Home General Discussion

The wife asked what I wanted for Christmas...

BeardedYetiBeardedYeti Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 21
My first answer was "A box of Nubs..."

Then I thought about it, and said I'd rather have a big 15-20 cigar sampler...

Then I thought about it more, and wondered if I should ask for a lighter/cutter...what do you all think?

I am currently using matches or an old butane lighter, and just a simple cutter I picked up at my B&M...should I use the gift opportunity to pursue better quality accessories, or to further my cigar inventory?

~Brian

Comments

• RaschNutsRaschNuts Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 882
    get in the Secret Santa in the TBP. for the accessories and then ask for a big sampler.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    Better quality accessory...usually we go thrifty to accessorize while someone buying you a gift will get a higher quality item for you!!!
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    I would agree that nice accessories are the way to go, but make sure something you are spending more money on is actually better. When it comes to cutters Palio (my favorite) and Xikar are definitely superior. However, with lighters the $3 Ronson Jetlite from Wal-Mart is every bit as good, if not better, functionally, than more expensive lighters, not as "nice" though.

I don't know what all accessories you have, but if you don't have a herf-a-dor/cigar caddy with some capacity to it, that is a good thing too. If our price range is a box of nubs you could get a good sized cigar caddy, cutter, lighter and a few sticks, which would be an all around useful gift and you still get some new smokes.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    One2gofst:
    I would agree that nice accessories are the way to go, but make sure something you are spending more money on is actually better. When it comes to cutters Palio (my favorite) and Xikar are definitely superior. However, with lighters the $3 Ronson Jetlite from Wal-Mart is every bit as good, if not better, functionally, than more expensive lighters, not as "nice" though.

I Totally agree here, sometimes things are worth their price and sometimes their not.

One point to add though . . . alot of people lose their cutters pretty regularly. Sometimes you find them 6 months later in a jacket pocket or under your car seat, sometimes you don't. So, Keep that in mind when getting the list together to ask your wife. This might be a good time to ask for a few different types of cutters, try out some different styles, see what works for you. And it'll also give you some backups in case you lose them. Just something to think about.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    This might be the time to ask for that next-size-up humidor you may have been thinking it'd be nice to have...
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    Tell her if she really loves you she should fulfill all your cigar dreams and buy it all! to be used as stocking stuffers all the way up to the main gift!
  • Christian_SappChristian_Sapp Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 441
    Hey i love nubs they are great thats what my girlfriend got me for our anniversary and a new humidor that i love. If you want some super nice expensive sticks with a hef-a-dor, which by the way is amazing great to take to a party and not have to worry about your sticks they have a sampler that is pretty cheap for what you get http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewCigar.asp?prod=SP-CIGASST117, and they you can get like a good litter for pretty cheap and maybe an alright cutter. I have a pretty cheap lighter and cutter and they work great for me. If you want olivas they have a herf-a-dor, five good sticks, a lighter that i have, and cutter that i have for 50 bucks the first sampler is 60 but pretty much every stick in the first sampler is around 20 bucks both are great
  • ljlljl Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 819
    I say if you are planning to keep the hobby for some time - go for the accessories. Personally, my dad has supplied many great and interesting lighters (one is shaped like an extinguisher - which is so funny). I think of him each time I fire up. See if you can get xikar stuff out of it. Like CCOM, they stand behind the product with service that is like no other.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,487
    RaschNuts:
    get in the Secret Santa in the TBP. for the accessories and then ask for a big sampler.

+1 ....... get in on this Yeti ...... we know you better thank your girl does ..... lol well at least with cigars and what to get ....... If you can do it I and many others strongly recommend it. You need to get a few more posts up and be on the good traders list ..... I'd be happy to help you out with the good traders list. PM me if you're interested
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    kingjk729:
    RaschNuts:

+1 ....... get in on this Yeti ...... we know you better thank your girl does ..... lol well at least with cigars and what to get ....... If you can do it I and many others strongly recommend it. You need to get a few more posts up and be on the good traders list ..... I'd be happy to help you out with the good traders list. PM me if you're interested
    I would agree with this. Get in on the Holiday Pass. It's fun and you will get some acccessories and cigars. Then you can tell your wife you would like cigars! It's a win win.