Home Non Cigar Related

Baseball Thread

2»

Comments

• JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    Krieg:
    Not sure if any of you guys do this too, but I often go see the Braves' minor league teams. Where I live, the Rome Braves (class A) is about 45min away. Ticket prices are great, $10 for best seats! I took my 3 year old to his first game last year, and he loved it. You are VERY close to the field... We were sitting 1st row, right behind home plate and one of the Braves batters was stepping in...my son decided all of a sudden to Yell 'GO BRAVES and caused the batter to start laughing and had to step out...very comical, lol...

I also like seeing some of the guys play before they get called up to the Majors.
    I love minor league ball, it was very popular where I grew up.
  • smoke em if you got emsmoke em if you got em Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,119
    JCizzle:
    Krieg:
    Not sure if any of you guys do this too, but I often go see the Braves' minor league teams. Where I live, the Rome Braves (class A) is about 45min away. Ticket prices are great, $10 for best seats! I took my 3 year old to his first game last year, and he loved it. You are VERY close to the field... We were sitting 1st row, right behind home plate and one of the Braves batters was stepping in...my son decided all of a sudden to Yell 'GO BRAVES and caused the batter to start laughing and had to step out...very comical, lol...

I also like seeing some of the guys play before they get called up to the Majors.
    I love minor league ball, it was very popular where I grew up.
    I love minor league games..the whole atomsphere is different..you are closer to the players, most likey will see people you know at the game. We used to have the AAA Braves here in Richmond. No we have the single A team of the Giants I do believe. I still enjoy taking my wife and little girls to the games. We have a few autograph balls and stuff..its awesome, its cheap and the stadium is about 15-20min from my house..cant wait for the season to start again.
    +1. Have a few friends in the farm system. They make little to no money and they love the game. A family friendly and fun atmosphere for sure.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 930
    I've wanted to go to a minor league game for the the longest time, I just never have. The Rangers AA affiliate is in Frisco, which is about forty-five minutes I believe.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Krieg:

10 Minutes from my house is Hickory Crawdads ... They are fun to watch ... good atmosphere
    gmill880:
    Krieg:

10 Minutes from my house is Hickory Crawdads ... They are fun to watch ... good atmosphere
    They, for the most part, have cool nicknames. Crawdads proves this statement.
    Looks like Matt Garza is going to be a Cub. And it would seem the Cubs got royally screwed in the deal.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Matt Marvel:
    I've wanted to go to a minor league game for the the longest time, I just never have. The Rangers AA affiliate is in Frisco, which is about forty-five minutes I believe.
    Their stadium is about 5 min from my new house actually. A co-worker of mine went to a Rough Riders game and got to see Ian Kinsler play when he was in rehab for an injury. They have an awesome facility up here in Frisco and the games are cheap to go to. Tickets above the dugout are about $14-$16 a piece I think. We are planning on going to a game this year.
    PuroFreak:
    Matt Marvel:
    Their stadium is about 5 min from my new house actually. A co-worker of mine went to a Rough Riders game and got to see Ian Kinsler play when he was in rehab for an injury. They have an awesome facility up here in Frisco and the games are cheap to go to. Tickets above the dugout are about $14-$16 a piece I think. We are planning on going to a game this year.
    Nice. I haven't been to the park, but I've seen it in picture and it looks like a helluva place. I'm thinking about trying to catch a game myself this season.
    Kins is the man. So is Neftali Feliz.
    JCizzle:
    Kins is the man. So is Neftali Feliz.
    Agreed. Going into the season with a healthy Kinsler is going to be huge, he's underrated as far as what he brings to the lineup.
    Definitely. All those guys are super nice people. They would always hang out and sign autographs and shoot the sh!t before and after games at the spring training facility. Borbon is a cool guy, too.
    Well, now that the Colts lost I can concentrate fully on baseball ... GO ORIOLES !!!
    Dallas Greens grand daughter victim in Arizona shooting . What a senseless waste !!!
    Oriole additions this off season : Derrick Lee 1B , JJ Hardy SS , Mark Reynolds 3RD , Vlad Guerrero DH , Finally a true clean-up hitter and 3 other guys who can smash the ball , a huge offensive up-grade. Duchscherer (sp) SP, Kevin Gregg R, Uhera R , Accardo R , Hendrickson R , a respectable acq . Starting pitching will tell how far we go BUT a very respectable offense with pitching with very real major league potential for the first time since probably 96 or 97 . Will be an exciting team to watch and capable of beating anyone on any given night. Now the real question is do they have the ability to beat anyone on 2 out of 3 any given nights ??? I say yes ... but I am biased . GOOOO OOOO's !!!
  • robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    it's never too early... since Catchers and Pitchers report next week... I thought i'd bring up the 2nd annual BORK Fantasy Baseball league... last year we only had 6 guys... let's see if we can get 10-12 teams this year... we did a cash league and winners got Ccom Gift Certificates... I'm cool with that or coming up with something new... 15 sitck buy in or something... just planting the seed... it's comin up... so let me know if there is interest
    robbyras:
    it's never too early... since Catchers and Pitchers report next week... I thought i'd bring up the 2nd annual BORK Fantasy Baseball league... last year we only had 6 guys... let's see if we can get 10-12 teams this year... we did a cash league and winners got Ccom Gift Certificates... I'm cool with that or coming up with something new... 15 sitck buy in or something... just planting the seed... it's comin up... so let me know if there is interest
    I'm down to play again.
    robbyras:
    Do you guys play on espn?

I hit a home run with Kinsler on MLB The Show at Fenway. It went so high over the big green monster it almost hit the light directly above it.
  • Garen BGaren B Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 977
    Matt Marvel:
    robbyras:
    I'm down to play again.
    I'd be down if we do a stick buy in. What site do you guys play on?
    Garen B:
    Matt Marvel:
    robbyras:
    I'm down to play again.
    We used Yahoo! Sports last year.
    Headline from Baltimore Sun : O's lineup to pack a wallop , but questions remain . Oh man , 13 straight losing seasons so forgive me for feeling a little giddy . Can't remember the last time the O's had a line-up that could pack their own lunch let-a-lone a wallop hahaha !!! Come on April !!!
    gmill880:
    Headline from Baltimore Sun : O's lineup to pack a wallop , but questions remain . Oh man , 13 straight losing seasons so forgive me for feeling a little giddy . Can't remember the last time the O's had a line-up that could pack their own lunch let-a-lone a wallop hahaha !!! Come on April !!!
    the problem for the O's is they could win 90 games and come in 4th in their division... but they did make some nice additions... they need some of that young pitching to grow up really fast...
    Matt Marvel:
    Garen B:
    Matt Marvel:
    robbyras:
    I'm down to play again.
    yeah, we used Yahoo last year, but we can use ESPN this year... and I'm down for a stick buy-in... I just want to make sure we get active owners who will stay with it... so maybe it could be something like 8 sticks per player broken down as 3 Super Premiums (Anejo, OpusX, Armada, etc) and 5 Premiums (sticks we normally inclue in passes like CAO, Tatuaje, Diesel, etc...

Thoughts?

we also did a standard 5x5 scoring system which I am also open to changing....
    robbyras:
    gmill880:
    the problem for the O's is they could win 90 games and come in 4th in their division... but they did make some nice additions... they need some of that young pitching to grow up really fast...

I totally agree about the pitching robbyras that is a very true statement. However if you take a look at the rosters as they are now 90 wins would put us only behind a healthy Red Sox team. The yanks and Cashman are almost in panic mode because of starting pitching ( failing to get Lee and Pettite retiring ), they have CC Sabathia -Phil Hughes - AJ Burnett-and nobody . Tampa has lost a lot of players and even with a old Johnny Damon and a old Manny Ramirez they are no better than Baltimore. Toronto I think has a rough year. I see at least a wild-card run for the Birds this year . Showalter and a brand new coaching staff hand picked will be a bre4ath of fresh air for these guys. I think the addition of a healthy Ducsherer (sp?) and a couple of young arms continuing their progress from the last half of last season I like our odds. Not to mention we have 5 guys in the starting line-up capable of hitting 30 hr's apiece this year in Gurearro(sp?) , Lee , Reynolds , Scott , and Markakis (who will finally get pitched to instead of around ) and Roberts , Hardy , Jones , who will each hit 15 or more Hr's as well . Its gonna be fun again .

The Yankee's arn't going to win just because they are the Yankees , That doesn't mean they wont go out and spend some big bucks for a starter although there isn't much left in free agency. They could still trade for some pitching which could change the complexion of everything !!!
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    Go Cubbies!!! doubt it will do any good though
    gmill880:
    robbyras:
    gmill880:

I totally agree about the pitching robbyras that is a very true statement. However if you take a look at the rosters as they are now 90 wins would put us only behind a healthy Red Sox team. The yanks and Cashman are almost in panic mode because of starting pitching ( failing to get Lee and Pettite retiring ), they have CC Sabathia -Phil Hughes - AJ Burnett-and nobody . Tampa has lost a lot of players and even with a old Johnny Damon and a old Manny Ramirez they are no better than Baltimore. Toronto I think has a rough year. I see at least a wild-card run for the Birds this year . Showalter and a brand new coaching staff hand picked will be a bre4ath of fresh air for these guys. I think the addition of a healthy Ducsherer (sp?) and a couple of young arms continuing their progress from the last half of last season I like our odds. Not to mention we have 5 guys in the starting line-up capable of hitting 30 hr's apiece this year in Gurearro(sp?) , Lee , Reynolds , Scott , and Markakis (who will finally get pitched to instead of around ) and Roberts , Hardy , Jones , who will each hit 15 or more Hr's as well . Its gonna be fun again .

The Yankee's arn't going to win just because they are the Yankees , That doesn't mean they wont go out and spend some big bucks for a starter although there isn't much left in free agency. They could still trade for some pitching which could change the complexion of everything !!!
    I agree that NY won't win just because they are the yankees... and I say this as a baseball fan who really dislikes the yankees... regardless of who they missed out on this year, they still have one of the best lineups in baseball... sure they only have 1 good starter (Sabathia) and one decent starter (Hughes), but when you have a lineup like that, you can win...

Boston is just ridiculious (on paper anyway)... TB still has a good team... sure they lost Crawford, but they are still solid with what could be really solid pitching (though their bullpen is a big question mark)... even Toronto got better this offseason... although their moves won't provide much this year (trading Marcum was a mistake if you ask me) they are going in the right direction...

the thing that scares me about the O's is age... both too old and too young, but sometimes that can work out for the best... they need a lot of things to fall into place for them to contend... vlad needs to repeat least season, Lee needs get his swing back, Reynolds needs to not strike out 2/3 of the time (i've seen that guy a lot over the last few years and man... he swings and misses A LOT) if he could dut out 30 K's he'd be a perenial all-star... I think they have made some good moves, but they are in a very percarious position... one or two injuries to one of their injury prone guys and they are F'd...

with all that being said, it's nice to see at least try to make some progress and not just consistant throw in the towell (see: Pirates)

but like the Giants (and padres for that matter) showed last year, anything can happen...

oh, and I LOVE the Duch signing... I saw him a lot in Oakland and he is nails when healthy... not over powering, but crazy control... if he ever puts together a full season, he could win 20 and maybe a cy young... he has the potential to be THAT good
  • Garen BGaren B Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 977
    robbyras:
    Matt Marvel:
    Garen B:
    Matt Marvel:
    robbyras:
    I'm down to play again.
    yeah, we used Yahoo last year, but we can use ESPN this year... and I'm down for a stick buy-in... I just want to make sure we get active owners who will stay with it... so maybe it could be something like 8 sticks per player broken down as 3 Super Premiums (Anejo, OpusX, Armada, etc) and 5 Premiums (sticks we normally inclue in passes like CAO, Tatuaje, Diesel, etc...

Thoughts?

we also did a standard 5x5 scoring system which I am also open to changing....
    I actually prefer Yahoo! Sports. I do all of my fantasy teams on that site. I'd rather have a dollar amount that we'd have to get to with sticks, say 50$ worth of sticks (online pricing, not B&M).
    the 2011 BORK baseball League thread is now in the Trades and Pass forum... just a heads up