Home General Discussion

hunting with cigars

cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
Any one hunt with cigars!

Comments

• KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    Nope. All my Buddies hunt w/guns or Bow & Arrow..
    Sorry. Couldn't resist.
  • vegassparkyvegassparky Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 365
    I take five or more sticks with me, but i dont burn any until i bag my pray. kinda a victory dance!
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    I think I would be a little upset if someone fired up a stogie in the woods. You dont beat a deer's eyes, ya gotta beat its nose... and the scent of a cigar tells a deer "Hmmmm, that smell shouldnt be here - I probably shouldnt be here either!"

• bobdbobd Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 71
    Wow i was just going to ask this question. I would agree with saving them for a victory smoke.
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    I second that I've never before and I know it will give me away. being a victory dance seems like a way better to enjoy!
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    Well for deer hunting, yeah, I'd agree to wait for a celebratory smoke. But I'm going on a pheasant hunt this weekend, and me and my buddies always stop by the shop in Gettysburg where we hunt and stock up. We smoke in the field...no problem other than trying to manipulate a shotgun and a cigar at the same time.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    Luko:
    Well for deer hunting, yeah, I'd agree to wait for a celebratory smoke. But I'm going on a pheasant hunt this weekend, and me and my buddies always stop by the shop in Gettysburg where we hunt and stock up. We smoke in the field...no problem other than trying to manipulate a shotgun and a cigar at the same time.

Agreed......... I have a good stick in the duck blind with me all the time.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    I hunted many a terrorist while smoking stogies. But word to the wise only during the daytime, at night the glow gives your position away.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 938
    I haven't smoked stogies while hunting but will this year as I duck hunt quite often and it would really help pass the time while standing out in the marsh!
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Luko:
    No problem other than trying to manipulate a shotgun and a cigar at the same time.
    Ya know, that actually sounds like some bad potential there.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    My SIG552 has a storage tube above the barrel that's just the right size for storing a cigar, but I haven't tried it yet.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,487
    I take a few with me and usually enjoy one if we are sitting at the fire. or after I shoot or arrow something.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,487
    The Sniper:
    I think I would be a little upset if someone fired up a stogie in the woods. You dont beat a deer's eyes, ya gotta beat its nose... and the scent of a cigar tells a deer "Hmmmm, that smell shouldnt be here - I probably shouldnt be here either!"

Sorry about the back to back posts .... read original post and replied to that one first but then scrolled up and read this ..... My buddy's father is like a damn chimney in the woods with his nasty cigarettes and he bags at least 2 deer a year for the last ..... well I've known him for 7 years so at least 2 and 3 on a few occasions each year for the last 7 years................ I dont get it!
  • shawtdshawtd Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 72
    I'm going deer hunting in a week. It's my first time to go deer hunting, but was planning to take some sticks to enjoy around the fire in the evenings at the camp on the edge of the hunting area. I figure that shouldn't be a problem. I know of hunters that smoke cigarettes or chew tobacco while they hunt. I don't think a cigar is much different. Glad to hear the other opinions though.
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    Ahhhhh the only thing I like talking about even more than cigars..... Hunting. Love this topic and I hunt literally as much as I can. I sat in the stand a few days this week for archery in PA and headed out for Goose in Wisconsin this weekend, then to Texas for deer the weekend after that. I simply can't get enough of it. Nothing beats shooting a big trophy and field dressing the SOB with a celebratory cigar in my mouth. I find hunting and cigars are a lot alike as they bring guys together. Every so often I get over to Africa for a hunt and each time I have gone with friends and some cigar makers as well. While the hunting was always great, my most memorable moments were the days we sat around smoking before the hunt talking about how excited we are while puffing away. Also, the experience of coming back to the skinning shed at the end of each day to compare trophies with your buddies while smoking cigars and passing a bottle of whisky is an experience I will not soon forget and one I hope to get again soon.
  • jship079jship079 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 621
    Alex Svenson:
    Ahhhhh the only thing I like talking about even more than cigars..... Hunting. Love this topic and I hunt literally as much as I can. I sat in the stand a few days this week for archery in PA and headed out for Goose in Wisconsin this weekend, then to Texas for deer the weekend after that. I simply can't get enough of it. Nothing beats shooting a big trophy and field dressing the SOB with a celebratory cigar in my mouth. I find hunting and cigars are a lot alike as they bring guys together. Every so often I get over to Africa for a hunt and each time I have gone with friends and some cigar makers as well. While the hunting was always great, my most memorable moments were the days we sat around smoking before the hunt talking about how educated we are while puffing away. Also, the experience of coming back to the skinning shed at the end of each day to compare trophies with your buddies while smoking cigars and passing a bottle of whisky is an experience I will not soon forget and one I hope to get again soon.
    I think your life is as close to heven on earth as you can get you are one blessed man
    jship079:
    Alex Svenson:
    Ahhhhh the only thing I like talking about even more than cigars..... Hunting. Love this topic and I hunt literally as much as I can. I sat in the stand a few days this week for archery in PA and headed out for Goose in Wisconsin this weekend, then to Texas for deer the weekend after that. I simply can't get enough of it. Nothing beats shooting a big trophy and field dressing the SOB with a celebratory cigar in my mouth. I find hunting and cigars are a lot alike as they bring guys together. Every so often I get over to Africa for a hunt and each time I have gone with friends and some cigar makers as well. While the hunting was always great, my most memorable moments were the days we sat around smoking before the hunt talking about how educated we are while puffing away. Also, the experience of coming back to the skinning shed at the end of each day to compare trophies with your buddies while smoking cigars and passing a bottle of whisky is an experience I will not soon forget and one I hope to get again soon.
    I think your life is as close to heven on earth as you can get you are one blessed man

Im pretty sure his wife is a supermodel too........;)
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    Crap, just updated my post. Saw I said "educated" where I meant to say "excited" That probably sounded bad and Im sorry. Stupid iPad and my fat fingers dont always go well.
    firetruckguy:
    jship079:
    Alex Svenson:

Im pretty sure his wife is a supermodel too........;)
    Actually, I cant lie, my wife is a total knockout and used to model. funny you said that. While she looks great, I love her because she puts up with all my BS including cigars and hunting.
    Dont get me wrong, it is always work, but if you really love what you do, it sure doesnt feel like it. Hunting actually happens to be my escape from my day to day work stuff. Very relaxing and a great time to reflect.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    Smoking while bird and rabbit hunting is always good, pheasants/quail aren't bothered. I never smoke when actively hunting deer/elk/bear/cougar. I do however occassionaly smoke after and around the fire. The only problem I have is my father-in-law hates all smoking, and he is my big game hunting partner. I hate getting flak for enjoying a good smoke, I tell him his daughter doesn't have a problem.
  • shawtdshawtd Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 72
    ShotgunJohn:
    I tell him his daughter doesn't have a problem.
    That's funny!
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    kingjk729:
    The Sniper:

Sorry about the back to back posts .... read original post and replied to that one first but then scrolled up and read this ..... My buddy's father is like a damn chimney in the woods with his nasty cigarettes and he bags at least 2 deer a year for the last ..... well I've known him for 7 years so at least 2 and 3 on a few occasions each year for the last 7 years................ I dont get it!
    I guess I cant argue with results! :-)

• ar28662ar28662 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1
    a good smoke always goes good in the duck blind with a cup of hot coffee
    ar28662:
    a good smoke always goes good in the duck blind with a cup of hot coffee

Amen brother! Trouble is, its been to damn nice in Colorado so duck hunting is for sh!t right now. Hope second season will be a bit colder.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    I don't hunt but I asked my buddy who hunts damn near every day if he smokes while he's hunting and he replied "Always!" He said it has never given away his position to deer or anything else.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    This thread is killing me... I haven't been hunting for so many years it's sad... I used to do a LOT of dove and quail hunting out in west TX. I hope to be able to go hunting again in the next couple years. I even have a great new bird gun I got 5 or 6 years ago that I haven't shot yet. Got a Browning Citori 12 ga. over and under that my grandfather bought brand new in 1976 and it has never been fired. He held onto if for years without shooting it and was planning on giving it to me for my 24th birthday. Well my birthday is in March and he passed away in the November before my 24th b-day. My grandmother gave me the gun and told me all about him saving it for me and how much cared for the gun for all those years and couldn't wait to go hunting with me after he gave it to me... Looking very forward to the day I get to make that first hunt! My grandfather also smoked cigars and I'll damn sure light one up for him when I go on my first hunt.
    jship079:
    Alex Svenson:
    + 1
    PuroFreak:
    This thread is killing me... I haven't been hunting for so many years it's sad... I used to do a LOT of dove and quail hunting out in west TX. I hope to be able to go hunting again in the next couple years. I even have a great new bird gun I got 5 or 6 years ago that I haven't shot yet. Got a Browning Citori 12 ga. over and under that my grandfather bought brand new in 1976 and it has never been fired. He held onto if for years without shooting it and was planning on giving it to me for my 24th birthday. Well my birthday is in March and he passed away in the November before my 24th b-day. My grandmother gave me the gun and told me all about him saving it for me and how much cared for the gun for all those years and couldn't wait to go hunting with me after he gave it to me... Looking very forward to the day I get to make that first hunt! My grandfather also smoked cigars and I'll damn sure light one up for him when I go on my first hunt.
    great story. You deff. owe him a smoke after your first hunt with the gun!
    I've been itching to hunt for months now. I dont achery so rifle and black powder. Achery next yr to add more time. I set up my blind today and wanted to smoke to get smell on blind to get it interduced into area just in case I had one prior to going out and had odor on me while hunting. but decided not to.