Home General Discussion

Favorite Davidoff

newbiesmoker24newbiesmoker24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 94
Hey Guys, I am going to a Davidoff promotional event in PBGH tomorrow and I know NOTHING about Davidoff cigars. What is your favorite line of Davidoff? Which ones should I avoid? I am usually a more full bodied kind of guy but I can appreciate a very flavorful lighter wrapper similar to Montecristo Classics. Any suggestions?

Comments

• ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    I can't speak for the entire Davidoff Line, but I bought a Davidoff Aniversario Series #2 in 2007 and let it rest until spring of 2010(had lots of other cigars to smoke first). I thought it was medium bodied, I use to prefer mild/medium bodied when I bought it, but for the last year I have moved to more full-bodied.

I thought this cigar was great for a medium-bodied smoke, the smoke output was great and flavor was complex. This is was not a disappointment. The price is a bit high but the stick was worth it.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    The Winston Chruchill line from Davidoff is pretty good.
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 269
    I went to a Davidoff tasting event a while back and enjoyed the Millennium specifically the Lancero. med-full, went well with the whiskey that was being sampled as well. Enjoy!
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    I don't have any personal input about Davidoff as I want to try their lines, but never have. However, I do hear a lot about the Davidoff Maduro and the AVO Domaine from Kuzi.
  • brotheradambrotheradam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 896
    Jetmech_63 and I had a the lastest Davidoff Puro d' Oro at an event in July and it was horrible, it no taste at all, it was like smoking paper.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    brotheradam:
    Jetmech_63 and I had a the lastest Davidoff Puro d' Oro at an event in July and it was horrible, it no taste at all, it was like smoking paper.
    funny. i had the same cigar and i found it to be wonderful. it is medium in body so if you are used to full on all ligero cigars that could knock an elephant on its ass you probably wont get as much out of it. the flavors are delicate and nuanced with the kelner musk through the nose.

my favorite Davidoff is the Maduro. that is one outstanding cigar.
  • brotheradambrotheradam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 896
    kuzi16:
    brotheradam:
    funny. i had the same cigar and i found it to be wonderful. it is medium in body so if you are used to full on all ligero cigars that could knock an elephant on its ass you probably wont get as much out of it. the flavors are delicate and nuanced with the kelner musk through the nose.

No, I'm actually a mild to medium smoker kuzi, and like a more mild cigar, but this one just didn't do it for me.
  • zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    kuzi16:
    brotheradam:

Have a special R and the Maduro resting in my humi. Just waiting for that perfect day to light one up. I am looking more forward to the maduro though.
    brotheradam:
    kuzi16:
    brotheradam:

No, I'm actually a mild to medium smoker kuzi, and like a more mild cigar, but this one just didn't do it for me.
    interesting.

i wonder if there was something wrong with the cigar.

i mean, i can understand that it isnt your taste because many people dont like the way kelner blends but i have never heard of this smoke having no taste or tasting like smoking paper.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Just tried the Winston Churchill Spitfire. I think I've found my new favorite cigarillo. There was a strange musk to the first few puffs. Not a musky paper like I found in some RP and the H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon. But it was a fragrant and tasty musk (is this the signature Kelner musk?) with some cream, wood, spice, very slight hint of leather and pepper. It reminds me of the ISOM Montecristo Minis that I have, but smoother.

Only downside? It's 20 bucks a tin and I can't find any place that sells it cheaper.

Damn, I need some more.
    wwhwang:
    (is this the signature Kelner musk?)
    yes.
    i found it to be very pronounced in the Zino Classic as well. thats the first cigar that i really knew the kelner musk. after that, i knew what to look for. there are very few blends by him that do not contain this element.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Had a hard time not dropping big cash at the B&M today, because they basically now have a 20 foot wide, 7 foot tall wall of nothing but Davidoff, Griffins, and AVO stuff. Sooooo tempting. I did get a Puro D'Oro Sublime, just to give one a try.

Wayne, if you can find them, AVO makes the Domaine blend in a cigarillo, I think Puritos? You can get a tin of 10 for like $13ish dollars, and in my experience, they are very high quality, and very similar to a lot of the larger, richer AVO, and Davidoff blends.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    kuzi16:
    brotheradam:
    kuzi16:
    brotheradam:

interesting.

i wonder if there was something wrong with the cigar.

i mean, i can understand that it isnt your taste because many people dont like the way kelner blends but i have never heard of this smoke having no taste or tasting like smoking paper.
    This is one I want to try! I know a shop up here that carries Davidoff and I need to get my ass in there and pick up a couple.
  • newbiesmoker24newbiesmoker24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 94
    The event last night was really nice. The way it worked is you bought $20 or more worth of Davidoff products (not difficult) and got admission to the event. So, last night I bought a Millennium Series Robusto (tubed) for $20 and then got a complimentary Grand Cru #2 lite for me by the rep. Afterwards, in traditional Russian fashion, a final year student of the local art institute culinary school prepared fresh salmon salad, Blini (little pancake), Russian Osetra Karat Caviar ($100/oz!), Salmon Caviar (red stuff), and Belvedere Vodka (on the rocks of course)!! It was a really great event!!!

The Grand Cru #2 was a very modest european style cigar. The draw was effortless and I had to take it easy not to smoke it too quickly. The flavor was mild but the strength of the cigar was surprising after I stood up. The smoke was creamy, with hints of almond. I think the quality of the cigar is worth it's price point; but not at that vitola. I didn't try the Millennium that I bought yet. I will let you know how I like it.
    i need more Gran Crus in my life.

the millennium series does well in a small ring so if the robusto isnt what you expected try the petite corona.