Home General Discussion

How do you tell the year?

BeastcigarBeastcigar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 40
On stradivarious cigars how do you tell the year? Same with opus x ? Both years look exactly the same. Also oliva v maduro?

Comments

• HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Stradivarius??? Send em to me, and I'll let you know ;-)
  • BeastcigarBeastcigar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 40
    Haha hays. Seriously, I want to buy 2010's, But they look exactly the same as the 2009s.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    2010s in what? The thing is, in a lot of cigars it doesn't matter all that much to the year... There are cigars that are intended to be vintages, in which the year is particular; in most releases, however, they are blended and reblended year to year to try for the same flavor profile. In my opinion, Stradivarius is likely one of these later releases, whereas the Oliva Vs are intended to be vintages (hence the inherent year).
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    With the Oliva V maduro, the easiest ones to tell apart are the 2008 as they were a more standard torpedo measuring 6.5x52. The 2009 release was a 6x56 torpedo, same as the regular Serie V. The 2010 is 6x54. Another easy way to tell them apart is by availability, you won't find the 2008 easily and the 2009 are also harder to find now.
  • BeastcigarBeastcigar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 40
    Thanks joz3r, that helps alot.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Beastcigar:
    Thanks joz3r, that helps alot.
    Are you looking at these at a shop? Because if so, the boxes for both Opus X and Oliva V Maduro have dates.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    im fairly sure the strativarious has the date as well...
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I really think that the bands should say what year they are from. I forget to put dates on my opus's and now I have a bunch that I have no idea when I got them as they are mixed in with the other bundles. The V maddies are easy since I have boxes of them but if I had them in a bundle I'd be a bit lost, then again they are different sizes. I just think dates would be a good thing.
  • lcpleellcpleel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    phobicsquirrel:
    I really think that the bands should say what year they are from. I forget to put dates on my opus's and now I have a bunch that I have no idea when I got them as they are mixed in with the other bundles. The V maddies are easy since I have boxes of them but if I had them in a bundle I'd be a bit lost, then again they are different sizes. I just think dates would be a good thing.
    Im having the same problems with my opus besides a few limited vitolas that i know of and maybe like 4 others that i put dates on. Looks like im going to have to let them all rest for another year or two.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    If I had my way, everyone would start using dates and codes like the Cubans do...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    phobicsquirrel:
    this is exactly why i got in the habit of putting a date on EVERYTHING. if i get cigars in the house my wife knows not to bug me till they are dated and in the box.