Home General Discussion

to cold to smoke?

2»

Comments

• wmaxhamwmaxham Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 80
    dose pipe tobacco have more nicotine then cigars? because im trying my best not to get addicted to anything.
  • Garen BGaren B Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 977
    Don't believe it does, though I am nowhere near an expert on pipes and the tobacco that goes in them. Just remember everything in moderation, except for breathing, that you might want to get addicted to.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    wmaxham:
    dose pipe tobacco have more nicotine then cigars? because im trying my best not to get addicted to anything.
    if you smoke less than a cigar a day (averaged out in the week) you wont be addicted. I smoke one or two a week depending on the season. im not addicted at all.

...posting on the forum however, is another story. posting here is more addicting than crack.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    kuzi16:
    wmaxham:
    if you smoke less than a cigar a day (averaged out in the week) you wont be addicted. I smoke one or two a week depending on the season. im not addicted at all.

...posting on the forum however, is another story. posting here is more addicting than crack.
    This is true. AFAIK, max, pipe tobacco and cigar tobacco are essentially fungible as far as nicotine content goes. I've smoked both for extended periods, and I can't tell any difference.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    Hmmm, I just took this beauteous, wonderous habit up in the spring, and I'm generally have 3-4 cigars a week. I haven't given much thought to it, but it gets mighty cold here in western PA. I can be relatively comfortable above 20 or so...I see myself cutting back to one a week or thereabouts. As mentioned in another post, I'm a ***, so you know, I got that going for me.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    Luko:
    Hmmm, I just took this beauteous, wonderous habit up in the spring, and I'm generally have 3-4 cigars a week. I haven't given much thought to it, but it gets mighty cold here in western PA. I can be relatively comfortable above 20 or so...I see myself cutting back to one a week or thereabouts. As mentioned in another post, I'm a ***, so you know, I got that going for me.
    *** is greek for widebody with lots of insulation, not like I'm a pervert or a jerk or something.
  • WafflebobWafflebob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 118
    Nicotine is 'extremely' accictive. From what I've read, if you've smoked more than 1 pipe or cigar within a week, you're already chemically addicted. The thing is, whats really hard to kick is the habit, not the addiciton. Chemical addiction sticks around for 20-30 days, then its done, and most people dont' have too much trouble with that. What really causes problems is the physical addiction.
  • Garen BGaren B Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 977
    I'd like to know where you found that tidbit about chemical addiction. Because I found this : Link saying that nicotine is nowhere near as addictive as compared to other drugs. This is just solitary, lonesome nicotine, and though slightly addictive, is not as extremely addictive as you say.

Also I'd like to know where you heard about the chemical addiction period being 20 to 30 days. Besides we aren't on a cigerette forum, this is a cigar forum, we do this for enjoyment, destressing and the like, not because we cant go without our daily/weekly/monthly cigar.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I'd personally disagree with the addictive nature of cigars. I'm not saying they don't have nicotine, because they are made from tobacco and the two go hand in hand, but I generally smoke 1-2 cigars a day and have had no trouble going without for a week or longer several times. The only thing that comes to mind is that cigarettes and cigarillos must have additives that increase their addictive potential. Of course that's mere speculation on my part, but I think it makes sense.
    Wafflebob:
    Nicotine is 'extremely' accictive. From what I've read, if you've smoked more than 1 pipe or cigar within a week, you're already chemically addicted. The thing is, whats really hard to kick is the habit, not the addiciton. Chemical addiction sticks around for 20-30 days, then its done, and most people dont' have too much trouble with that. What really causes problems is the physical addiction.
    an almost all accounts this is wrong.

the "chemical" addiction for cigarette smokers actually lasts only 3-5 days with the actual chemical staying in the body for 2-3 days. they physical addiction is the easy part. the social and psychological habit are a far greater obstacle to overcome.
    nicotine is extremely addictive. there just isnt enough delivered to your brain in a cigar and its at a slow enough rate that your body doesnt notice or need it.

its like doing cocaine one bit of dust at a time. to little, to slow.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    The addiction will be to posting on this site, learning about cigars, reading about cigars and of course blowing your paycheck on buying cigars.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Kuzi, great info, but I truly believe that you can be addicted to anything. Cigs are as addictive as anything else, it just takes enough will power to quite or stop. Like drinking or anything else. I've smoked a few times but never felt the need to pull out another, in fact the cig did nothing to me. I drink a lot but don't ever feel the need to do so, and I do go weeks at a time if not longer without drinking. Maybe I'm not poised to be addicted to things as much as the next joe, but I've had a few people in my life who quite by simply stopping, yeah it was tough after 20 years, but they did it.
  • bbc020bbc020 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,422
    Fourtotheflush:
    The addiction will be to posting on this site, learning about cigars, reading about cigars and of course blowing your paycheck on buying cigars.
    my name is Brandon and I am a cigar addict
  • WafflebobWafflebob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 118
    I was unable to find the websites I used before back, and I'm honestly starting to think it was anti-smoking propaganda considering the results I did find.

What I found is that nicotine in general is extremly addicting, similar to that of heroine or cocaine (as they are all addictive in simlar ways) however it's much MUCH easier to quit tobacco and nicotine addiction doesn't have anywhere near the negative effects those drugs do. The chemical half life for nicotine is 1-2 hours (meaning its out of your system in that period of time) but repeated smoking causes it to stick around longer. The chemical dependence of your brain on nicotine lasts for several days however. The nicotine in cigars is not as readily absorbed as it is from cigarettes, but cigars also contain a lot more (since they are bigger)

When trying to find out how much nicotine is absorbed EVERY article I read included "moderate inhalation"  Considering most cigar smokers only inhale accidentally I think they did this to make cigar smoking seem much worse than it actually is.

On a sidenote, when looking at the dangers for heart disease and various cancers, smoking 1-2 cigars daily on average does NOT increase your chance for heart disease or most cancers (it actually lowers your chances) However, it doubles your chances for oral cancer (from 1% to 2%)

Well. If gone a week without a cigar, but still have an opus with a small pillow in a bag for me when I get the time. But I was wondering, can they test you for nicotine in yourbody? Or tabacco? And if it's nicotine, how long is it in your system b4 u pass the test?
    wmaxham:
    Well. If gone a week without a cigar, but still have an opus with a small pillow in a bag for me when I get the time. But I was wondering, can they test you for nicotine in yourbody? Or tabacco? And if it's nicotine, how long is it in your system b4 u pass the test?
    they can test for it in your body usually with a urine test. If you smoke today you can pass the test today, tomorrow and the day after... but probably not the day after that. the life of nicotine is very short in the body. thats why cigarette smokers need to re up the nicotine every few hours.
  • TshawwTshaww Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 16
    Who tests for nicotine?! :/ You might want to worry about something (if anything) illegal you put in your body
    ooooh! I forgot to tell u guys! I'm getting Togo on a plane to France to be tested on a jetlag pill. I'd get paid 2,500. But I'd be tested in a France hospital for abit. So they don't want you going out smoking a cig every 10 miutes. Plus I think nicotine might effect the jetlag pill. But they test my blood I think. And nicotine shows up or it effects how the pill reacts of something. I don't no.
  • These Filthy HandsThese Filthy Hands Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 455
    There is also B&M. They're nice and toasty plus they usually have comfy chairs and good conversation.l
  • TshawwTshaww Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 16
    wmaxham:
    ooooh! I forgot to tell u guys! I'm getting Togo on a plane to France to be tested on a jetlag pill. I'd get paid 2,500. But I'd be tested in a France hospital for abit. So they don't want you going out smoking a cig every 10 miutes. Plus I think nicotine might effect the jetlag pill. But they test my blood I think. And nicotine shows up or it effects how the pill reacts of something. I don't no.

woah what???? everything is free? how long you get to stay in france for?
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    Max -

I don't know the details of your trip, but if you're participating as a volunteer in a scientific study, please don't screw with the results by trying to find ways around their "testing." Sure, it's only a jetlag pill, but you don't know what might be changed about the results if you're looking to skirt your way around the rules. If you are unwilling to do this, don't participate in the study. If a free trip to France is that important to you, make the sacrifice and lay off the nicotine for a little while.

Back on topic, thanks to Maddy for getting me interested in trying pipes. I cleaned up one of my grandfather's pipes and gave it a test drive on Monday. My wife loves the smell of pipe smoke, so I can stay out in the garage with the door closed, and this will be a great cold-weather solution all winter long!
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Good for you, doody.
    that's what I'm doing. Havnt smoked in 2 weeks. But my sleeping patters are off whack. As u can see it's 5am and I'm still awake. I need to get to sleep around midnight for this to work.