Home Ratings & Reviews

LDF Airbender

robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
ok, so I had my first one yesterday... had about a month of rest on it... and at the risk of being thought completely crazy, I have to be honest... it was very bland and about half way thought it got a really funky flavor... I'm pretty sure this was an exception to the norm, but even the first half was nothing special...

I have a few more that I got at the same time so I am going to revisit them in about 6 months or so... but wow, I was really disappointed!

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    Robby, that must have been a fluke. I had a couple of these prtty fresh and they still rocked. I would burn another of them now as waiting 6 months would be cruel to yourself for such an excellent cigar. JMO
  • robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    HA!

well the sun is out... maybe I'll have one today
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Yeah... definitely a fluke. I have never had a bad Air Bender. Always full of dried fruit, vanilla, and cinnamon spice flavor...
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Just had one yesterday. Very spicy, robust and full-bodied. Lots of flavor from leather to cedar to cocoa. Probably a fluke or something going on with your palette that day.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    Robby...Robby...you must re-visit these and give it another chance. Truly great stiks.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Yea, I'm going to have to join the crowd saying this was a fluke. This to me is always such an amazing and flavorful smoke. It is one I would love to buy a box of sometime. The Chisel is probably the most flavorful size. Really blew me away in that vitola.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    Cant let Rob hang it out there all by himself... much like Rob, I had my first one of these about two weeks ago and was less than blown away. Not sure exactly what I was expecting, but I do know this thing cant hold a candle to the LFD Double Ligero. I came away form it with a "meh" sort of feeling... not something I would go out of my way to seek more of.

• TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    The Sniper:
    Cant let Rob hang it out there all by himself... much like Rob, I had my first one of these about two weeks ago and was less than blown away. Not sure exactly what I was expecting, but I do know this thing cant hold a candle to the LFD Double Ligero. I came away form it with a "meh" sort of feeling... not something I would go out of my way to seek more of.

Speaking from the perspective of an LFD whore, I'd say to give the Air Bender another try. However, the DL maduro, Cameroon Cabinet, and Natural Cabinet Oscuro are better suited to my tastes. Along with the Litto Gomez Diez. I find these LFDs more complex than the Air Bender. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't put the Air Bender anywhere out of my top 25 cigars. :)
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    Had one myself this week, piggybacking on the LFD whore thing.. ME TOO.. I dont think you can compate the Air Bender to the Double Ligero Chisels, not in the same ball park, one and ass kicker and the other the airbender being a well balanced great relaxing , book reading type smoke for me, I love them.lol
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    docbp87:
    Yeah... definitely a fluke. I have never had a bad Air Bender. Always full of dried fruit, vanilla, and cinnamon spice flavor...
    this is almost exactly what i get out of em as well
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Had one myself this week, piggybacking on the LFD whore thing.. ME TOO.. I dont think you can compate the Air Bender to the Double Ligero Chisels, not in the same ball park, one and ass kicker and the other the airbender being a well balanced great relaxing , book reading type smoke for me, I love them.lol
    I'm gonna have to try these Double Ligero Chisels... they seem to be the bees knees
  • doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    I had my first LFD DL Maddy over the holidays at my folks house. I've been resting it since I first purchased it to try in July. Similar to your experience with the Air Bender, I was kind of disappointed.

I'm fully convinced that my disappointment was mostly due to me though, and not the cigar. I lit it up figuring "well hell, it's a special enough occassion, let's give it a whirl" but didn't think much beyond that. I ended up smoking it on the back porch, while carrying on a conversation with folks inside through an open window. Needless to say I would've been better served by just a 5V Classic or something that doesn't warrant thinking about. The flavors kept pulling at me but I didn't have enough attention span to give them their due.

I'll definitely revisit the DL, as I've heard too many good things not to give it a second try. I'm hoping the Air Bender treats me better at first blush ;)
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    robbyras:
    ok, so I had my first one yesterday... had about a month of rest on it... and at the risk of being thought completely crazy, I have to be honest... it was very bland and about half way thought it got a really funky flavor... I'm pretty sure this was an exception to the norm, but even the first half was nothing special...

I have a few more that I got at the same time so I am going to revisit them in about 6 months or so... but wow, I was really disappointed!
    I've had several of these, and I have to agree with you. I love LFD and have most of their blends but I just wan't all too into this one.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    You know what though? With a price point like they have, it's no biggie that you smoked one without paying it enough attention. The Air Bender and DL amaze me with their quality to price ratio. Have a bunch of DL 452 Maduros that I picked up for like $4.50 or something each at my local. Great petite robusto, and inexpensive to boot.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    Airbender is good, not great. It's not powerful enough for my under-developed palate.
    dennisking:
    It's not powerful enough for my under-developed palate.
    it's funny, thats what I was thinking the whole time... i look at the smokes I like and they are all huge flavor bombs... it reminds me of when I first started drinking wine... I loved all the fruit bombs... so as my palate matures, I'd enjoy the nuances more i'm sure
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    docbp87:
    You know what though? With a price point like they have, it's no biggie that you smoked one without paying it enough attention. The Air Bender and DL amaze me with their quality to price ratio. Have a bunch of DL 452 Maduros that I picked up for like $4.50 or something each at my local. Great petite robusto, and inexpensive to boot.
    yup, nice thing about the DL and ligero.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    robbyras:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    I'm gonna have to try these Double Ligero Chisels... they seem to be the bees knees
    What size did you have. I find the matattan and the maestro to have a so so first third then really kick in just before the half way point.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    Dennis just out of curiousity, what do you consider to really be an ass-kicker stik?
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    I'm smoking one now. Glad someone mentioned dried fruit, I was having a hard time placing that flavor I was getting. I love these.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    Hawk55:
    Dennis just out of curiousity, what do you consider to really be an ass-kicker stik?
    there are lots. Oliva V Maduro and LFF DL come to mind. Its not so much about the power for me. My palate just doesn't pick up the more subtle flavors.
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    Rob----as we say is the beauty with cigar smoking-----I too felt it a bit of an odd flavor profile and a bit weak. I tried 2, and felt very similar. The palate always changes, so I will try again in the future-------but I love LFD stuff and this seemed average to me.
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 345
    ok, had my 2nd lfd airbender last night while playing tiger 2011 w/ my wife. this had 2 mths rest on it and it was much better. enjoyed it. still strong but i can see these are way better w/ age. it was perfect w/ my glenroths single malt.