Home General Discussion

liga privada

Christian_SappChristian_Sapp Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 441
so i was thinking of trying this but i wasnt sure the difference between the no. 9 and the t52 i was going to get one of the samplers what is the difference?

Comments

• rossdavey2rossdavey2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 979
    The T52 is a Habano wrapper I think. I like it better than the #9. Both are good, I just wouldn't buy a box worth of #9 I would the T52's
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    to keep it simple the t52 is a bit milder than the no9. there are many similarities in the over all flavor profile. but there are some noteworth differences.

the no.9 uses an oscuro connecticut broadleaf wrapper. This means that the upper primings of the tobacco plant were left on an extra 50% longer. the added time on the plants gives more nutrients to the leaves. this also meand that the tobacco begins to cure on the plant. this helps bring out the dark colors. the fillers include nicaraguan and honduran tobacco. if im not mistaken the binder is brazilian. it is earthy and has coffee notes especially when aged.

the T-52 is a stalk cut "habano" also grown in connecticut. "Stalk cut" means that the wrapper leaf tobacco is harvested by cutting the stalk of the tobacco not by plucking the leaves. it is taken to the barn on the stalk and cures on the stalk as well. this means that the leaves are still getting something from the stalk as they cure.
    the fillers are from nicaragua, honduras and the doinican republic.
    the flavors are cocoa, molasses, and a bit woody. some seem to find them spicy, some dont.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    kuzi16:
    to keep it simple the t52 is a bit milder than the no9. there are many similarities in the over all flavor profile. but there are some noteworth differences.

the no.9 uses an oscuro connecticut broadleaf wrapper. This means that the upper primings of the tobacco plant were left on an extra 50% longer. the added time on the plants gives more nutrients to the leaves. this also meand that the tobacco begins to cure on the plant. this helps bring out the dark colors. the fillers include nicaraguan and honduran tobacco. if im not mistaken the binder is brazilian. it is earthy and has coffee notes especially when aged.

the T-52 is a stalk cut "habano" also grown in connecticut. "Stalk cut" means that the wrapper leaf tobacco is harvested by cutting the stalk of the tobacco not by plucking the leaves. it is taken to the barn on the stalk and cures on the stalk as well. this means that the leaves are still getting something from the stalk as they cure.
    the flavors are cocoa, molasses, and a bit woody. some seem to find them spicy, some dont.
    And where does the rat fit into this equation?
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    Fourtotheflush:
    kuzi16:

I believe the Dirty Rat is a special corona size containing the LP 9 blend. Other than the size, there are no differences. The Rat did not initially enter production due to the challenge in rolling this size. The LP 9 blend contained 6-7 leaves, so to fit all of that into a corona-sized gauge took a lot of time.
    Fourtotheflush:
    kuzi16:

rumor has it that the Dirty Rat is the result of trying to recreate the classic Liga Privada #9 profile in a corona size, however they never got that quite right. In the process Luis (lead torcedor and gallery supervisor) came up with this blend. Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf Filler: Honduran and Nicaraguan Cuban Seed Binder: Brazilian

the flying pig is just the no.9 in a short, fat, pigtailed perfecto (4 x 60)

sightunseen:
    I believe the Dirty Rat is a special corona size containing the LP 9 blend. Other than the size, there are no differences. The Rat did not initially enter production due to the challenge in rolling this size. The LP 9 blend contained 6-7 leaves, so to fit all of that into a corona-sized gauge took a lot of time.
    it almost was never released due to the cost of production. it actually costs more to produced the Dirty Rat than a toro size Liga Privada #9
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    kuzi16:
    sightunseen:
    it almost was never released due to the cost of production. it actually costs more to produced the Dirty Rat than a toro size Liga Privada #9
    I believe it. Steve Saka answered some questions about the Rat on another forum and the Rat's production cost was something he had discussed.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    i like them all!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Kuzi, thanks for that great write up on the 2. I personally feel the T52 is a bit stronger. I get a huge pepper blast from it while with the 9 I don't get that. I've grown to like the 52 but I still like the 9 more.
    phobicsquirrel:
    I personally feel the T52 is a bit stronger.
    ive heard others say the same thing. i have a feeling that they are very close in body so it all comes down to who smokes it on what day and other outside conditions.
  • NightHawkNightHawk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246
    THe rat is def. a unique smoking experience... not in the "usual" drew estate infused way, but i think its a great smoke with a character which makes it stand out among other corona sized cigars. Havent yet had the other LP's or the pig which ive heard good things about.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Also they are releasing the T52 in the Flying Pig size. I actually think it is already on the market.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    PuroFreak:
    Also they are releasing the T52 in the Flying Pig size. I actually think it is already on the market.
    It is. In my humidor as I type this. I have smoked one, and it is easily my favorite Liga Privada cigar, and I would consider the T-52 Toro one of my favorite smokes I've ever had. The T-52 Pigs are amazing smokes. If you get the chance to get some, DO IT. You will not regret it if you are a fan of LP.

The rats I've had were all great, but seemed like they were a little grubby, and needed time to settle. All of the elements, and flavors are there, but are muddled, and I think with time they are going to turn into something amazing.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    docbp87:
    PuroFreak:
    It is. In my humidor as I type this. I have smoked one, and it is easily my favorite Liga Privada cigar, and I would consider the T-52 Toro one of my favorite smokes I've ever had. The T-52 Pigs are amazing smokes. If you get the chance to get some, DO IT. You will not regret it if you are a fan of LP.

The rats I've had were all great, but seemed like they were a little grubby, and needed time to settle. All of the elements, and flavors are there, but are muddled, and I think with time they are going to turn into something amazing.
    Ive got two Ive been sitting on for 3 months. You think they need a year ? More?
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    docbp87:
    PuroFreak:

I've only tried one of these and I don't know if I just got a dud or what, but I couldn't figure out what all the talk was about. It wasn't a bad cigar, but it wasn't worth the price they wanted for it, and I really couldn't figure out what the hype was all about. Maybe one day I will re-visit this stick, but it would have to be on sale for me to pick it up. I have NOT tried the T52 just the Liga Privada.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    laker1963:
    docbp87:
    PuroFreak:

I've only tried one of these and I don't know if I just got a dud or what, but I couldn't figure out what all the talk was about. It wasn't a bad cigar, but it wasn't worth the price they wanted for it, and I really couldn't figure out what the hype was all about. Maybe one day I will re-visit this stick, but it would have to be on sale for me to pick it up. I have NOT tried the T52 just the Liga Privada.
    I agree. I liked the first bit of the pig but after that it seemed to burn way too hot and got really harsh. I never thought the #9 pigs were all that great as well. Also it is a bit too thick.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Here's all you need to know about LPs......

The T9 is awesome.
    The T52 is awesomer.
    The T9 Flying Pig is awesome.
    The T52 Flying Pig is awesomer.
    And the Dirty Rat is the awesomest.

'Nuff said.
  • vegassparkyvegassparky Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 365
    havent tried the 52 yet. but the no.9 was awesome. bought one.... smoked it at the local shop...bought a box before i left that night. gonna keep this stick stocked in my humi.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    phobicsquirrel:
    laker1963:
    docbp87:
    PuroFreak:

I agree. I liked the first bit of the pig but after that it seemed to burn way too hot and got really harsh. I never thought the #9 pigs were all that great as well. Also it is a bit too thick.
    He was talking about the Rat, not the Pig. Note he said that he has never had a T-52.

Also, ALL of these cigars are "the liga privada", but there are currently a few blends, first the No. 9, which comes in 4 regular production sizes, and the Flying Pig limited release, then there is the T-52 blend, which again comes in 4 regular production sizes, and the Pig. Then there is the Serie Unico, the first of which is the Dirty Rat, which is it's own blend, reworked to best suit the (petite) corona size. Not sure why CCom lists it as a No. 9, since it is the first stick released in it's own sub-line of Liga Privada.
  • jship079jship079 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 621
    docbp87:
    phobicsquirrel:
    laker1963:
    docbp87:
    PuroFreak:

He was talking about the Rat, not the Pig. Note he said that he has never had a T-52.

Also, ALL of these cigars are "the liga privada", but there are currently a few blends, first the No. 9, which comes in 4 regular production sizes, and the Flying Pig limited release, then there is the T-52 blend, which again comes in 4 regular production sizes, and the Pig. Then there is the Serie Unico, the first of which is the Dirty Rat, which is it's own blend, reworked to best suit the (petite) corona size. Not sure why CCom lists it as a No. 9, since it is the first stick released in it's own sub-line of Liga Privada.
    I think the rat is under the number 9 for two reasons one is the hassel of adding it to the site without having to add an additional spot for the new series. two I think the Rats were under the #9 on there original run the one that never hit production. I think when they chose to run the line in full scale production it came out in the new Serie Unico line