Home General Discussion

Hygrometer Troubles

FractalFractal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 11
I need some advice.  I've gone through 7 of the little Madeline circular digital hygrometers over the past 6 months.  Every one of them has had something wrong with it.  Either they would flicker on and off, the battery compartment would break, but mostly they would read incorrect humidification values.  Case in point: I performed the salt-in-a-bottlecap with distilled water test with two of them.  I filled a clean bottlecap with table salt, then saturated it with distilled water until just barely water was visible on the surface.  I then sealed it in a heavy duty freezer Ziploc bag with two of the hygrometers.  After four hours I calibrated them to 75% humidity by holding down the button.  I let them sit there overnight.  The next morning one was reading 90% humidity and 68 degrees F while the other was reading 64% humidity and 173 degrees F!  This has been constant amongst these Madeline hygrometers.  I don't trust the brand anymore. Aren't they made by Xikar?  If that's the case, I don't trust the Xikar brand anymore in regard to hygrometers. So here's my question: I need a recommendation for a -precision- hygrometer for my humidor.  Any suggestions?

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I use the blue humicare hygros they sell on this site. They've worked fantastic for almost two years. Also, I never could get the salt test to work, so I used the boveda calibration kit. It takes most of the human error out of the equation.