Home General Discussion

The need for cutters?

bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
My new favorite cutter isn't for sale anywhere. It's never going to be for sale anywhere, either. Good thing I already have a life-time supply of them, and so do you!

Lately I haven't been using my metal cutter(s) at all, I've been using my finger nail. Yes, my finger nail. And it works like a champ, seriously! Spending money on new, sharp cutters started getting annoying to me and then it dawned on me that I wasn't seeing the forest for the trees. It's just a tobacco leaf for crying out loud. I thought that I could successfully make a nice, little punch in the head with my fingernail. I was right. It was easy.

I wet the cap in my mouth and the cut goes very easily. I can make the hole any size I want and I never cause any damage to the remaining cap because I go so slow I can see the cap shear before my eyes. Of course this doesn't work for torpedos but for parejo shape sticks I'm batting 1000. I haven't used my cutter(s) in several weeks.

I just thought I'd share this with everyone in case you find yourself without your cutter some day or you cutter is getting dull and causing damage when you try to use it. It works for me.

Comments

• ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    My nails are never long enough to do this...lol
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    ENFIDL:
    Same here; my nails are always nubbed
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    xmacro:
    ENFIDL:
    Same here; my nails are always nubbed
    Just cut my nails so yup not gonna get to try this.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    I know that this is how tons of people in the cigar industry do it... but honestly, I can never get a good enough draw without a cut.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    I tend to use my teeth more often that anything. I have a cutter sitting right next to my chair when I smoke and I hardly even use it. I don't know why I started doing this, or when, but it stuck and it works pretty well. This is also hard to do on a torpedo, I only tried it one time when I didn't have a cutter...
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    i use a Shell Casing out of a Winchester 308 I believe...... Great Punch... run some sand papae around the edges to give it a sharper edge and its Golden!
  • aron325aron325 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 158
    i would definitely understand it would be nice not to have to buy a new cutter when you lose one or need a sharper one but unfortunately i dont trust myself doing it with my nail lol. i think ill stick to my cutter and suffer lol.
  • GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 474
    I've yet to be successful when trying this if I don't have a cutter, however on most cigars if I don't have a cutter I just take off the cap. Usually cigars are double or triple capped so if you just pull the cap off - it's smokable. Like opening a soda :-)
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    I've switched over to using a punch most of the time, and like Red I often use a shell casing. Just don't put one in your carry-on. Or take it into DC (yes, possession of a single fired casing is a felony in our nation's Capitol).