Home General Discussion

Mark Twain cigars - any good?

xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
Title says it all. A box for $50 makes me a bit nervous about quality, but then again, Reposado was great for the price, so ya never know

Comments

• mfotismfotis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    Ask the crap cigar peeps.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Already tried; they have't covered it yet :-/
  • mfotismfotis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
  • brotheradambrotheradam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 896
    I had one a couple of weeks ago I got off the DD, pretty mild, not a ton of flavor, but some, good draw, no burn problems. I put the rest away in the humi to see if some rest would do them some good.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    What I don't like about them is the name...... If you're gonna honor a great men like Twain, make it a super premium smoke. Not a budget smoke packed with factory scraps. Could you imagine if the Hemingway was a $3 stick? C'mon.......
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    lilwing88:
    What I don't like about them is the name...... If you're gonna honor a great men like Twain, make it a super premium smoke. Not a budget smoke packed with factory scraps. Could you imagine if the Hemingway was a $3 stick? C'mon.......
    Agreed. From a marketing perspective, it sounds like a better idea if Mark Twain's name was used for a limited release from a premium maker like Fuente. I don't know why, but a brand that's based on a person sounds kind of kitzchy for me (e.g. Michael Jordon Cologne).

On a somewhat related note, Davidoff makes Winston Churchill cigars, but do not know if they are any good.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    xmacro:
    Title says it all. A box for $50 makes me a bit nervous about quality, but then again, Reposado was great for the price, so ya never know
    Considering Mark Twain was known for smoking notoriously bad cigars....I think I might pass on this one...lol
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    sightunseen:
    lilwing88:
    Agreed. From a marketing perspective, it sounds like a better idea if Mark Twain's name was used for a limited release from a premium maker like Fuente. I don't know why, but a brand that's based on a person sounds kind of kitzchy for me (e.g. Michael Jordon Cologne).

On a somewhat related note, Davidoff makes Winston Churchill cigars, but do not know if they are any good.
    According to Wayne the Winston Churchill Spitfire is a good smoke
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    sightunseen:
    lilwing88:

Well... to add to what Kreig said, from what we know of Hemingway, he smoked just awful cigars. He was more of a quantity > quality kind of guy. That said, I haven't tried the Mark Twain. However, the Nica Libra, 5 Vegas Classic, and Cu Avana Intenso I can get for $2 a stick from ccom and would gladly smoke those often.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Hayblet:
    sightunseen:
    lilwing88:

According to Wayne the Winston Churchill Spitfire is a good smoke
    I don't know about the spitfire, but I can say the #10 is phenomenal and the Blenheim and Marrakesh are very good. I would pay retail for a box of either the #10 or Blenheim, if that gives any idea how much I like them.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    So there has been talk about these just being another cigar, rebanded, and remarketed. Any idea what these used to be? I'm not particularly interested in trying them (as much as I like mild cigars, the unfortunate fact of the matter is that mild cigars, in my experience, actually require more finesse and higher quality tobacco and construction to really make the cut, and something tells me these are crap tobacco, in mediocre builds, sold dirt cheap as yard gars...) Pass, but still interested in what these were previously, and who makes them, etc.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    I bought a box of the 7x50's. I like it, taste is similar to RP Connecticut, or Gurkha C-10 Microbatch, nice burn, sneaks up on you in strength. I think it is a fitting tribute to Mark Twain, who, as noted was very much into "everyday" (and all-day) cigars. Plain-spoken, enjoyable, entertaining, and reasonably priced. No complaints here.