carrying on a small briefcase with a change of clothes. That being said, I'm cutting all my cigars before I leave and just picking up a cheap lighter once I get there.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    things get a bit more complex when cutters and lighters are involved.
  • lcpleellcpleel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    So far this year alone I lost 2 cutters and a lighter to tsa. Everytime they said surrender. I broke everything in front of them.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    Lighters are on their prohibited list both for carry on and checked baggage. I have a stack of plastic bodied cutters (buck apiece), stick a few in my shaving kit and never have any issues with them.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    On an international trip and then an across the country one I took my dual blade colibri cutters with me and put it in my checked bag and had no issues. I carried on my herfador full of sticks on all 4 flights and didn't have any issues. Be safe brother, Mexico is no joke right now.
  • Christian_SappChristian_Sapp Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 441
    im going to mexico in the summer if i put a lighter and cutter in my bag will i be ok?
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Lighters are prohibited in both checked and carry on bags, cutters in checked bags are ok but not carry on bags.
    I can get a cheap cutter at the hotel (cigar shop) and some matches.

ENFIDL: Going to Mayan Riviera. Not Northern Mexico so we should be OK (as long as we don't leave the hotel)
  • TheedgeTheedge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 316
    I just flew Delta, they allow up to two lighters. But no torch lighters. Sort of funny, she was checking out my Zippo lighters and asked the agent next to her, he said Zippos were allowed. Truth be told they were torch lighters, as I had replaced the insides with the butane insert. They ran my carry on twice, checked it for gun powder, searched it...they sent me through with both lighters and a swiss army knife.
  • Christian_SappChristian_Sapp Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 441
    i have a soft flame lighter so is that one good?
    If you're OK with potentially losing it; it is OK. Why risk it? They have lighters/matches in Mexico.