Home General Discussion

Maduro Question

JimmyCJimmyC Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 38
I'm a fairly new cigar smoker and have been enjoing Maduro sticks for a while. Question keeps comming up in my mind is... a cigar comes in say "Maduro" and "Natural". is the only difference the wrapper or is the binder and filler blend different also? Tanks

Comments

• sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    Welcome to the forums. Maduro and Natural typically refer to the cigar's wrapper. Maduro ("ripe" in Spanish) is the process where wrappers go through extra fermentation, which breaks down the leaf even more and releases more sugar. This results in a sweeter and more mild tobacco. Conversely, Natural is a generic term for wrappers that goes through the "typical" fermentation process.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    JimmyC:
    I'm a fairly new cigar smoker and have been enjoing Maduro sticks for a while. Question keeps comming up in my mind is... a cigar comes in say "Maduro" and "Natural". is the only difference the wrapper or is the binder and filler blend different also? Tanks
    It depends on the cigar. When we came up with the forum blend last year (or was it 2009) we ended up with two blends. Both had the same filler and binder but one had an Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper and the other was a Brazilian Araparica Maduro wrapper (if memory serves me right). So in this case just the wrapper changed. I do know that sometimes they will change the blend a little if they change the wrapper. I wish I could give you examples of ones that change but nothing is comig to mind right now.
  • JimmyCJimmyC Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 38
    Example - Oliva Series V..... price diff between Maduro & Habano Torpedo is hugh!
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    JimmyC:
    Example - Oliva Series V..... price diff between Maduro & Habano Torpedo is hugh!
    The Maduro is a special release whereas the Habano is available throughout the year. Still can't answer about the blend though.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    rwheelwright:
    JimmyC:
    It depends on the cigar. When we came up with the forum blend last year (or was it 2009) we ended up with two blends. Both had the same filler and binder but one had an Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper and the other was a Brazilian Araparica Maduro wrapper (if memory serves me right). So in this case just the wrapper changed. I do know that sometimes they will change the blend a little if they change the wrapper. I wish I could give you examples of ones that change but nothing is comig to mind right now.
    I still want to try those ccom blends! I think the OWR natural is changed a little bit because of the wrapper...but I could be wrong.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Excellent question JimmyC, welcome to the group!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    many blenders find that when you change up the wrapper and only the wrapper you throw the cigar out of balance so they re blend to make it "right"
    the blend is not exact but its damn close.

there are some out there that do not reblend.
    the one that pops out in my mind is the Gurkha Regent that has a Havana 2000 Wrapper and the Gurkha Nepalese Warrior that is the same binder and filler but with a Cameroon wrapper.