Home General Discussion

Question

cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
why are my cigars seem to be good when I first light them then about half way through the wrapper spits seem to happen to many all in different area's of my humi. to dry to moise humidity is about 69-71 % readout.

Comments

• letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 676
    I am by no means an expert, but I would imagine that they are over humidified a bit. When you start smoking the cigar, the first thing to dry out would be the wrapper, leaving the filler moist and expanded. The wrapper starts to dry out and shrink, and viola, you have cracking. Just a guess, maybe check your hygrometer??
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    they don't seam hard or anything the feel fine smoke fine to start then expand and explode! btw it's dry as f in my house.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    Do you have them in a humidor and do you have a calibrated hygrometer in said humidor?
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    i would check your hydrometer...sounds like your RH might be off....I try to keep mine around 65-68 RH
    I've calibrated and check when I set up system 6 months ago seam consistant, one is on the other 4% low . I've been very anal about it. I have a cab 1500 count humi with a moist n air on the bottom seems like I keep RH fairly close and well mantained. Just trying to figure out if its over or under humidity or if the dry air in my house once starting to smoke is affection the cigar. When I went to Punta Cana last yr while smoking my cigars about half way through it seem the outer wrapper stopped burning and the filler was the only thing burning due to high humidity in the air cigar changed. wonder if this is a reverse affect. Any info?
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    All sounds like symptoms of over humidification.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    do they split or unravel?

if they unravel then you are cutting off too much.
    kuzi16:

Unravavels then rips apart as I try to hold it togeather, I'm not cutting off to much, it seams that the pectin gives out all over all at once. I'm goiing to put one of the humdrometers out and check the RH of the room. But it becomes an complete failure all at once half to three quarters the way through the cigar. This is not one cigar but several and diff makes and models. Room temp is 64-65 degrees. will have RH tonight. It is dry as hell in my house. Forced hot air.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    cooch36:
    kuzi16:

Unravavels then rips apart as I try to hold it togeather, I'm not cutting off to much, it seams that the pectin gives out all over all at once. I'm goiing to put one of the humdrometers out and check the RH of the room. But it becomes an complete failure all at once half to three quarters the way through the cigar. This is not one cigar but several and diff makes and models. Room temp is 64-65 degrees. will have RH tonight. It is dry as hell in my house. Forced hot air.
    not to be "nit-picky" but...

a hygrometer is used to measure RH and a hydrometer is used to measure specific gravity or density in a liquid.

there is only one place that really has any pectin, and that is in the cap area. once the cap is gone, its all down hill from there.

how dry your house is shouldnt matter too much if the inside of you humidor is in the right range you should be fine.

if you are sure that it isnt a cutting issue i have to hop on the bandwagon and say over humidified.
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    I had the same thing happen on my frist Ava Marie I ever smoked. The light was good then about a third of the way through I heard a "POP" which was the wrapper splitting. It continued to split until the wrapper was totally separated from the filler. It was unsmokable.

I think this was caused by expansion of the 67% humid tobacco due to freezing temps outside (-2f). Were you smokingn outside in sub freezing temps?

This is one reason why I find it difficult to smoke in winter.
    Goldy:
    I had the same thing happen on my frist Ava Marie I ever smoked. The light was good then about a third of the way through I heard a "POP" which was the wrapper splitting. It continued to split until the wrapper was totally separated from the filler. It was unsmokable.

I think this was caused by expansion of the 67% humid tobacco due to freezing temps outside (-2f). Were you smokingn outside in sub freezing temps?

This is one reason why I find it difficult to smoke in winter.
    no I was smoking in my man cave but its not heated but still in low 60's down there. I be carfull about the cap but beleave seperation accures mid way down cigars I'll see tonight good excuse to smoke! Like I need one. But again RH is in the right area.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    An over-humidified cigar will expand as it's heated. You can actually see the end that's lit is bigger than the rest of the cigar and eventually the wrapper can't expand anymore and it cracks or explodes. While you smoke tonight watch for this with a critical eye and then confirm or rule it out. Something to watch for, anyway.
    a href="http://s858.photobucket.com/albums/ab143/cooch_36/?action=view&current=2011-01-11_09-10-29_710.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket You can see how the end is starting to seperate It seems to be milder on this cigar and I've had a few the last couple of days that have not split at all.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Yeah, splitting like that is a result of over humidification usually. The filler is more humid than the wrapper, and as a result, when it heats and expands, the wrapper doesn't expand with it, and it pops like that.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    Hey Cooch...do you know what a Coochie is? (Just had to ask...not related to this thread...sry!)
    Hawk55:
    Hey Cooch...do you know what a Coochie is? (Just had to ask...not related to this thread...sry!)
    hey bro I do :) its a factory for a Monica cigar!