Home General Discussion

Sam leaving Oliva?

zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
http://thecigarfeed.com/?p=3107

Hearing from a few sources that Sam Leccia will be out at Oliva Cigar Co. Still waiting on official word from Oliva, but it sounds like the Nub and Cain brands will become part of the recently launched Studio Tobac extension from Oliva. Also hearing reports that there will be some limited releases that will be launched under the Studio Tobaco brand. No word on where Sam might be going, but I would guess he’ll try to do his own projects.Update: I should be clear, I am not sure if Sam left or Sam was asked to leave. I’m also unsure what would be the cause of either. Oliva’s recently announced Studio Tobac will be launched shortly and I imagine that there will be some more answers.

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Did he ever actually work for Oliva? I thought he just contracted the Oliva's to make his cigars. I'm probably misunderstanding something here.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    Russ55:
    Did he ever actually work for Oliva? I thought he just contracted the Oliva's to make his cigars. I'm probably misunderstanding something here.
    My local shop owner doesn't like Sam. Heard some stories about his foray into cigars and cigar rolling that kinda makes me look down my nose at him as well.

• xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    bacon.jay:
    Russ55:
    My local shop owner doesn't like Sam. Heard some stories about his foray into cigars and cigar rolling that kinda makes me look down my nose at him as well.

You've piqued the interest of the forum - the story must be told!
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    He does/did work for Oliva and Sam was a stand up guy when I met him. I talked to him about how he got into cigars and into the business and eventually into blending/rolling and he has definitely worked his way up. I just wouldn't pass judgment until you meet the guy.

Either way, I wish Sam the best in his venture, whether it be continuing with Oliva, moving on to another company or starting up something of his own. I agree that it would be a pretty awesome team up between Sam and Pete, but I don't see that happening. I'll have to shoot him a text soon.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    bacon.jay:
    Russ55:

All the stories I've heard about him getting into rolling cigars made me appreciate the guy even more. He pretty much learned on his own, and as Rob said, I've met him as well and thought he was a stand up guy also. I tend to not look down my nose at any of these guys because they have made it into a business that is tough to get into, and he has put out some awesome smokes. Even if I don't care for their smokes though, I still don't look down my nose at anyone.
  • Christian_SappChristian_Sapp Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 441
    so if sam leaves then what would happened to the nub and cain lines would sam take them and the blends or would oliva keep them?
  • zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    Christian_Sapp:
    so if sam leaves then what would happened to the nub and cain lines would sam take them and the blends or would oliva keep them?
    Pretty positive those stay with Oliva, unless Sam buys the name rights or some thing, which wont be cheap, and I doubt Oliva sells...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Christian_Sapp:
    In all honesty, I couldn't really care less what happens to either line, the only cigar I'd miss if it were to go away is the Cain F, and even that wouldn't bother me too much. There is too much gimmick and not enough substance in those two lines...in my opinion.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Christian_Sapp:
    Oliva gets to keep the Nub and Cain lines, as even though Sam Leccia created them, the Oliva family owns the rights to them as Sam Leccia was working for the Oliva family, not with them.
  • Christian_SappChristian_Sapp Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 441
    j0z3r:
    Christian_Sapp:
    In all honesty, I couldn't really care less what happens to either line, the only cigar I'd miss if it were to go away is the Cain F, and even that wouldn't bother me too much. There is too much gimmick and not enough substance in those two lines...in my opinion.

yeah i am kinda starting to agree with you i think i got caught up in the nub, cain, and cain nub craze when it started to cool down they are not as good as i use to think they were dont get me wrong i still think they are a good stick but not as amazing as i use to think they are, im trying the cain f tonight. Its all about the 5 vegas
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Christian_Sapp:
    j0z3r:
    Christian_Sapp:
    yeah i am kinda starting to agree with you i think i got caught up in the nub, cain, and cain nub craze when it started to cool down they are not as good as i use to think they were dont get me wrong i still think they are a good stick but not as amazing as i use to think they are, im trying the cain f tonight. Its all about the 5 vegas
    The whole thing with the Nub and then Cain struck me as odd because up to that point I had viewed Oliva as a company that produced cigars that were good enough to stand on their own and didn't need slick, overstated ad campaigns to sell. To each his own though, I know there are quite a few on here who would disagree and feel both lines are very good and not overly hyped.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    wwhwang:
    Christian_Sapp:
    Oliva gets to keep the Nub and Cain lines, as even though Sam Leccia created them, the Oliva family owns the rights to them as Sam Leccia was working for the Oliva family, not with them.
    Realistically, none of us is privy to what contractual terms may or may not be involved here. Anything anyone says about what WILL happen needs to be taken with skepticism, unless that person provides some sort of information that would indicate they have knowledge about what they are speaking.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    One2gofst:
    wwhwang:
    Christian_Sapp:
    Realistically, none of us is privy to what contractual terms may or may not be involved here. Anything anyone says about what WILL happen needs to be taken with skepticism, unless that person provides some sort of information that would indicate they have knowledge about what they are speaking.
    I'm just basing this off of what The Cigar Feed wrote, man.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    j0z3r:
    Christian_Sapp:
    j0z3r:
    Christian_Sapp:
    The whole thing with the Nub and then Cain struck me as odd because up to that point I had viewed Oliva as a company that produced cigars that were good enough to stand on their own and didn't need slick, overstated ad campaigns to sell. To each his own though, I know there are quite a few on here who would disagree and feel both lines are very good and not overly hyped.

I absolutely agree with you j0z3. The NUB line, for me, is okay. But just that. It's okay. I personally get the best performance out of long, thin cigars, not short fat ones, so a mediocre blend, in a size I don't care much for... not for me. And as for the Cain stuff... The Maduro is basically a cigarette with a 100x dose of nicotine. Absolutely disgusting. The Habano is bland, and lacks balance, and flavor, while still being far too powerful. The F is okay... but again, just that... it's "OKAY", but ultimately a gimmick... THE STRONGEST CIGAR. Gross. Who gives a Sh1t how strong a cigar is. Anyone smoking a cigar only because it is strong is a fool for wasting their money.

Also, when Sam created Nub, he was a rep for Oliva, hence his connection to them. He had the idea, brought it to them, and they picked it up.
    xmacro:
    bacon.jay:
    Russ55:

You've piqued the interest of the forum - the story must be told!
    It's been a while since I've talked with my shop owner about it so I don't know a lot of details, but based on what I've heard so far, Sam blows quite a bit of smoke. And while I'm sure he's a nice enough guy and all, apparently he's not so willing to help out a fellow tobacconist, be it for information or advice or otherwise.

And the comment about how Sam got started in cigars stems from an Oliva event that my shop owner was at where Sam first got connected with the Oliva family.

wwhwang:
    One2gofst:
    wwhwang:
    Christian_Sapp:
    I get it. And it does sound like the brands are staying with Oliva. All I am saying is that, in and of itself doesn't really tell us a lot about the ownership of the brands. For instance, if Oliva owned 70% of the brand and Sam 30%, then, yes, the brand would stay with Oliva, but Sam would need to be compensated for his share. There are a million ways their business relationship might be structured and likely no one will ever know.
    One2gofst:
    wwhwang:
    One2gofst:
    wwhwang:
    Christian_Sapp:
    I get it. And it does sound like the brands are staying with Oliva. All I am saying is that, in and of itself doesn't really tell us a lot about the ownership of the brands. For instance, if Oliva owned 70% of the brand and Sam 30%, then, yes, the brand would stay with Oliva, but Sam would need to be compensated for his share. There are a million ways their business relationship might be structured and likely no one will ever know.
    According to Cigar Aficionado, Sam doesn't own any of the Cain or Nub brands, they'll stay with Oliva.

And I believe that is the case. I'll use my NFL team, the Rams, as an example. Chip Rosenbloon and Lucia Rodriguez were the "owners" of the team. They owned 60% of it Stan Kroenke owned 40%. They own the Rams and can do with it what they like. Still Kroenke receives 40%. If Leccia and Oliva have a similar arrangement, then there will need to be a buyout, even though Oliva is the owner. This is personal opinion, but I cannot believe Sam would develop not one, but two lines and a number of different blends without any sort of stake in the success of the lines.
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    Sam and Jose Oliva are both good friends and while I am not sure what transpired, I do wish sam well. That said, to clear the air, all of the Nub and Cain brands are100% Oliva owned. For my money, I rather enjoy Bo brands. I find them to be legitimate cigars and especially enjoy the Cain habano for sure. Nothing is going to change in the Cain and Nub lineup as the same team will be in place both at the factory and with Oliva with the exception of sam. I am very excited about studio tabac which should be unveiled next year but what details about it I have gotten, I can tell you Oliva is on a roll and this is going to only keep that trend going.

Remember that the cigar industry is very small with retail sales nationwide at just over one billion dollars a year (for reference UPS e company alone is roughly 40 times larger than the entire industry) and there are a great number of players all competing for shelf space the spot as the consumers everyday cigar. There is something to be said for Oliva for sure, the established themselves as a premium brand with a deep family history in the business and their quality and pricing in my opinion built trust with the consumers. Over the last several years, there has been a surgence in a younger consumer that is mire attracted to innovative and boutique concepts in cigar making as you have seen with some of the swankier lines like tatuaje, illusion etc. It really actually started with CAO about ten years ago. Oliva, in my opinion of course, is really one of the only cigar makers that has been able to capitalize on both segments of demand in the industry combining their rich history and knowledge of cigar making with innovative concepts and have effectively been able to attract all types of cigar lovers. Not an easy feat I can tell you. Jose is a real pioneer in the cigar business, and easily one of the people in the industry I respect the most because he is extremely bright and innovative. Under the continued leadership if Jose and his brothers and sisters, I can tell you that Oliva, Cain and Nub will continue to prosper, I have little doubt.