Home General Discussion

Your first Man O' War...

egokillaegokilla Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 11
Greetings all, new to the forums and was interested in what your first Man O' War experience was like.

mine:
A coworker and I used to go in on the large samplers (scorched earths)
The scorched earth II gets ordered and we split the sampler in half.
In my half was the 5 Ruinations.

Around this time the starz show Spartacus was running, and I broke open the man o wars first, thinking it was the most generic cigar of the bunch as I had never seen them in my B&M's and just wanted to puff something while watching my stories(Spartacus).

That first time I toasted the foot the aroma blew me away - It left such an amazing impression on me that I decided to save them for when my show was on.

every week I would watch my show and suckle on the ruination, each time stopping the show to search the net for more information on the MOW's - sometimes even reading the same articles over and over and over again.

I've been a loyal AJF / MOW since then...

What about your experience?

Comments

• GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    Actually I have a similar story to yours. My friend and I usually split orders and he was able to try the MOW before I did and raved about it. He and I watch baseball (Twins) games in his garage with a projector in the summer and usually order some pizza. This is probably the thing I look forward to the most about summer.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    I was in Afghanistan when I had my first MOW, it was a Ruination. I was sitting in the back of a busted up pickup truck in the middle of our camp. The sun was almost set and the evening call to prayer was playing in a village near by. I could hear the horns from the cars as they passed by on the busiest stretch of road in the whole country. I was in a war zone, but I have never been more at peace in my entire life. That MOW Ruination has been one of the best smokes I have ever had. Every time I smoke one I try to take myself back to that moment. I"ll never forget that night.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    After my first MOW i became a follower of AJ. Check out my sig line!
  • smokeater187smokeater187 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 232
    i remember my first....it was a ruination..not to long ago either some time early fall. it was night with a fire in the pit going..simply breath taking...going to revisit another one tonight.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    my first MOW experience was actually not a good one at all. Someone on the boards had sent me the cigar and I really wanted to like it. I lit up and it was ok, then I got so much tar build up, it became unsmokable. I tried cutting further up but more tar built up. After that, I stayed clear of the brand for a while until someone sent me another one after hearing that story. Since my second one, I've liked them.

Just goes to show, try it twice.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    +1 I have a sampler that I bought over a year ago-tried them and didn't like them So I put them in the bottom in the back of one of my cooleridors. Checked them out couple of months ago and they are great. I like the whole MOW line.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    Haven't had one yet but I have some Armadas on the way from my COTM membership, hope to try them soon.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    I've got 'em ( yet to have paid for one thanks to all the awesome BORK's on here ) just haven't gotten around to trying them yet. Maybe this is something I'll need to do. Christmas Eve may be a good time.....................
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I actually didn't care for the first one I had. Then another member here on the board, Joz3r, suggested a different vitola with plenty of rest. I followed his advice and was totally blown away. You know, one of those times where it's almost a religious experience the cigar is so good. Lately I've really been digging the the regular MoW line too. I don't always feel like a powerhouse and those things are perfect.
  • newbiesmoker24newbiesmoker24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 94
    My first MoW was the Armada. It kicked my ass and I was immediately hooked on AJ cigars. My last 5 cigars have been in the following order - MoW Armada, Diesel Unlimited, Ave Maria, 5 Vegas Cask Strength II, MoW original. I am on an AJ marathon right now!!! All his cigars have been good at worse and amazing at best. I can't wait to try both the Ruination and Virtue for different reasons. I have the Ruination in Robuston #2 6x60 vitola!!! It is gonna be awesome!!!
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    My first TWO MoW experiences were not good ones! The first was an original - which had burn issue on top of burn issue. POS even went out on me a couple times, and tasted like butt to boot!

Second was a Ruination. No burn issues like the original, but I was very new to cigar smoking at the time and that bad boy kicked my @ss squarely up around my shoulders! LOL Was just too much cigar for me, and I need to revisit it.

Now then, I have had the Virtue and absolutely love it! Have never had a cigar even remotely like it - every time I try to describe it as a "full-bodied mild" to someone who hasnt had one, they look at me like Im nuts! LOL

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Rob1110:
    my first MOW experience was actually not a good one at all. Someone on the boards had sent me the cigar and I really wanted to like it. I lit up and it was ok, then I got so much tar build up, it became unsmokable. I tried cutting further up but more tar built up. After that, I stayed clear of the brand for a while until someone sent me another one after hearing that story. Since my second one, I've liked them.

Similar for me minus the tar build up. I thought the MOW was a bit one sided and boring. After almost a year I lit up another (actually after trying the ruination) I really enjoyed it. I've had about 29 or so since. I really enjoy them.

btw I can't wait till the new 6 parter of Spartacus is on and I'm looking forward to season 2 though I am not a fan of them not waiting on Andy.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i agree with try it twice.

i have never bought a MoW. seems like whenever i do trades, passes, or get bombed, they just show up on my door. by the time i was getting them, the hype was already there. it delivered exactly what i expected.

i know,
    worst story ever.

• DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    phobicsquirrel:
    Rob1110:

Similar for me minus the tar build up. I thought the MOW was a bit one sided and boring. After almost a year I lit up another (actually after trying the ruination) I really enjoyed it. I've had about 29 or so since. I really enjoy them.

btw I can't wait till the new 6 parter of Spartacus is on and I'm looking forward to season 2 though I am not a fan of them not waiting on Andy.
    Whats this about a Spartacus 6 parter?