Home General Discussion

We truely are a "community".....

lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
I'm parked outside my B&M (which is closed right now ;-( ), smoking a LP Dirty Rat, when a car pulls up and a guy checks to see if the B&M is open. He looks frustrated, so I ask if I can help. He's from Kalamazoo, MI and looking for a nice cigar place. But due to the holiday, pickings are slim cuz every place is closed. I told him about a place closer to where he's staying and call to see if they're open. He's in luck........ they're open till midnight. He says he's a big RP Connie fan and asks if I want one. I politely decline and say that I'm more of "full-bodied" smoker. So, he hands me an ITC Camaroon Solamon. Wow! I happen to have a Tat Havana VI on me, so I return the gesture. I give him good directions to the B&M and wish him a safe New Year.

I love being part of this community.

Comments

• ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Love it! I love how something that we all have a common interest in can bring those of us from different walks of life together when normally nothing else would. Like me herf'ing out in Cali with the So Cal bork's. Had I not been a cigar enthusiast, and for them being awesome enough to come out, it would have just been another night of hanging out in the hotel but thanks to our community I had great people to go hang out and enjoy a cigar and meal with.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    On a side note: when I went into my B&M earlier, I opened my "personal stash" box to find an extra Anejo with a note from the owner that said "Happy New Year!"

A great start to a New Year.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    That's a very nice gift from the owner
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    Awesome...
    Funny, I had an experiance like that this holiday...
    Doing a major renovation on the house. Putting some smokes in the humi; one of the guys comes in to take a piss and sees me in the Humi. Turns out he and 3 of the other guys on the crew are cigar guys. SO I hook each one of them up for The new Year. They're so appreciative, they moved my fridge for me. (I was dreading doing that over the holiday weekend).
    It is a good community.
  • RaschNutsRaschNuts Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 882
    Agreed.... This weekend i was in boston visiting my friend for new years and pats dolphins game today. Yesterday besides recovering my New Years Eve we didnt have any thing else to really do so i suggested just going to check out a cigar bar that i heard about. I have known friend for about 15 years and never knew he enjoyed the occasional smoke but by me suggesting we go there to look he wants to stay and have a smoke. Now this gives me an excuse to come down to boston more. Its amazing how weather it be a stranger or a friend you have known for years, A few tobacco leaves and bring you closer.
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    I'm a contractor and a yr ago asked a new plumber I was starting to use if he like's cigars. turns out he did not a collector but a buy and smoke guy. We have takin the time to enjoy several cigars together over the yr. If were around the other persons job site we tend to meet up and take a smoke break he will bring his helper and me mine and we have a mid day hurf once a month.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    cooch36:
    I'm a contractor and a yr ago asked a new plumber I was starting to use if he like's cigars. turns out he did not a collector but a buy and smoke guy. We have takin the time to enjoy several cigars together over the yr. If were around the other persons job site we tend to meet up and take a smoke break he will bring his helper and me mine and we have a mid day hurf once a month.
    Happy Anniversary!
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    lilwing88:
    cooch36:
    Happy Anniversary!
    LOL uuummm we're just seeing one another not committed. Not that there is anything wrong with that!
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    I went down to my B&M last week and gave the owner and one of the associates a MOW because a few days earlier we talked about how they've heard of the stick but have never tried it.

As I finished up my first stick, the owner looks over to me and tells me to grab any stick from his humidor. I ended up picking out a DPG CC, a pretty fair trade.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    Back in September I went to a B&M near Detroit after getting back from Wa & Ca. One of the owners and I have done business (they carry 262). Tat6 and I were looking for a place to smoke and I had way too many cigars still from my trip to buy anything new. I know the custom and polite thing to do is to buy something if you are going to smoke there but I have bought my fair share of stuff there and never really get a chance to enjoy their nice lounge.

I ask the owner if it's cool to smoke at his store and chat with him etc. He of course is a super nice guy and said we were more then welcome to come in anytime and smoke. Long story short we are talking about cigars and smoking and my trip. I open one of my travel humi's that I brought into the store and the owner asks what one particular cigar is and what I thought about it. I reached in and gave him the opus x he was asking about and told him to try it for himself and let me know what he thought. Which reminds me I need to get back there and see how he liked it.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Giving and receiving cigars along with friendly reviews and suggestions for new sticks to try is one of the most unique things about this pastime, I love it. Heck some days at work (not many BOTL's there) I start telling my direct reports about my cigars, what I am smoking, the wrapper and country of origin, even tell them about the flavors and sizes. They have to listen but at least they look interested