Home General Discussion

So what ever happened...

jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
to Lanceros? There for a while everyone seemed to be on the bandwagon praising lanceros and the better ratio of wrapper to filler, etc...

Now, I don't recall seeing any hype at all recently regarding the lancero. And I was just getting to where I kinda liked them. Wha hoppen??

Marty

Comments

• docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    The majority of smokers go for the gimmick, and right now, the gimmick is still big rings (over 52... ew). I for one love panatelas of all shapes and sizes (especially lanceros though). The last hype I heard about a lancero, or any panatela was the new Tatuaje SODO, but in lieu of the Anarchy getting released, there wasn't a lot of hype. Dion's ~hl~ Maduro and Candela made some waves, but that was back a few months around IPCPR.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I for one am still a fan of lanceros Marty. The only problem I see is not with the size itself, but with the fact that not enough cigar makers are on board....there's just an unfortunate lack of interest from the casual cigar smoker who cares nothing for the idea of wrapper:filler ratio or having a better understanding of the cigar they're smoking....just like Bud Light will continue to outsell better craft brew, so too will the lancero remain largely unheralded. Just the way things are I suppose.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    I'm a huge fan of lancero cigars! I have a 100 Anos lancero resting that I can't wait to fire up. Also looking forward to the new Cain F lancero coming out. I'm not into the fad of the big ring ga cigars. I personally enjoy a lancer, lonsdale or corona most of the time more than a 6x60.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    I too am a lover of the smaller ring gauges. I love a good lancero over just about any other size every time. It is too bad that there seem to be fewer and fewer of them though...
    ejenne87:
    I too am a lover of the smaller ring gauges. I love a good lancero over just about any other size every time. It is too bad that there seem to be fewer and fewer of them though...
    The more I've been thinking about this though, the more I realized that the brands that have lanceros are the brands that (not 100%, but for the most part) really care about heritage and what not, as well as high quality product. For instance, Pepin Garcia probably has more Lancero sized cigars coming out of his factories than anyone else right now (think about it, almost every brand he produces has a lancero or three)
  • ellinasellinas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 329
    yea i've noticed that too......i've never really cared what i smoke...a good cigar is a good cigar....
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    I love smaller ring gauges but unfortunately I agree that big ring gauges are the marketing focus right now. I think a lot of it comes with casual smokers wanting a big, fat cigar for that 'bad-ass' image. Since I get almost all my cigars through deals and sales I end up smoking ring gauges much bigger than I want but that's the consequence of buying cigars on sale I guess. Hopefully coronas will get popular soon!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    ive actually seen more and more in the lancero size.
    LFD has a few of them now specifically in the Air bender and in the LG line.

La Aurora has a few lanceros now. i just got a 107 form a fellow BORK.

i still feel that they are on the way up.

classic style rollers have always known that this vitola is where it is. Davidoff Produces Very few cigars over a 50 ring.

the size that i wanna see more of is the lonesdale. to me its the perfect combination of the toro and the lancero. they are about 42 x 7 or so. too few of those around.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 938
    PuroFreak:
    I'm a huge fan of lancero cigars! I have a 100 Anos lancero resting that I can't wait to fire up. Also looking forward to the new Cain F lancero coming out. I'm not into the fad of the big ring ga cigars. I personally enjoy a lancer, lonsdale or corona most of the time more than a 6x60.
    +1...got a Gran Habano in the Lancero size the other day and have some Opus A (which are close)...love the size, pretty neat and provides for a decent smoke time!
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Nick2021:
    PuroFreak:
    +1...got a Gran Habano in the Lancero size the other day and have some Opus A (which are close)...love the size, pretty neat and provides for a decent smoke time!
    Glad to know you like lanceros! lol Gives me more hope that you will like something I threw into your package for that trade we've got working!
    Nick2021:
    PuroFreak:
    Just saying, but the 'A' size is nothing like a lancero. Lancero is, technically, 7 1/2 x 38... the 'A' size is 9 1/4 x 47. One is a long panatela, while the 'A' is a size all it's own. They are both classic Cuban sizes.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 938
    docbp87:
    Nick2021:
    PuroFreak:
    Just saying, but the 'A' size is nothing like a lancero. Lancero is, technically, 7 1/2 x 38... the 'A' size is 9 1/4 x 47. One is a long panatela, while the 'A' is a size all it's own. They are both classic Cuban sizes.
    You're right, probably a bad analogy...just highlighting the long "slender" size with a few differences.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    docbp87:
    The majority of smokers go for the gimmick, and right now, the gimmick is still big rings (over 52... ew). I for one love panatelas of all shapes and sizes (especially lanceros though). The last hype I heard about a lancero, or any panatela was the new Tatuaje SODO, but in lieu of the Anarchy getting released, there wasn't a lot of hype. Dion's ~hl~ Maduro and Candela made some waves, but that was back a few months around IPCPR.
    The Tat SODO was made for my B&M (located in SODO Seattle) and I had the chance to try one a few days ago. It was a great smoke- rich and coffee-y, kind of like the El Triunfador Original. I am also a fan of lanceros, so I hope manufacturers start moving towards this size.