Home General Discussion

Question about cigars and makers...

zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
I only started in February, so I'm still new to cigars...

I just have a question that I've been curious about.

Every time a manufacturer comes out with a new cigar, how come its always "the best blend" that they have made? I know they are promoting their cigars and want to sell them, but its hard to believe a lie like that. It just annoys the hell out of me with all the brands that keep doing this every time they come out with a new cigar.

Some manufacturers that do this alot, just on top of my head......
AJ Fernandez
Rocky Patel
Gurkha

Am I just crazy or does it bother others?

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    For AJ Fernandez, I think it's because he keeps trying to top his last top blend. Ex. Man O' War was topped by Ruination, which he considers topped by Diesel Unlimited, etc.

As for Gurkha and RP? I dunno.
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,725
    I'm gunna go with the short answer of... "marketing". And man are they good at it. I've spent entirely too much money in just the last 3 days because of my need to try these latest and greatest excellent blends. Now I will say in AJ's case its usually right.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    wwhwang:
    For AJ Fernandez, I think it's because he keeps trying to top his last top blend. Ex. Man O' War was topped by Ruination, which he considers topped by Diesel Unlimited, etc.

As for Gurkha and RP? I dunno.

I agree with you about AJ Fernandez always trying to get a better blend. Look at the new MOW Armada (it is going to be tasty)
    I know K. Hansotia of Gurkha always tries to do limited run special editions using small batches of rare tobacco. This could also account for "Best Blend Ever" tag.

I think cigars are like technology, they are constantly evolving and getting refined.
  • zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    t_evan50:
    I'm gunna go with the short answer of... "marketing". And man are they good at it. I've spent entirely too much money in just the last 3 days because of my need to try these latest and greatest excellent blends. Now I will say in AJ's case its usually right.
    +1 on that! I'm done buying for a long time man. Only other cigar I will buy will be the Armada when Alex puts up the deal 3 for $20. No mas!!! Humi full.
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    t_evan50:
    I just cut myself off from trying/buying "the latest and greatest". I will wait until its "the not so latest or greatest".... I need to actually smoke some of what I've purchased....
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    This year especially, AJ's blends have been the best yet. Look at San Lotano, Ave Maria, San Miguel, MoW Armada...the guy is stepping up his game big time. So while he's probably not the best example for your point, I do agree with what you are saying, especially in regards to the Gurkhas and Rockys of the cigar world.
  • zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    It reminds me of movies that are being released. Every movie is "the best movie of the summer" ...etc. etc...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    zeebra:
    It reminds me of movies that are being released. Every movie is "the best movie of the summer" ...etc. etc...
    lol. I like the movies that are released in the first couple months of the year and hailed as the best movie of the year...as if that's some great accomplishment even if it is true.
  • Christian_SappChristian_Sapp Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 441
    does anyone know when alex is going to be putting up the armda deal i wanna try those!!!
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    Christian_Sapp:
    does anyone know when alex is going to be putting up the armda deal i wanna try those!!!
    Call or email your rep, they are sending at least 5 packs out at this point, I got mine this week...
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    j0z3r:
    This year especially, AJ's blends have been the best yet. Look at San Lotano, Ave Maria, San Miguel, MoW Armada...the guy is stepping up his game big time. So while he's probably not the best example for your point, I do agree with what you are saying, especially in regards to the Gurkhas and Rockys of the cigar world.
    I guess this is an example of how tastes can be vastly different. In my opinion, AJ Fernandez has stepped down his game. While I have not had the chance to try the Ave Maria, San Miguel, or MoW Armada, I have read reviews of them at least, and I have smoked the San Lotano in both the maduro and habano. To me, it used to seem like AJ was all about making the absolute best cigars he could...

Diesel Unholy Cocktail
    5 Vegas AAA
    Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet
    Padilla Habano
    La Herencia Cubana

And yet this year he breaks out with San Lotano, Ave Maria, and San Miguel...all with fancy packaging, and rather 'meh' reviews across the board if you take a consensus. In my opinion, he's gotten a little bit of Gurkha/Rocky fever.

Again, just one man's opinion, but there it is..
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    zeebra:
    I only started in February, so I'm still new to cigars...

I just have a question that I've been curious about.

Every time a manufacturer comes out with a new cigar, how come its always "the best blend" that they have made? I know they are promoting their cigars and want to sell them, but its hard to believe a lie like that. It just annoys the hell out of me with all the brands that keep doing this every time they come out with a new cigar.

Some manufacturers that do this alot, just on top of my head......
    AJ Fernandez
    Rocky Patel
    Gurkha

Am I just crazy or does it bother others?
    It's marketing, and for the most part, that means it is all just BS. There are quite a lot of cigar manufacturers who are really full of sh*t when it comes to their marketing... not naming names, but they are out there.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    yeah, it's marketing. I usually fall for Ccom's advertising when it comes to AJ and samplers of his new stuff, but otherwise I just brush it off and wait until there are a few months worth of reviews floating around before deciding if I wanna try a sampler or not. Way too many new cigars to try them all, so why bust your wallet even trying?