Home General Discussion

My cigars and my wife

Ironmick63Ironmick63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 100
So ever time I have a smoke about a hour or two before I go to bed my wife says that she smells and taste the smoke on me and she doesn't want to lay in the same bed as me. Some nights I don't mine having the bed to myself but there are some nights I want her there if you know what I mean. So does anyone know how to get the cigar tatse out of my mouth before I go to bed for the night? I have try mouth wash, brushing my teeth twice almost everything except the old soap in the mouth.

Comments

• zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    What I told my wife was that she can either learn to live with the smell of the cigars, or learn to live without me! Well that was with my first wife... I used a different tactic with 2nd and 3rd... lmao
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Take a shower, brush your teeth thoroughly, and then chew gum.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    My wife has a few requirements when I smoke, I have to smoke outside, I am required to shower, brush my teeth and use mouthwash. The rules are the rules. I tolerate it because she loves guns, and boy can she shoot.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Maybe the title of the thread should be "My cigars OR my wife"...

All joking aside I would do what the others have suggested. Shower, brush, mouthwash. The other thing you might do is have that cigar earlier in the day.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    Good call, Russ. Plus, nothing beats a morning cigar with a cup of strong coffee.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    I usually try to wear a robe or some kind of jacket over my cloths to help keep the smoke off of me (in the winter time that is). I then will brush my teeth and use some mouth wash. My wife doesn't require me to take showers, but I try to keep the smell to a minimum.
  • xIcedGuardianxxIcedGuardianx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 873
    I'm lucky cause my girlfriend is my smoking partner.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Been smoking cigars for sixteen years and my wife never once complained. I just don't smoke in the house, or her car.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    My girl likes the smell of a fine cigar... That being said.... GET SOME!!!!
    I mean sorry... I'm lucky I don't have that issue.

• PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 739
    stephen_hannibal:

I'm in that same boat. She started smoking with me too. We got lucky bro
  • JohnnySlicksterJohnnySlickster Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 48
    PsychoSJG:
    stephen_hannibal:

I'm in that same boat. She started smoking with me too. We got lucky bro
    Me three. My girl loves the smell of smoke in my hair and smoking jacket, but typically doesn't like in on my breath...I think that's the kicker with most girls
  • sol1821sol1821 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 706
    ShotgunJohn:
    My wife has a few requirements when I smoke, I have to smoke outside, I am required to shower, brush my teeth and use mouthwash. The rules are the rules. I tolerate it because she loves guns, and boy can she shoot.
    lucky bugger, my ex gf never let me go shooting, spent 2.5 years of not going to the range, weekend after we split i was there:D
  • MBISONMBISON Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 45
    Ironmick63:
    So ever time I have a smoke about a hour or two before I go to bed my wife says that she smells and taste the smoke on me and she doesn't want to lay in the same bed as me. Some nights I don't mine having the bed to myself but there are some nights I want her there if you know what I mean. So does anyone know how to get the cigar tatse out of my mouth before I go to bed for the night? I have try mouth wash, brushing my teeth twice almost everything except the old soap in the mouth.
    Hey Iron, I stumbled uppon this a while ago and was really helpful since my wife also hates my "cigar breath". Hope you find it helpful. Please read the part that talks about "cigar aftertaste". A lot of other interesting stuff in there bout cigar etiquette..... if you care to read. Enjoy and good luck with the wifey!!!! http://www.cigarcyclopedia.com/images/stories/cigarprimer/primer6smoking90207.pdf
  • ellinasellinas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 329
    what works for me is brushing teeth+the tongue, and then using listerine? did i spell that  right? you could try that
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    Brush teeth + mouthwash. I've read somewhere that cigar smoke is slightly akaline, so maybe drinking something slightly acidic will balance out the pH in your mouth.
  • Ironmick63Ironmick63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 100
    MBISON:
    Ironmick63:
    Hey Iron, I stumbled uppon this a while ago and was really helpful since my wife also hates my "cigar breath". Hope you find it helpful. Please read the part that talks about "cigar aftertaste". A lot of other interesting stuff in there bout cigar etiquette..... if you care to read. Enjoy and good luck with the wifey!!!! http://www.cigarcyclopedia.com/images/stories/cigarprimer/primer6smoking90207.pdf
    Thanks alot for the information this is going to help me out big time. I'm going to try some of this stuff tonight since I'll be out smoking at a drew estates event. Thanks again
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    sol1821:
    ShotgunJohn:
    lucky bugger, my ex gf never let me go shooting, spent 2.5 years of not going to the range, weekend after we split i was there:D

I did get lucky, my wife was raised with a father that has guns and always taught her gun appreciation. My wife loves 12ga shotguns and has an XD 45 and also her own 30.06. My wife is a great trap shooter, and fantastic target shooter.
    I guess the funny thing is when we camp or hunt together she doesn't mind my cigars, or if we are outside. I guess she only minds the smell when she hasn't been around during the smoke.
  • JZJZ Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 827
    PuroFreak:
    What I told my wife was that she can either learn to live with the smell of the cigars, or learn to live without me! Well that was with my first wife... I used a different tactic with 2nd and 3rd... lmao
    Ah, the curse of the LEO! Many wifes, many divorces!
  • SchroozSchrooz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 165
    I saw this on a CSI tv show where one of the characters couldn't get rid of the smell of a badly decomposed body she had worked with. ANd it may just work with cigars. Squeeze some lemon/lime on to your head when you shampoo. And gargle with lemonade.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Just say, "Marty's wife is cool. Why can't you be?"...... See how that works. LOL!
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,725
    My wife doesn't seem to mind the smell even tho she was a smoker and quit when we met.(claims it makes it even worse now) She doesnt want it in the house and I don't either for that matter, but otherwise she's pretty cool about it. And as for guns...she already owned a Ruger .357 mag revolver when we met. So obviously we're good there. :)
  • robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    Ironmick63:
    MBISON:
    Ironmick63:
    Thanks alot for the information this is going to help me out big time. I'm going to try some of this stuff tonight since I'll be out smoking at a drew estates event. Thanks again
    +1 this is some good info...
  • MBISONMBISON Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 45
    robbyras:
    Ironmick63:
    MBISON:
    Ironmick63:
    Glad I could share that with you.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I think you should find out which cigars tend not to leave that "cigar" taste in your mouth as long. Personally I don't smoke at night as I have found that no amount of bushing, mouthwash (listerine included) will get rid of it. Sure for a moment but it comes back. I find that if you smoke earlier say a few hours before you go to bed then maybe drink some coffee and eat it won't be as bad. Wine seems to mask it rather nicely especially merlots at least for me. I hear there's a spray or something for cigars but I haven't tried it.
  • Ironworker63Ironworker63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 185
    lilwing88:
    Just say, "Marty's wife is cool. Why can't you be?"...... See how that works. LOL!
    Marty...now you did it. Steve took your advise (you kinda knew he would) and he's at my front door looking for a place to stay for a couple of weeks. How many bedrooms do you have, it looks like the both of us are coming to stay at your place. Just think of it...we can be like the little rascals...LMAF!!! We always knew your wife was COOL but never realized she was this cool letting you turn your place into a frat house...Who else is in? Gotta go start packing.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 938
    robbyras:
    Ironmick63:
    MBISON:
    Ironmick63:
    +2
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Smoke on a fairly full stomach (after dinner).
    Come back inside and throw your clothes in the laundry (I ususally toss em right into the washer.
    Take a shower
    Eat an Apple
    Brush your teeth and use a tongue scraper
    Mouthwash a couple times.

You will still have some aftertaste, but hopefully this will minimize it!.

I try to do this on nookie nights.

• KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    I think it's funny how everyone's after smoke ritual is just as varied as our own tastes in cigars, lol.
  • ironhorseironhorse Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    My girlfriend gets suspicious when I don't smell like cigars!! She wants to know why I don't smell like "me". Hahaha, she doesn't love or hate the smell, but I think the familiarity of me doing my normal things comforts her. Like an old comfy sweatshirt ;)