Home General Discussion

New Idea for my Moisture Device! Please Help!

timberhamtimberham Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9
Hello all!

I do not mean to post to this forum with unwanted spam. I'm greatful to all that have helped me so far, but I need your help again. For those of you who have yet to find my thread I need your help too!

My name is Tim Hamerly and I am a senior working on a thesis project in which I have developed a moisture device that could be implemented into the humidors. Basically, it would release moisture into the humidor over a long long period of time and also tell you when it needed more water. I am currently in the process of doing market research, as you may have guessed.

I know devices like this already exist, but mine would both maintain a humidity level and it would tell you when it was about to run dry. I feel that this new idea is an improvement on my last one. Also, I would like to attach some form of a communications device that would notify the user via WiFi or RFID that the device was nearly out of water.

If you have just a few minutes to fill out this survey, it would be greatly appreciated. It has been modified slightly since the last time it was posted. If you took my earlier one, you do not need to retake this, but you still can as the new information would help a lot!

Again, I do not mean to post this as spam. I am truly trying to develop this product and could really use your help to determine if this product is worth while to the smoking community.

Any questions or concerns can be sent to my email address; thamerly@carthage.edu, and I will address them as soon as possible. Any advice can also be submitted to me through email or this forum thread and would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you for all your help!

Link to survey:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/embe...WVhqdUllQXc6MA

Comments

• GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    Done.

Do you know what size humidor this system would work for? I know there is a lot of discussion on other systems only working for large 500+ ct humidors.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Isn't this idea already developed and produced by Alec Bradley and their new humidification systems?
  • tkohlertkohler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 70
    You may want to clarify the question about how much you spend on cigars, is that per cigar? Per week/month/year? Ever?
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
  • timberhamtimberham Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9
    Goldy:
    Done.

Do you know what size humidor this system would work for? I know there is a lot of discussion on other systems only working for large 500+ ct humidors.

Ideally this would work for any size humidor, the gel would need refilling a little more often, but the size of the device can be altered
    laker1963:
    Survey sent.

Thanks!
    stephen_hannibal:
    Done...

Thanks!
    tkohler:
    You may want to clarify the question about how much you spend on cigars, is that per cigar? Per week/month/year? Ever?

Will do, thanks for the input
    wwhwang:
    Isn't this idea already developed and produced by Alec Bradley and their new humidification systems?

Similar ones are out there, but not like this that I know of
  • JohnnySlicksterJohnnySlickster Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 48
    Done and done.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    How much testing have you done on this? There are already devices like the Oasis XL (II?) that can relay your humidor's RH wirelessly; plus, you always gotta consider how prone your material is to growing mold; one reason those pucks are so bad is because of their tendency to grow mold after a few months

Anyway, you may wanna edit your survey; there aren't many boxes that cost less than $50
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    Done. Keep me posted please.
  • Christian_SappChristian_Sapp Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 441
    Hey tim, it is a great idea the cigar oasis ultra notifies you when it is running low on water by beeping extremely load i like the wifi idea tho. I am also a college student having to write a research paper on ccom, we should talk maybe some of our research over lap. Email me at shortysapp707@aim.com
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    xmacro:
    How much testing have you done on this? There are already devices like the Oasis XL (II?) that can relay your humidor's RH wirelessly; plus, you always gotta consider how prone your material is to growing mold; one reason those pucks are so bad is because of their tendency to grow mold after a few months

Anyway, you may wanna edit your survey; there aren't many boxes that cost less than $50

Hey thanks for the advice on both fronts. First off, the mold issue. So I've thought about that and some testing should show how prone the gel is to growing mold. The pore size on this gel is relatively small so we will see if a problem comes up. Second off, thanks I'll change the question. Originally I just had "How much do you spend on your cigars?" but people were confused if I meant per box or per cigar so I changed to per box. I'll up the ranges right now. Thanks for the help though!
    Thanks everyone for the input, please keep it coming! I will try and give an update in a few days on where the project is at!
    Just bumping the thread.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    timberham:
    xmacro:

Hey thanks for the advice on both fronts. First off, the mold issue. So I've thought about that and some testing should show how prone the gel is to growing mold. The pore size on this gel is relatively small so we will see if a problem comes up. Second off, thanks I'll change the question. Originally I just had "How much do you spend on your cigars?" but people were confused if I meant per box or per cigar so I changed to per box. I'll up the ranges right now. Thanks for the help though!
    Just make sure you test above 75F and above 75% at the very least; almost anything can grow mold, though silicone beads and the gels are more resistant
  • RaschNutsRaschNuts Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 882