Home General Discussion

dry sticks?

kingtimkingtim Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 18
My wife happened to mention she ordered me a sampler from CCOM for Christmas so I reminder her where the distilled water was in case she needed to refresh the water pillow. I could tell by the panicked look on her face something was wrong. It seems that the top tier sampler was shipped with no humidification at all and had been sitting in our bedroom closet for 2 weeks now. Will I be able to bring these sticks back by allowing them to rest in my humidor? Anything special I can do to help them along? Is it standard practice for CCOM to ship with no humidification ( I order single sticks from a different source and even 1 cigar has a water pillow with it).
thanks.

Comments

• VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    Could come back...tough call. How bad are they depends on your answer. Give them a call to ask, they may be able to help....and yes they usually send some humidpacks in shipments. Take a look on the threads here and there are answers to these questions already on here. Welcome to site btw, one post and very direct. Relax and stay awhile, all will be fine.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    They were kept in the sealed herf-a-dor, right? They may be a bit dry, but some humidor time will fix that right up...I wouldn't even call that "bringing them back" really, as they're not likely to be terribly dried out. Might not be a bad idea, however, to have your wife put a few drops of water on the foam in the herf-a-dor....still assuming they're in the case... let us know how it goes.
  • kingtimkingtim Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 18
    Thanks. I will look around and see what I find on how to perhaps save these guys.
    No herf. just wrapped in cellophane and shipped in a cardboard box with some air pillows.
    I am a little disappointed that they would be shipped that way.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    kingtim:
    No herf. just wrapped in cellophane and shipped in a cardboard box with some air pillows.
    I am a little disappointed that they would be shipped that way.

Never shipped me anything that way... O do know and here other on line Stores could care less how you recieve your Sticks but not CCOM.... call your Sales rep and see whats Up.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    While on "dry stiiks"...My power went out Saturday nite and stayed out till about 6:30 a.m. (9pm outage). It was extememly cold but the house stayed reasonable ok. Last nite I pulled an LFD Double Ligero to smoke. Removed from the wrapper, cut the cap let it sit for about three minutes...within that time the wrapper had started to unravel..the entire stick seem to be drying out right in front of me. It became very brittle and crumbled within ten minutes. This was really strange.
  • jhopephullejhopephulle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 29
    what has the humidity been where you live. unless they have cracked i think if you put them in the bottom of your humidor and forget bout them for awhile. let them rest and they will slowly absorb the moisture needed. i have had some very dry sticks that if not cracked still recover nicely.
    I'm in NH so we have been bone dry.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Give 'em a month in your humidor, and give one a try. Sometimes it takes awhile, but you should be able to resuscitate.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    What about boxes of sticks that have been in the mail system? Do you guys just toss 'em in your humidors and leave them there for a while?
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    im thinking I have been dealing with some dry sticks myself latley, and I am not sure why... but it seems a lot of the cigars Ive ben cutting latley have been spliting or unraveling on the head. All my Hygromiters in my 4 humidors are reading anywhere from 62%-70 % all my humi gel pucks are fully charged..... Frustrating.
    I'm noticing more and more how this hobby is like taking care of a child or a pet. It's as if these are live creatures that require constant monitoring, care, treatment, attention...Oh wait. :-D
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Get a good bead set up, and you don't have to worry about these things ;)

As for OP's concerns, I doubt that in two weeks they could be in much trouble. You shouldn't have any problem re-humidifying them. Maybe, for the sake of caution, do it slowly. If you have an empty cigar box, maybe put them in that with a water pillow for a few days, since that won't throw them into 65% right away, since the seal on a box isn't air tight. Then after a few days, put them in your humidor, at a lower RH%, then bring them up to whatever you typically keep your sticks at.
    I have a pound of Heartfelt beads on the way. :)
  • ellinasellinas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 329
    well from what i've been told is that if you expose them to too much humidity right away they will crack...so you have to start low and work it up.....idk how low but just not at 65-70%
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    JCizzle:
    What about boxes of sticks that have been in the mail system? Do you guys just toss 'em in your humidors and leave them there for a while?
    Yep
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    Amos Umwhat:
    JCizzle:
    Yep
    For me this depends on what the weather is like and how big the order is. If it is the warmer months I will typically put them right into the humidor. If it's the frozen months I will let them sit out until they are @ least to room temp. and then introduce them to their new home. I have never had any that I thought were frozen.....hehehe except for maybe 1 that was left out on side porch, damn UPS....in that case I would put it in the fridge then take it out, let it get to room temp and add it to humidor. Quick changes in Temp and humi can not be good for them. So during the colder months I tend to let the sticks rest a bit longer then I normally would if its closer to 70s outside.

By not putting in cold sticks into your humi you are also keeping the RH & Temp. a bit more consistent then if you were to put them in the humi and then had condensation.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Sandman1am:
    Amos Umwhat:
    JCizzle:
    Yep
    For me this depends on what the weather is like and how big the order is. If it is the warmer months I will typically put them right into the humidor. If it's the frozen months I will let them sit out until they are @ least to room temp. and then introduce them to their new home. I have never had any that I thought were frozen.....hehehe except for maybe 1 that was left out on side porch, damn UPS....in that case I would put it in the fridge then take it out, let it get to room temp and add it to humidor. Quick changes in Temp and humi can not be good for them. So during the colder months I tend to let the sticks rest a bit longer then I normally would if its closer to 70s outside.

By not putting in cold sticks into your humi you are also keeping the RH & Temp. a bit more consistent then if you were to put them in the humi and then had condensation.
    i tend to keep cigars that have been shipped in my humidor 4-6 weeks before lighting them up.
    i know people that do less but i have noticed an increase in the number of burn/draw/taste issues in cigars that are under 6 weeks.
    ...under 4 is even worse.