Home General Discussion

Did You Know?

Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
I always find this little fact interesting and many people are surprised to hear it too.

Today, the terms torpedo, belicoso and pyramid are used interchangeably. This was not always the case but rather changed mainly in the 1990's and manufacturers started calling all cigars that taper to one end and come to a point the same thing. However, prior to the 1990's, here is what the sizes really were. Each was different:

Torpedo - The size people call a perfecto today was actually called a torpedo first. Think of the Gurkha Centurian or La Aurora Preferidos. These were named torpedos on account of their shape as they actually looked like a torpedo, tapering on both sides and reaching its maximum thickiness in the middle of the body.

Belicoso - a cigar with strait and paralel sides similar to todays parejo on standard shaped cigar. The ring or diameter does not taper but it does have a pointed head similar to todays torpdo in place a rounded head. I cant think of any real cigars that are still made in this traditional shape, but the original Cusano Corojo 96 and 97 Corona was actually a belicoso if that helps.

Pyramid - This was the official size of the cigar that people now refer to as torpedo or belicoso or still pyramid. think Montecristo No. 2, Diesel Unholy Cocktail etc.

Sometimes I wish we could go back in time to before things with cigars become over complicated, when maduro wrappers were not always dark, a Belicoso was a belicoso and it didnt matter if you tasted the "hints of anise" or "floral notes" in your cigar when making your tasting notes but you could just say, "this is just a good fucking cigar" LOL. Anyway, a little rant and some trivia for you guys.

Comments

• HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    The more you know... *star wave*
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    Hayblet:
    LOL
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    Alex Svenson:
    when making your tasting notes but you could just say, "this is just a good fucking cigar"
    I swear Alex has been reading my tastings notebook. It is either the above statement or "I don't like it" in my tasting book. My tasting book is all in my head also; easy and simple.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Hayblet:
    LOL, Spence...don't know why...but Timer popped into my head when I read this...you know...that yellow guy that was on saturday morning cartoons..."I'm hankering for a hunka cheese..."

yes...I know...I am an odd man.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    bandyt09:
    Alex Svenson:
    when making your tasting notes but you could just say, "this is just a good fucking cigar"
    I swear Alex has been reading my tastings notebook. It is either the above statement or "I don't like it" in my tasting book. My tasting book is all in my head also; easy and simple.
    That's about my system. Sometimes a note of something will present itself so strongly that I can't help but notice it, but mostly a cigar is great, very good, good or not good. Taking notes ruins my enjoyment...I'll just smoke the cigar, and the guy who thinks it matters can analyze it to death.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    Alex Svenson:
    "this is just a good fucking cigar" LOL.

This is about the extent of my palate.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    JCizzle:
    Alex Svenson:

+1.
    Let's go back to when sticks where either good or they weren't. Let's get away from the gimmicks of marketing and just focus on what tastes great. I love the Tat Red and Tat Black, don't need a coffin shaped box to like them any more than I already do. I love the Anejo. It looks like nothing special and kicks ass.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    But then that gets into the problem of tastes - I hate spice, and generally avoid cigars that have it, while others go crazy for it. What I hate, a lot of you guys will love
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    Krieg:
    that yellow guy that was on saturday morning cartoons..."I'm hankering for a hunka cheese..."

sunuvabitch......got that stuck in my head now.....
  • JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    dennisking:
    JCizzle:
    Alex Svenson:

+1.
    Let's go back to when sticks where either good or they weren't. Let's get away from the gimmicks of marketing and just focus on what tastes great. I love the Tat Red and Tat Black, don't need a coffin shaped box to like them any more than I already do. I love the Anejo. It looks like nothing special and kicks ass.
    That's kinda how the Diesel d.xs are; a simple band on the foot, which you must remove to light the stick, and all you're left with is a plain-looking stick that is very good.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i remember you telling me that once before a looooooong time ago.
    i guess time changes everything in every industry....

everyone misses the good ole days...
    i kinda do as well.
    Alex Svenson:
    Belicoso - a cigar with strait and paralel sides similar to todays parejo on standard shaped cigar. The ring or diameter does not taper but it does have a pointed head similar to todays torpdo in place a rounded head. I cant think of any real cigars that are still made in this traditional shape, but the original Cusano Corojo 96 and 97 Corona was actually a belicoso if that helps.

if i am not mistaken the JdN belicoso is this classic shape... id have to have one in my hands to know for sure...

btw... any Cusano Corojo 96s left at ccom?
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    dennisking:
    JCizzle:
    Alex Svenson:

+1
    me too! I'm not classy enough to do much but say this stick kicks a$$ or this stick sucks...lol
  • nikostewartnikostewart Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 451
    Thanks for the info!

This is a constant learning process.