Home General Discussion

Humidor Vs Coolador

PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 739
With the exception of looks and cost, is there any actual benefit of one over the other?

Comments

• ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    When you age a cigar in a humi vs. a cooler it pics up some of the cedar from the humi. This is why people like to use cedar trays of old cigar boxes when storing smokes in a cooler.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Coolers will usually have a much tighter seal than a humidor. That's not a benefit or a downside, but does result in you needing to lift the lid now and then for air circulation. It also has the effect of needing less humidification than a humidor of the same size.
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 739
    Russ55:
    Coolers will usually have a much tighter seal than a humidor. That's not a benefit or a downside, but does result in you needing to lift the lid now and then for air circulation. It also has the effect of needing less humidification than a humidor of the same size.
    This isnt a prob. I like looking at and smelling my cigars :-)
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    PsychoSJG:
    Russ55:
    This isnt a prob. I like looking at and smelling my cigars :-)
    Yeah, I like it. It saves me money, and I'm always in there rooting around.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    One benefit I can think of is the size; you can store a lot of cigars cheaply.
    JCizzle:
    One benefit I can think of is the size; you can store a lot of cigars cheaply.
    Ya, I consider that under the cost. What my question really meant was "What are the benefits for the Cigars in one another?"
    Since you'll have more cigars, they will be with their brothers and sisters. :-D
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Your cigars may age better in a fancy, cedar lined humidor, with a high tech climate control system, and all of that jazz, but it would probably have to be reallllly long term before any difference between aging in one versus the other would become apparent, especially since most people (as they should...) use cedar boxes, in one form or another in their coolers, which essentially achieves the same effect. I will warn you, if you get a cooler to set up as a coolerdor, wash it out first, and put a container of baking soda in their for a few days. I made the mistake of not doing that, and my cooler currently stinks like weird plastic, and I've had to basically take everything out of it for now to get the smell out. Sucks.
    JCizzle:
    Since you'll have more cigars, they will be with their brothers and sisters. :-D
    Great. Now I'll feel guilty about destroying the family, one by one, every time I go for a smoke. haha.
  • mfotismfotis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    PsychoSJG:
    JCizzle:
    Great. Now I'll feel guilty about destroying the family, one by one, every time I go for a smoke. haha.
    LOL dont feel too bad cigars seem to procreate like rabbits!!
    mfotis:
    PsychoSJG:
    JCizzle:
    LOL dont feel too bad cigars seem to procreate like rabbits!!
    They're bred to be smoked, they don't mind!
  • NightHawkNightHawk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246
    I have an edgestar wine cooler that I converted with a couple cedar shelves and drawers. Works out great for me, The temp changes greatly b/w summer and winter in the nj, and it gives me peace of mind not having to worry about temp's of a humi/coolidor..