Home General Discussion

The Best Cigar I Evver Had

Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
It is inevitable, you are out at a party or anywhere meeting new people and as soon as someone finds out you have a true ifinity for fine cigars, you are bound to get one of several standard questions: Are Cuban cigars really better? and of course my favorite, what is the best cigar you have ever smoked. I am flying out to meet some collegues right now and the guy on the plane next to me just asked me the later once he found out I work in the biz. I used to have somewhat of a canned response for such a question, but last weekend, I had the privilige of actually smoking "the best cigar of my life". With the experience fresh in my mind, I figured it might make for an interesting blog.

Notice that I said experience above, what I have found over the last 20 years is that the actual cigar itself plays a small role in "the best cigar you ever smoked" contest. For me it was a Diesel Unlimited Robusto, a cigar I have smoked so many times before but this one was made special by the food, ambiance and company I kept.

As many of you know, I spend a significant amount of time traveling and blending as part of my job as a buyer and merchandiser in the cigar industry. The job is wonderful and of course is filled with perks, but it has one big disadvantage. Smoking and tasting cigars day in and day out, it becomes hard to find the time to relax with "my cigar", the one I set aside to enjoy and unwind. As a cigar lover for many years before this became my job, the time i have always made for myself with my daily cigar has always been of the utmost importance in my life. One way I preserve the time for my cigar is by keeping my last night on my travels open so that I can set aside time to spend with myt friends in the industry as friends rather than suppliers or customers, where we just smoke and enjoy each others company. Back to last week, after a 5 day stint between Nicaragua and Honduras I headed back to Managua Thursday night before my flight our Friday morning. My good friend Kris who works with AJ Fernandez accompanied me as he had been in Esteli for a few weeks and was eager to get to a larger city for some excitement. We ate at a restaurant in Managua called San Juan del Selva which is a staple for me when I am in Managua resting before traveling home. The place is amazing, not just by Nicaraguan standards but by any standards. Owned by an old Italian gentleman for the last 20 years, the menu is very pricey but the food delivers. The man can cook. Having met up with one or two othe friends who live in Managua, we feaster for a solid two hours. Appitizers from mushrooms, eggplant, small flank steak filets and monstrous shrimp the size of lobster tails filled the table. After polishing them off we moved on to a 20oz ribie each cooked to perfection and a massive baked potato as the red wine flowed. After dinner I lit up my Diesel and the smoke clung perfectly to the ligering fat cells in my mouth from that juicy steak. From the moment we sat down to the moment we left, the coversation never seemed to stop as we told stories and caught up on old times. At the end of the night as I was moving into the last third of my cigar, the waiter brought over a round of Hennessey in warm glasses which perfectly rounded off the long finish from the cigar.

I still cant get over how a cigar I have smoked hundreds of times can change so much by the atmosphere. I guess it just goes to show that cigars really are an "experience". Perhaps there is more we can do to ensure we get the most from our cigars, such as waiting for that perfect moment or surrounding ourselves around good company. I know this experience will forever change the way I think about that cigar I reserve as my own for the day.

Comments

• docedwardsdocedwards Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 319
    I can imagine that when you smoke so many it is possible not to enjoy all of them at the fullest. I understand that you have to (and maybe want to smoke a lot). I try to limit my smokes to 3-5 per week when I have uninterrupted time to enjoy. When I smoke more or try to grab a "quick" smoke the enjoyment is just not there. And certainly smoking in good company with the right ambience adds to the experience.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    docedwards:
    I can imagine that when you smoke so many it is possible not to enjoy all of them at the fullest. I understand that you have to (and maybe want to smoke a lot). I try to limit my smokes to 3-5 per week when I have uninterrupted time to enjoy. When I smoke more or try to grab a "quick" smoke the enjoyment is just not there. And certainly smoking in good company with the right ambience adds to the experience.

DAMN.....
    This reads better than a PLAYBOY FORUM! I have got to Eat at this Place and ENjoy One of my Favorites ..... The Diesel Unlimited....... Thanks for the Great Story....... I agree totally with this Thread about the Experience.... it is a whole lot more than just smoking a GOOD CIGAR! It is the Whole Kit and Kabootle!
    Thanks For your Sacrafice for us BOTL! LOL
    Ozzie
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    Alex Svenson:
    It is inevitable, you are out at a party or anywhere meeting new people and as soon as someone finds out you have a true ifinity for fine cigars, you are bound to get one of several standard questions: Are Cuban cigars really better? and of course my favorite, what is the best cigar you have ever smoked. I am flying out to meet some collegues right now and the guy on the plane next to me just asked me the later once he found out I work in the biz. I used to have somewhat of a canned response for such a question, but last weekend, I had the privilige of actually smoking "the best cigar of my life". With the experience fresh in my mind, I figured it might make for an interesting blog.

Notice that I said experience above, what I have found over the last 20 years is that the actual cigar itself plays a small role in "the best cigar you ever smoked" contest. For me it was a Diesel Unlimited Robusto, a cigar I have smoked so many times before but this one was made special by the food, ambiance and company I kept.

As many of you know, I spend a significant amount of time traveling and blending as part of my job as a buyer and merchandiser in the cigar industry. The job is wonderful and of course is filled with perks, but it has one big disadvantage. Smoking and tasting cigars day in and day out, it becomes hard to find the time to relax with "my cigar", the one I set aside to enjoy and unwind. As a cigar lover for many years before this became my job, the time i have always made for myself with my daily cigar has always been of the utmost importance in my life. One way I preserve the time for my cigar is by keeping my last night on my travels open so that I can set aside time to spend with myt friends in the industry as friends rather than suppliers or customers, where we just smoke and enjoy each others company. Back to last week, after a 5 day stint between Nicaragua and Honduras I headed back to Managua Thursday night before my flight our Friday morning. My good friend Kris who works with AJ Fernandez accompanied me as he had been in Esteli for a few weeks and was eager to get to a larger city for some excitement. We ate at a restaurant in Managua called San Juan del Selva which is a staple for me when I am in Managua resting before traveling home. The place is amazing, not just by Nicaraguan standards but by any standards. Owned by an old Italian gentleman for the last 20 years, the menu is very pricey but the food delivers. The man can cook. Having met up with one or two othe friends who live in Managua, we feaster for a solid two hours. Appitizers from mushrooms, eggplant, small flank steak filets and monstrous shrimp the size of lobster tails filled the table. After polishing them off we moved on to a 20oz ribie each cooked to perfection and a massive baked potato as the red wine flowed. After dinner I lit up my Diesel and the smoke clung perfectly to the ligering fat cells in my mouth from that juicy steak. From the moment we sat down to the moment we left, the coversation never seemed to stop as we told stories and caught up on old times. At the end of the night as I was moving into the last third of my cigar, the waiter brought over a round of Hennessey in warm glasses which perfectly rounded off the long finish from the cigar.

I still cant get over how a cigar I have smoked hundreds of times can change so much by the atmosphere. I guess it just goes to show that cigars really are an "experience". Perhaps there is more we can do to ensure we get the most from our cigars, such as waiting for that perfect moment or surrounding ourselves around good company. I know this experience will forever change the way I think about that cigar I reserve as my own for the day.

DAMN..... This reads better than a PLAYBOY FORUM! I have got to Eat at this Place and ENjoy One of my Favorites ..... The Diesel Unlimited....... Thanks for the Great Story....... I agree totally with this Thread about the Experience.... it is a whole lot more than just smoking a GOOD CIGAR! It is the Whole Kit and Kabootle! Thanks For your Sacrafice for us BOTL! LOL Ozzie --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • ljlljl Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 819
    Thanks for the post Alex! I hear what your saying. For me, when I have a tough day at work, it's nice to unwind with a good smoke. Lately I find that at these times, I'm better off with an everyday stick more so than a personal favorite. Something to pass the time as I unwind a bit. On the other hand, if I have a great day going, a great cigar just makes it even better. These are the times when I can get out a great cigar and really enjoy it. Good company helps too.

• RaschNutsRaschNuts Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 882
    Great Post Alex!!!
    I agree the expierence deff increases the enjoyment of the cigar. Im usually alone when i smoke though. Not to many people around that enjoy a good cigar.
  • GarheadGarhead Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 41
    Excellent post there Alex! I too, REALLY enjoy the Diesel Unlimited but REALLY love that d.X vitola. But you're SO right about food, drinks and company. A cigar just tastes better with all three! Look forward to more insightful words of wisdom!
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    Great post and great story Alex. I know I really enjoy smoking after my 1 year old son is in bed and my wife is curled up on the sofa reading. I usually start smoking around 9:00PM and it lasts for an hour or more depending on what I smoke.
    I sit out in my patio quietly unwinding with a cigar and coffee and a book or catalog.

I have a portable fire pit that I burn when it is cold. The weather has been cold lately and since the air has changed I can hear TAPS playing over the speakers from the airforce base(10 miles away) at 10:00PM, I kind of find that relaxing.
    My dogs come out to spend time with me also instead of staying inside, all around good time to reflect on the day.
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    Alex, I couldn't agree more. Every now and then I will have an experience like the one you posted and I find myself avoiding that specific cigar blend afterwards because I know it was not the cause of the perfect night and I can only be dissipointed by trying to recreate that time.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    It really is about the experience not the stick. My best experience was sitting in the open Lobby at a Hilton in Mexico along the Caribbean listening to a 3 piece band and smoking a stick just rolled by a pretty brunette in the corner. It was perfect!
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    I'm not nearly as experienced as most here but, I've said before, "When I am up at my Lake House with the family & friends, my cigars just seem to taste better." (Now at least I know I wasn't kidding myself).
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    I remember, last Christmas, I stood out by a frozen pond with my father-in-law and two of my brothers-in -law freezing my ass off, smoking a Casa Magna Colorado Robusto. We shot the *** and had a few laughs. I've smoked a few dozen Casa Magnas since, but that one was the best.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I'd agree with you alex, cigars are great but what makes them fantastic is the atmosphere. I don't have the luxury of smoking with others much as I don't have any friends that smoke cigars but when I can sit back in my couch and relax cigars just seem better.
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    Best cigar I have had recently... more the less ever, I'd really have to say it's two to be honest first and foremost is the Cigar.com Cuban Label that I burned to honor the passing of a really good friend, it burned perfectly the entire time and the ash held to almost three inches before it fell, to me it felt like my friend was there with me when I had it. The second cigar choice would be the LP #9 I burned at some bar place at the SE Herf, it was really more about the company there then it was about the cigar, it was so nice to be able to talk shop and enjoy a really good smoke with Ross, Chris, Tim and other people whose names I can't remember atm, I kind of think Ross stole the show since he had such outlandish stories to tell and we'll all have the memory of having our ears raped about information about Kidney Stones while the people who worked at Tobacco World made funny faces and "kill me now" kind of gestures behind this guy's back.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Don't know what it was as it was in a bag of sticks that we got from my buddies gf but the best cigar I ever had was the last one I had right before leaving Iraq. Smoking with my buddy who was the driver of my truck after going through everything we had been through. Last sunrise in country while smoking our last stick man that was a good day and a great smoke.