Home General Discussion

Interesting sight

jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
I pulled up behind a small foreign car this afternoon and did a double-take when I read his personalized license plate. The California license plate itself read," LIGERO1" and the decorative frame around the plate was inscribed at the top with "El Ligero" and at the bottom it said, "Coalcoman Mich".

It turns out that Coalcoman is a village in the mountains of southwestern Michoacan, Mexico.

Further, I had always thought that ligero meant strong, or powerful. Google's translator says it translates to 'light'. Go figure. I guess I haven't been paying attention - I thought I read that the leaves at the top of the tobacco plant were called ligero and were the stronger leaves. Maybe I got it backward.

Anyway, I thought it was a funny coincidence with that license plate.

Marty

Comments

• PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    jlmarta:
    I pulled up behind a small foreign car this afternoon and did a double-take when I read his personalized license plate. The California license plate itself read," LIGERO1" and the decorative frame around the plate was inscribed at the top with "El Ligero" and at the bottom it said, "Coalcoman Mich".

It turns out that Coalcoman is a village in the mountains of southwestern Michoacan, Mexico.

Further, I had always thought that ligero meant strong, or powerful. Google's translator says it translates to 'light'. Go figure. I guess I haven't been paying attention - I thought I read that the leaves at the top of the tobacco plant were called ligero and were the stronger leaves. Maybe I got it backward.

Marty

They are called ligero because they are at the top and receive the most sun"light" and therefor are the strongest leaves from the plant.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    PuroFreak:
    jlmarta:

Marty

They are called ligero because they are at the top and receive the most sun"light" and therefor are the strongest leaves from the plant.
    Nice grab, was about to say the same. Very cool sighting Marty, I never see clever custom plates like that is socal, most of the customs I see are the utter definition of banal.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i should change my plates to say "Corojo"
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    PuroFreak:

Yeah, I think that's what was confusing me. I was thinking of the term 'light' as somewhat synonymous with 'mild' and I remember folks talking about 'triple ligero' as being pretty strong. Anyway, thanks for straightening me out.

Marty

jlmarta:
    PuroFreak:

Yeah, I think that's what was confusing me. I was thinking of the term 'light' as somewhat synonymous with 'mild' and I remember folks talking about 'triple ligero' as being pretty strong. Anyway, thanks for straightening me out.

Marty

Glad to help! Always glad when some of the very little knowledge actually comes in handy! lol I don't know much but that was one I could actually pull outta my a**.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    PuroFreak:
    jlmarta:
    PuroFreak:

Marty

Glad to help! Always glad when some of the very little knowledge actually comes in handy! lol I don't know much but that was one I could actually pull outta my a**.
    LMAO... Puro, you were doing so good... until you mentioned where you pulled that info from. I'll be right back. Feel the need to wash my hands, LMAO
    laker1963:
    PuroFreak:
    jlmarta:
    PuroFreak:

Marty

LMAO... Puro, you were doing so good... until you mentioned where you pulled that info from. I'll be right back. Feel the need to wash my hands, LMAO
    Don't lie, you know you sniffed your fingers first! LMAO
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    PuroFreak:
    laker1963:
    PuroFreak:
    jlmarta:
    PuroFreak:

Marty

Don't lie, you know you sniffed your fingers first! LMAO
    Kind of like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1wufZsZgKA
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    that link was hilarious!!!