Home General Discussion

ISOM Question

KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
Going to Mexico (Mayan Riviera) in Feb. I'm bringing some smokes with me. I'd like to have an ISOM or two while there (they're expensive at the Hotels). I know enough not buy any off the beach but, every one of the big hotels seems to have a cigar bar/shop in them. My question is, can the hotels be trusted? I don't see myself traveling/leaving the resort to a Casa del Habano. Other than looking at the band of a Cohiba, I don't really know how to tell on any of the other brands I would be looking to buy if they're fakes or not.

Comments

• DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    Maybe, maybe not....just because cigars are being sold at the hotel does not mean they are real and doesn't mean they aren't lol Casa del Habano is your best bet....Playa Del Carmen....maybe look for a resort tour, they will take you to shopping areas...http://www.lacasadelhabanoplayadelcarmen.com/
  • SmokySuitSmokySuit Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 429
    +1. When I was in Aruba the Hotel had a shop that seemed sold real ones, I'm no expert on fakes but they were in the proper packaging with the proper looking bands...and upon lighing them up they sure tasted like the real deal. But there was a lady by the pool that was selling them also and they loooked to be fakes just placed in a real box...lol it looked like the bands had just been printed on an at home printer...she didn't try that hard lol
  • bass8844bass8844 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 416
    KCW:
    Going to Mexico (Mayan Riviera) in Feb. I'm bringing some smokes with me. I'd like to have an ISOM or two while there (they're expensive at the Hotels). I know enough not buy any off the beach but, every one of the big hotels seems to have a cigar bar/shop in them. My question is, can the hotels be trusted? I don't see myself traveling/leaving the resort to a Casa del Habano. Other than looking at the band of a Cohiba, I don't really know how to tell on any of the other brands I would be looking to buy if they're fakes or not.
    So where you going to be staying? I'm heading out to that area myself at the end of March. I was pretty much wondering the same thing as you. Can the hotels be trusted? And another thing I was wondering about was the duty free...is that even worth looking in to?
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    bass8844:
    KCW:
    So where you going to be staying? I'm heading out to that area myself at the end of March. I was pretty much wondering the same thing as you. Can the hotels be trusted? And another thing I was wondering about was the duty free...is that even worth looking in to?
    Good Question (on Duty Free).
    We're going to try "Dreams". (Not sure why) We've been to the Iberostar twice and loved it.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    KCW:
    bass8844:
    KCW:
    Good Question (on Duty Free).
    We're going to try "Dreams". (Not sure why) We've been to the Iberostar twice and loved it.
    When we stayed at the Royal in Playa Del Carmen afew years ago, there was a guy in the lobby who was rolling sticks. He was Cuban and a Third grade roller. His Grandfather was a First Grade roller back in Cuba he told me. He actually only applied the wrapper to the blanks while sitting at the table, but it was sure KEWL to watch him do his thing. Great cigars too. In fact it was what got me started in cigars. These were expensive sticks but hey... I was on vacation.
    Tanks for the link D Dog. I may take a cab ride into Playa del Carmen now (if I can get away for an hour or two). Whats pricing like at The Casa DH? I imagine singles are pretty expensive there as well. They'll deliver to the hotels for a $400.00 min. lol
  • lcpleellcpleel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    Casa dh is expensive. But not as bad as the duty free shops. Just make sure you research a little. Last time I was at a casa dh was in cancun and the owner Eddie was there. He hooked me up with a few smokes like the bhk 54 for $10 a stick.
  • MephistoMephisto Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 508
    The duty free will be the real enchilada; however, FYI, even if you pay cash, they will catalogue your passport number and there will be a paper trail--not that it really matters.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Personally, I would not buy CCs there unless it was at a LCDH. I have just seen too many fakes from too many people...
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    bass8844:
    KCW:
    I went to Maya Riveria few years ago...and bought a bottle of JW Blue for $190, duty free is def worth looking into.
    Krieg:
    bass8844:
    KCW:
    I went to Maya Riveria few years ago...and bought a bottle of JW Blue for $190, duty free is def worth looking into.
    I'm not a Scotch Drinker. When I get there, would it be worth looking into for Cigars?
    KCW:
    Krieg:
    bass8844:
    KCW:
    I'm not a Scotch Drinker. When I get there, would it be worth looking into for Cigars?
    well, at the time I went...I wasn't into cigars :::GASP:::: so I don't know...but buddy of mine went to a store, not sure which one, he found the location off of CA's website to make sure they were legit. The cubans are not cheap, 15-25 a piece.
    Lcpleel said he was getting bhk54's at $10 a piece, you need to go to that place buy as many as you can, smoke yourself silly, remove bands and bring as many as you are allowed to back! lol don't know how thats possible but sometimes I guess the cards fall in to place...
    Diamondog:
    Lcpleel said he was getting bhk54's at $10 a piece, you need to go to that place! lol don't know how thats possible but sometimes I guess the cards fall in to place...
    damn, are you serious?? Don't know about that...Cuba is setting those prices pretty high...wonder if they are legit.
    Krieg:
    Diamondog:
    Lcpleel said he was getting bhk54's at $10 a piece, you need to go to that place! lol don't know how thats possible but sometimes I guess the cards fall in to place...
    damn, are you serious?? Don't know about that...Cuba is setting those prices pretty high...wonder if they are legit.
    Exactly what I'm worried about... They're expensive at the hotels too.. I wouldn't mind paying for one to have but I'm just scared it might be a $20.00 fake.
    KCW:
    Krieg:
    Diamondog:
    Exactly what I'm worried about... They're expensive at the hotels too.. I wouldn't mind paying for one to have but I'm just scared it might be a $20.00 fake.
    I had a couple of drinks with the owner of the casa dh in cancun and he pulled out his humidor and asked if I was a gambling person. He then said put money down on the bar and see what comes out. Lol I got the bhk52 for $10
    That doesn't mean your going to get what I got.
    lcpleel:
    In all honesty, if I was offered one at $10.00, I wouldn't beleive it. Probably wouldn't bite on that.
    KCW:
    lcpleel:
    In all honesty, if I was offered one at $10.00, I wouldn't beleive it. Probably wouldn't bite on that.
    You'd be fine in a place like that, that was done out of BOTL fellowship for sure...
    KCW:
    lcpleel:
    Its kind of like when you go to your local b&m and someone offers you a smoke.
  • JY001JY001 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 49
    docbp87:
    Personally, I would not buy CCs there unless it was at a LCDH. I have just seen too many fakes from too many people...
    Agree 100% Even Duty Free is a gamble. They may not know they are selling fakes. The only way to have the best odds are to buy from an LCDH franchise. Some scumbag counter fitters use authentic labels and packaging. The only 100% guarantee is the taste..even for the experts. Edited to add that there is an LCDH in Merida. The owner is Drew. He will take good care of you.
  • JY001JY001 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 49
    PM Replied. Thanks