Home General Discussion

Cigar for my Dad?

xIcedGuardianxxIcedGuardianx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 873
Ever since I started this wonderful hobby, my Dad (ex cigarette smoker) has made many passive comments about cigars and I gather he wants to join in on the fun. Problem is I've never tried to enlighten someone with their first cigar. When I started my journey, I just bought random handmade cigars and enjoyed what I experienced which is a gamble and I got lucky. Anyone ever try to get someone started on cigars? What would be a surefire winner to give him that would be representative of a great first smoke? Obviously mild like a Macanudo or any other Connie, but is that a good choice or is there something better for the very first cigar? What would YOU do? Ps. I mention ex cigarette smoker because I expect to have to break that barrier for him and also make sure he doesn't instinctively inhale despite already schooling him on that.

Comments

• undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    If he is an ex cig smoker, he may not be able to taste a mild cigar. I recommend starting of with a medium stick which there are many of. Or, you can get him the ccom label sampler and have him discover what kind of wrapper he prefers from there.
  • xIcedGuardianxxIcedGuardianx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 873
    undulac:
    If he is an ex cig smoker, he may not be able to taste a mild cigar. I recommend starting of with a medium stick which there are many of. Or, you can get him the ccom label sampler and have him discover what kind of wrapper he prefers from there.
    Maybe so, although it has been over 23 years since his last cigarette so it could go either way.
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    I would recommend a smaller medium to mild stick. Maybe an AF Short Story or an ashton? Since this would be his first cigar I think its important to start off on the right foot with a high quality stick and see where it goes from there.
    Exactly, I want his first to be so good that he falls in love with it so quality is important
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    xIcedGuardianx:
    undulac:
    Maybe so, although it has been over 23 years since his last cigarette so it could go either way.
    Never mind. I took it as something he did recently. haha
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I'd go with a 5 Vegas Gold or a Perdomo 10th Champagne and then go from there. My Dad smoked cigarettes as well, and tends to smoke really fast, so I usually look for larger ringed sticks. Also, if he quit that long ago he's got his taste back by now.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    Goldy:
    I would recommend a smaller medium to mild stick. Maybe an AF Short Story or an ashton? Since this would be his first cigar I think its important to start off on the right foot with a high quality stick and see where it goes from there.
    Good call, it was a box of ash tons that got me and my old man into cigars. can't go wrong there.
    Luko:
    Goldy:
    Good call, it was a box of ash tons that got me and my old man into cigars. can't go wrong there.
    Cool guys, sounds like I'll be grabbing an Ashton for him to try. I appreciate the suggestions.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Might wanna look into Davidoff
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Bring him Saturday and I'm thinking nub connie or mow virtue
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    xmacro:
    Might wanna look into Davidoff
    my wife likes davidoff. she is a fan of the gran cru.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    I recommend the Gurkha Park Avenue.
    Lots to choose from for sure. Thanks guys @ENFIDL.. He hasn't actually "agreed" to have a cigar yet, but he keeps making comments and asking me about it. I doubt I could get him to try his first at a Herf but I'll see if he's interested in tagging along. Either way I'm really looking forward to it!
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Davidoff, or if you don't want to spend quite that much, then maybe either a Padron Anniversary (64), or AVO, either of which would run you in the 10$ range, and would impress any smoker, much less someone who wants to smoke a cigar, but doesn't normally.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    xIcedGuardianx:
    Lots to choose from for sure. Thanks guys @ENFIDL.. He hasn't actually "agreed" to have a cigar yet, but he keeps making comments and asking me about it. I doubt I could get him to try his first at a Herf but I'll see if he's interested in tagging along. Either way I'm really looking forward to it!
    Why not just invite him over for a barbecue or dinner, cook up the works, then afterwards ask if he wants an after-dinner cigar?

When I visit my folks, my dad and I typically light a few up after grilling some steaks or something, when we're stuffed and just wanna sit around and do nothing - perfect time to enjoy a cigar.
    xmacro:
    xIcedGuardianx:
    Why not just invite him over for a barbecue or dinner, cook up the works, then afterwards ask if he wants an after-dinner cigar?

When I visit my folks, my dad and I typically light a few up after grilling some steaks or something, when we're stuffed and just wanna sit around and do nothing - perfect time to enjoy a cigar.
    Not a bad idea, we got a nice screened in porch so when it gets warmer, that might be just the ticket.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    I was also going to chime in on the ambiance. Make an event out of it with dinner and the whole nine. Top off the night with a good cigar, a drink, and a good conversation. Part of the thing I like about cigars is how they "enhance" an already perfect evening.
    Well said and good points on the "experience" part of it. It's 50% of the overall enjoyment.