Home General Discussion

I quit Smoking...

JimmyCJimmyC Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 38
.... cigarettes that is... last July! I have quit smoking cigs b4 but this time for good. For years I had an ocasional cigar & since quitting the butts I bought a Hunidor and started buying premiun cigars. Humi is stocked & I'm just waiting for warmer weather so I can enjoy them more often (smoking in the car to keep warm is getting old). Anyone else made the switch from Cigarettes to Cigars? I like it!

Comments

• rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    A friend of mine did about 12 years ago. He quit cigs and moved right into stogies.
  • doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    I didn't make the switch directly, but I quit cigarettes in February of 2009 and started getting into cigars at the end of that year. The two weren't linked, and I had only had a handfull of cigars before I quit smoking (looking back on at least one that I wish I could smoke again knowing what I know now!).

I didn't have any real trouble putting the butts down as I was finally at the point where I wanted to quit, not just where I felt I should. The cigars really took a new place in my life, rather than replacing cigarettes, which were an addiction and not a hobby. However, alot of the things that made cigarettes enjoyable for me were mirrored in cigars. Specifically the taste of tobacco, the headyness of a good nicotine buzz, the relaxation you get from "taking a break" and breathing rhythmically. It was some of the same feelings, but completely different and better. It's like saying a good ribeye reminds you of hamburgers.

There's no way I could imagine going back. I've had nightmares about having cigarettes actually (not severe ones, just where I'm smoking and hating it), and could never see someone giving up cigars for butts. To me it's an upgrade all around. More refined, more enjoyable, healthier, more entertaining, less costly (yes: less costly for me).

Kudos on you to making the switch and welcome to cigars (where it's the collecting that's addictive, not the smoking)!

• Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    doromath:
    where it's the collecting that's addictive, not the smoking
    Seriously.

I've only smoked one or two cigars this year, but so far I've bought...oh, hell I don't want to add it up.
  • Christian_SappChristian_Sapp Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 441
    Russ55:
    doromath:
    where it's the collecting that's addictive, not the smoking
    Seriously.

I've only smoked one or two cigars this year, but so far I've bought...oh, hell I don't want to add it up.
    i know what you mean i havnt smoked a cigar in over 3 weeks, but since then i have not stopped buying at least 10 to 15 cigars, and i plan on going to a b&m today to pick up a bunch of rare maduros.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    JimmyC:
    .... cigarettes that is... last July! I have quit smoking cigs b4 but this time for good. For years I had an ocasional cigar & since quitting the butts I bought a Hunidor and started buying premiun cigars. Humi is stocked & I'm just waiting for warmer weather so I can enjoy them more often (smoking in the car to keep warm is getting old). Anyone else made the switch from Cigarettes to Cigars? I like it!

I smoked Cigs from the age of 14 till i was 38 .. Always smoke a cigar here and there but not as a Hoby or anything really great all the time. I quit smoking cigs 10 years ago, had 4-5 cigars over 9 years then some of my buddys were smoking premium CIgars and turned me on to some good stuff and the rest is History, i smoke 3-- 8 a week now depends on whats happening .. i have gone for a couple three weeks without having one but thats rare!
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    Due to some medical problems I have to quit smoking... haven't asked my Doc about cigars... not sure I want to Wink [;)] but I really can't wait to get off cigarettes
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Hayblet:
    Due to some medical problems I have to quit smoking... haven't asked my Doc about cigars... not sure I want to Wink [;)] but I really can't wait to get off cigarettes
    Funny, I was just at the eye doctor today and he asked me if I smoke; I said I smoke 3-5 a month (more like a week, but I was too afraid to tell the truth :P ). He just replied "oh, that doesn't count"
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    JimmyC:
    Made the switch almost 3 years ago. I'll still buy a pouch of roll-your-own a couple times a year, but, I notice that when I do about a week in it starts becoming a habit again. Don't want to go there, so, cigars it is! Very happy with the results, too. No more wheezing or hacking out brown stuff, much better wind. :)
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Does anyone know if this is a myth... smoking cigs damages the palet so one is less able to pick up flavors in cigars?

Anyway, congrats, though it's cheaper smoking cigs.... lol
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    xmacro:
    Hayblet:
    Funny, I was just at the eye doctor today and he asked me if I smoke; I said I smoke 3-5 a month (more like a week, but I was too afraid to tell the truth :P ). He just replied "oh, that doesn't count"
    really? cool. I talked to a life insurance rep and just asked him what that meant. He said that if you smoke and you put you don't you can be f'd. I mentioned I smoke cigars and at the most 3 a week he said I'd still have to put down I smoke. Which sucks since it puts me in that group and f's up your payments.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    phobicsquirrel:
    Does anyone know if this is a myth... smoking cigs damages the palet so one is less able to pick up flavors in cigars?

Anyway, congrats, though it's cheaper smoking cigs.... lol
    I don't know if it damages the palate, but it definitely blunts your sense of smell, which probably has and effect on you ability to taste. I remember after I quit cigarettes I could smell so many more things than I could before. It was crazy. Things did taste better, more intense flavor, as well afterward.
  • zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    Man I want to quit ciggs soooo badly!!!!! I've cut down a lot, where a pack last me a few days now, but I want to give it up completely. One day I should have the will power to be free of ciggs!!!
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    My wife quit smoking over 12 years ago. She now smokes cigars with me and actually enjoys them better than cigs.