Home Ratings & Reviews

Man O' War Armada

Comments

• VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    kuzi16:
    [quote user="docbp87] im not sure if you have noticed, but im quite verbose.
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!!?!??!?!;)
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    xmacro:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    I stick with my observations that smoking those Cigars are for Showboaters and guys who want to look or be Important! LOL Thank god Im not there!
    You might not be there, but ain't it the dream to have enough cash to do that sort of thing? ;)

I'm not into smoking expensive sticks, simply because like you said, I've never really found any that justify their price. That said, I'd like the Armada to come down a bit in price, but it's probably the first expensive stick that I'm seriously thinking of buying a box of

Dreams are good things to have! I still dont know if i would spring 20 = for to many cigars , I guess i woudlnt mind finding out if I would ! LOL
  • docedwardsdocedwards Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 319
    newbiesmoker24, look what you hath wrought. who would have thought that your review of the man o' war armada on 11-19, would create such lively discussion for nearly 2 months. Some have indicated they would like to be provided accurate, factual information, in regards to descriptions, etc. Good luck. even with Alex's insight I still do not know if it is a maduro or not. and I don't care. but I definitely want to try one now. thanks for getting this started. at least I have something to do while I'm homebound due to a rare ice storm here in dixie. not to mention the snow we had on christmas day. hope all u guys have a nice day.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    docedwards:
    newbiesmoker24, look what you hath wrought. who would have thought that your review of the man o' war armada on 11-19, would create such lively discussion for nearly 2 months. Some have indicated they would like to be provided accurate, factual information, in regards to descriptions, etc. Good luck. even with Alex's insight I still do not know if it is a maduro or not. and I don't care. but I definitely want to try one now. thanks for getting this started. at least I have something to do while I'm homebound due to a rare ice storm here in dixie. not to mention the snow we had on christmas day. hope all u guys have a nice day.
    This is what i know. I believe that Alex said that this is the first ecsu maduro wrapper ever plus in the catalog description it says rare ecsu maduro.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    Alex Svenson:
    LOL been working on a book for the better part of three years but never have the time to sit down and finish it. I am about halfway at this point. It is called "cigars in 60 minutes" and the concept is to deliver the cigar basics and a foundation of knowledge in a 60 minute read such that the reader upon completion could feel comfortable going into a cigar shop or holding their own in most cigar discussions. More than that though, I am writing it out of pure frustration with the other books on the market on the topic. Too many over complicate the whole thing and I think it is a turn off. Like wine, I would love to get into wine, but every time I try to learn about it, I get overwhelmed, intimidated and just throw in the towel. Not only that, a lot of cigar books out there try to pass of very opinion or personal preference oriented material as fact. The beauty of the hobby is the individual experience and allowing the smoker to form his own opinions. I want the book to just deliver a foundation of the science of the hobby (those principles generally agreed upon) and encourage the reader to obtain the rest of their knowledge through experience and formulating their own opinions. People pick up a book because they want to learn and they should feel invited into this hobby, not intimidated by it.

Ill take 2
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Alex Svenson:
    LOL been working on a book for the better part of three years but never have the time to sit down and finish it. I am about halfway at this point. It is called "cigars in 60 minutes" and the concept is to deliver the cigar basics and a foundation of knowledge in a 60 minute read such that the reader upon completion could feel comfortable going into a cigar shop or holding their own in most cigar discussions. More than that though, I am writing it out of pure frustration with the other books on the market on the topic. Too many over complicate the whole thing and I think it is a turn off. Like wine, I would love to get into wine, but every time I try to learn about it, I get overwhelmed, intimidated and just throw in the towel. Not only that, a lot of cigar books out there try to pass of very opinion or personal preference oriented material as fact. The beauty of the hobby is the individual experience and allowing the smoker to form his own opinions. I want the book to just deliver a foundation of the science of the hobby (those principles generally agreed upon) and encourage the reader to obtain the rest of their knowledge through experience and formulating their own opinions. People pick up a book because they want to learn and they should feel invited into this hobby, not intimidated by it.

Ill take 2
    seriously, sign me up...

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    rwheelwright:
    docedwards:
    This is what i know. I believe that Alex said that this is the first ecsu maduro wrapper ever plus in the catalog description it says rare ecsu maduro.
    Well either way it's a nice smoke. I would like to have this blend in a smaller size, maybe 50 or 48. I be that would be fantastic.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    docedwards:
    Well either way it's a nice smoke. I would like to have this blend in a smaller size, maybe 50 or 48. I be that would be fantastic.
    Yes, a smaller ring gauge would be awesome. The current size is almost too much of a smoke for me.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    Redtailhawkoz:
    TatuajeVI:
    Smoked my first Armada last night. Woah baby what an awesome smoke. Gotta hand it to Alex and AJ, I'm going to put it right up there with my favs from LFD, Tatuaje and Fuente.

Hi Tat! well this is the comparison i was waiting for, I have 2 resting, i want to smoke one but am giving them some time. I agree that all that went into this stick is the reason for the Cost, I am not a Big fan of HIGH priced sticks as Most have fallen way short of anything I would pay what I had to pay for them. I have found that i have smoke dozens of 7-13 dollar cigars that are much better than ANY cigar for 20+ ... I stick with my observations that smoking those Cigars are for Showboaters and guys who want to look or be Important! LOL Thank god Im not there!
    I don't think I've paid more than $20 for a cigar, but I wouldn't have a problem with it for a couple blends. The OpusX special releases are so rare, I wouldn't mind shelling out a few extra bucks for them. Not that I can really afford it...

Anyway, I got three of the Armadas when I signed up for the COTMC. Two left, and I intend on aging them a while. It was an awesome smoke with only a month in the humidor, so I don't think it necessarily needs the rest, but I just figure they deserve a special occasion. Just an amazing cigar from start to finish.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    kuzi16:
    docbp87:
    I'm aware of all of that, but I'm saying that the term is used to describe a COLOR sometimes, not just the process. A montecristo No. 2 can (and sometimes really do) have a wrapper, which has not undergone any of the maduro processes, but is a dark enough shade that it is described as such. I'm not saying they call it a maduro wrapper, I'm saying that the description would be "Shade of the wrapper is right on maduro, maybe colorado maduro+. See what I'm getting at?
    it is used to describe color.

... i was under the impression that this thread was about how that description is wrong.
    iduno... i mean i have been know to miss the point some times.

i hope you dont think i was trying to talk down to you. i know you know what up.
    im not sure if you have noticed, but im quite verbose.
    No sweat dude. I didn't think that. Hope you didn;t think I was being snide, because I see that I could have come across that way. Friends? Hug it out? :P

Anyway, Alex. The book. It has to happen. Especially if it also includes stories about partying in Nicaragua/South America in general. I have this funny feeling that dudes like Pete and Jonathan Drew, and some of the other younger cigar dudes really know how to throw down... There have got to be some good stories about being trashed in a foreign (and not always very tourist friendly) nation...
  • MperconteMperconte Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 367
    Nice cigar, I enjoyed most of it. No burn issues until I got down to the label. My biggest problem was the size of the smoke, I was in to if for about two hours will still more to go. I ust don't have that kind of time these days. I need the kids version of this smoke and I would be happy.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I need to try another one of these this weekend maybe.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    I was so underwhelmed. May have been a off day, but just didnt twist my nipple.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    sightunseen:
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    docedwards:
    Yes, a smaller ring gauge would be awesome. The current size is almost too much of a smoke for me.
    .... ummm, that's what she said!! lol, okay I know it's a bit late but...
    I'm thinking about trading mine away. I may smoke one more before I decide.
  • 415415 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 951
    let me know if you you decide to trade them off. ive been wanting to get my hands on a few of these
    I'll let you know. I think I've got about ten of them.
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    I still need to try one of these guys. I'm so behind!!
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Alex Williams:
    smoked my 2nd one last week. Very nice, remember you'll need time, I smoked for two hours and didn't really finish, but I was too cross-eyed to go on.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Amos Umwhat:
    Alex Williams:
    smoked my 2nd one last week. Very nice, remember you'll need time, I smoked for two hours and didn't really finish, but I was too cross-eyed to go on.
    That was my experience, too! I grossly underestimated how slow that sucker would burn and how much time was needed to smoke the whole cigar. The strength really creeps in and after 2+ hours I'm not sure how much more I could have taken anyway.
  • ironhorseironhorse Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    I really do like this cigar, but agree that the size is intimidating. Being a guy that gets antsy around the 75 minute mark, going for 2 hours on a stick this powerful is daunting. I have had 3 of them so far, and I have no shame in putting it down when it gets to the band. I figure for 120 mins, I got my moneys worth and another 20mins of smoking is just going to annoy me. Don't be afraid to stop when you're done guys. You're not supposed to eat/drink/or smoke till you get sick ;) Smoke Responsibly
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    I'm glad you guys are willing to admit its a lot to handle. I've been eying this one for months through the glass top like Rocky preparing for Apollo...
    Ken Light:
    I'm glad you guys are willing to admit its a lot to handle. I've been eying this one for months through the glass top like Rocky preparing for Apollo...
    cue the music "Eye of the Tiger"
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 739
    Ken Light:
    Yea, it's a great stick. I had mine at the NYC Big Smoke. I couldn't finish the SOB. Now I cut em in half and smoke em like Nubs.
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    I hope they age well because I got a full chest(25) of Armada. I definitely like this cigar and decided to age them inside the original humidor quality chest. I put two 72% HumipaK and it is always in 70%. I open the chest rarely just to check the humidity. I would like to learn more about members experience with Armada.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    Ken Light:
    +1 I've had one but it was a major ass-whooping for me. I looked like Rocky after he fought Apollo the first time...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    JCizzle:
    Ken Light:
    +1 I've had one but it was a major ass-whooping for me. I looked like Rocky after he fought Apollo the first time...
    i really wish that these would be released in the corona size.
    i was lucky enough to get my hands on a few in that size and it does very good things to the blend.
    kuzi16:
    JCizzle:
    Ken Light:
    i was lucky enough to get my hands on a few in that size and it does very good things to the blend.
    Yeah, while smoking I was thinking: "This would be sweet in a 48 ring-gauge."
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    kuzi16:
    JCizzle:
    Ken Light:
    I believe we have some 5 x 44 in the humidor but they are not online.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    Alex Svenson:
    kuzi16:
    JCizzle:
    Ken Light:
    I believe we have some 5 x 44 in the humidor but they are not online.
    Wel, if someone decides to buy them, I'll gladly trade some of my regular armadas for the corona.