Home General Discussion

Off Odor from a Padilla Cazadores

ztanner25ztanner25 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 48
You may have read in another thread that I recently had a beetle outbreak, but luckily I found it early. Anyways, look fine to smoke and smell fine except for the Padilla Cazadores. It has an odd odor that is not really pleasant, but I'm not sure if it is natural or not. Could this odor be from the beetles, or does the Cazadores just have a unique odor?

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    The Cazadores in my opinion has a kind of barnyard and hay smell to it. If it smells really weird after an infestation, I'd suggest quarantining.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Does it smell like ammonia? That could be under-aged or under-fermented tobacco.
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    I've had that Ammonic smell/taste before.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    All the Cazadores I've had have been quite good, perhaps yours are underaged, as this will give the "hay" and ammonia smells. Also possible is beetle damage, I suppose. I've had a few cigars that had tunnels in them that I wonder if were beetle infested. These have been in various brands, and other cigars of the same make were fine, but the 'tunneled' ones were bitter and harsh. Don't give up on the Cazadores though, pretty good cigar, as a rule. (at least, in my experience)
  • ztanner25ztanner25 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 48
    It is a barnyard and ammonia type smell, but also it has been resting for over 9 months. Seems peculiar to me that it would still have that odor when it has been resting for that long. Oh well, I have it quarantined and will try to smoke it sometime soon and see how it is.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    I have a box of these in my coolidor, I hope they're ok.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    ztanner25:
    It is a barnyard and ammonia type smell, but also it has been resting for over 9 months. Seems peculiar to me that it would still have that odor when it has been resting for that long. Oh well, I have it quarantined and will try to smoke it sometime soon and see how it is.
    If it's been under-fermented during the tobacco prep process I'm not sure you can save it. At this point I would call your Ccom rep and talk to them and ask them what they think.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    My reaction from smoking the Cazadores was that it was still quite "green" and needed some rest. I got strong flavors of hay that I did not enjoy at all.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    bigharpoon:
    ztanner25:
    If it's been under-fermented during the tobacco prep process I'm not sure you can save it. At this point I would call your Ccom rep and talk to them and ask them what they think.
    Yeah, I agree with this, 9 months is way too long for it to taste like this.