Home General Discussion

Quick question fellas

roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
I know that I am still a beginner cigar enthusiest, and have set up my humidor and it reads constant 65 degrees and 70% humidity. I dont know if I havent been smoking long enough ( only for 4 months and have had about 12 smokes) or if its something else. But all the cigars taste the same. Is it me? The first ones that i got were a connitcut sampler with fonesca, 5 vegas gold and some others and though i did not have a humi then, I kept them in the ziplock bag they came in with the water pillow. long story short, the fonesca, 5 vegas gold, rp signature and the c.com purlpe lable and G2 that have been sitting in the humi for 2 months and the humidified 5 vegas still taste the same. am I doing something wrong? any imput would be appreciated. thanks.

Comments

• KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    roland_7707:
    I know that I am still a beginner cigar enthusiest, and have set up my humidor and it reads constant 65 degrees and 70% humidity. I dont know if I havent been smoking long enough ( only for 4 months and have had about 12 smokes) or if its something else. But all the cigars taste the same. Is it me? The first ones that i got were a connitcut sampler with fonesca, 5 vegas gold and some others and though i did not have a humi then, I kept them in the ziplock bag they came in with the water pillow. long story short, the fonesca, 5 vegas gold, rp signature and the c.com purlpe lable and G2 that have been sitting in the humi for 2 months and the humidified 5 vegas still taste the same. am I doing something wrong? any imput would be appreciated. thanks.
    Your question may be quick but the answer isn't. Bottom line, it takes time (and a lot more than 12 smokes). I know exactly what you're experiancing (most of us here do as well). Your pallette is young. Give it time. You'll develop it. Don't buy any boxes of cigars at this stage. Try different ones from different countries, different blends and try different wrappers. Take notes. You'll get it. Pay attention to how you smoke as well (quickly, slowly, using your nose, how you cut, how you light). All will affect flavor to a certain extent. I'm sure someone here will put up a link for you with a good thread about this.
  • RoyalCigarsRoyalCigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 106
    Hello!

All the brands you mentioned are either comprised of Conneticut or Ecuadorian Conneticut shade wrappers. If your looking for something different in terms of taste and/or body try a cigar with a Habano, Corojo or Cameroon wrapper (if you didn't know the wrapper is the exterior portion of the cigar. If you like lighter cigars, try a Medium bodied cigar. It will be stronger than those Conneticut wrapped cigars but will usually offer more flavor.
    Its  probably nothing you've done, just be sure your next order has a little more variety in terms of wrappers.

Hope this helps!

-Regards and Long Ashes
    Neal J.
  • SmokySuitSmokySuit Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 429
    No I don’t think you’re doing anything wrong. The cigars you listed are very similar. A good amount of a cigar’s flavor comes from the wrapper leaf; since you listed mainly Connecticut wrapped cigars I would assume they are all of a similar flavor profile. This is added to the fact that you are new at this and haven’t developed your palate much. I experienced a similar issue when I started smoking. Give it some time, let your palate mature some, and maybe branch out a little; try some cigars of different country origins and different wrappers.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    KCW:
    roland_7707:
    Your question may be quick but the answer isn't. Bottom line, it takes time (and a lot more than 12 smokes). I know exactly what you're experiancing (most of us here do as well). Your pallette is young. Give it time. You'll develop it. Don't buy any boxes of cigars at this stage. Try different ones from different countries, different blends and try different wrappers. Take notes. You'll get it. Pay attention to how you smoke as well (quickly, slowly, using your nose, how you cut, how you light). All will affect flavor to a certain extent. I'm sure someone here will put up a link for you with a good thread about this.
    +1. Been there, done that.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    roland_7707:
    Are you retro-haling?
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    Thanks for the info borks, blowing smoke through my nose, trying to. but only a little cuz it burns. not used to it yet. I do have a couple G2 turbos and also a San Latano, but im still smoking milds so im affraid that they will kick my butt. but ill try one tonight and see.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    roland_7707:
    Thanks for the info borks, blowing smoke through my nose, trying to. but only a little cuz it burns. not used to it yet. I do have a couple G2 turbos and also a San Latano, but im still smoking milds so im affraid that they will kick my butt. but ill try one tonight and see.
    Just make sure to eat a good meal first when you move into some of the fuller-bodied cigars, you'll be fine. And even if you love the cigar, don't be too proud to stop smoking if you start getting strange feelings in your gut, lol. I've been there many times.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    TatuajeVI:
    roland_7707:
    Just make sure to eat a good meal first when you move into some of the fuller-bodied cigars, you'll be fine. And even if you love the cigar, don't be too proud to stop smoking if you start getting strange feelings in your gut, lol. I've been there many times.
    To piggy back on what Tat said make sure you get pletny of water in your system before you start smoking. I have seen Tat green before a few times because he hadn't had anything to eat lol.....It happens to some of us that have been with the hobby for a while too.
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    Also your inviroment play's a role if your talking with friends and hanging out then you will not taste the cigar if you can get some chill time relaxing maybe watching a movie or just watching the sun go by you will taste more.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    the secret is in your nose! Check back through the threads, you'll find out.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    This has already been said but I think we were all in this same boat when we started out, and 12 is a really new number. The brands that you listed are really simular, you might also try something like a 5 vegas gold maduro, same blend as 5 vegas gold just a different wrapper. or maybe a Gurkha Park Ave.
    Very good advice about eating before a strong smoke, the taste of the cigar can also change depending on what you drink with it.

Give it time your palate will change and grow.
    I think about how when I was little I hated the taste of coffee and also bleu cheese, now I drink coffee every day and love bleu cheese dressing.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    kuzi16:
    read my developing your palate thread.
    There it is...
    just re-read your post kuzi, thanks for all the information and for posting what Alex said. and thanks to everyone for helping.
    Had a G2 turbo last night and it tasted better than the rest. I still could not pick up individual flavors, but the overall tast was better than the others. on the discription on the websites it says that the turbo has a full-body, but it did not make me woosie or sick at all. i enjoyed it.
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    roland_7707:
    Had a G2 turbo last night and it tasted better than the rest. I still could not pick up individual flavors, but the overall tast was better than the others. on the discription on the websites it says that the turbo has a full-body, but it did not make me woosie or sick at all. i enjoyed it.
    The G2 Turbo may say full bodied, but it is medium at best. I would not hide from any medium bodied sticks as they will probably not mess with you, especially if you take your time with them. A full bodied cigar, especially the PA broadleaf maduro wrapper, is something you may want to stay away from. This is what's so great about this community, you can trade. Down the road, you may post a few sticks that you are willing to trade and in return ask for med/full sticks. That way you can sample before you make larger purchases.