Home General Discussion

Custom Ice Box Conversion

WaxingMoonWaxingMoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 328
I have come across the opportunity to provide to our community this wonderful piece of Americana..... This is a Belding-Hall Ice Box, manufactured and popular at the turn of the century. Estimated production 1890 to 1910.

It is approximately 50" tall x 34" wide x 19" deep and is solid oak construction with seamless porcelein lining.

I am offering this through my website as a "highest bidder" complete customization of this ice box, which is in excellent condition and is already sealed up tight as a drum.

I intend to fully line with spanish cedar and depending on what the winning bidder would like, put in drawers, shelves, trays, anything that is desired......

This will be a fun project.... and an excellent piece for the serious cigar aficionado....

Comments

• t_evan50t_evan50 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,725
    This would be a very nice humi. My grandmother has a similar one that's supposedly willed to me, but I'm pretty sure she'd kill me if I turned it into a humi. LOL Can't wait to see how this turns out.
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,048
    omfg...i dont know why I never thought of this...my grandpa has 2 of these in the basement just sitting there.....let me know how hard it is to convert my friend!
  • gripnripgripnrip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Estimated capacity?
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    WaxingMoon:
    I have come across the opportunity to provide to our community this wonderful piece of Americana..... This is a Belding-Hall Ice Box, manufactured and popular at the turn of the century. Estimated production 1890 to 1910.

It is approximately 50" tall x 34" wide x 19" deep and is solid oak construction with seamless porcelein lining.

I am offering this through my website as a "highest bidder" complete customization of this ice box, which is in excellent condition and is already sealed up tight as a drum.

I intend to fully line with spanish cedar and depending on what the winning bidder would like, put in drawers, shelves, trays, anything that is desired......

This will be a fun project.... and an excellent piece for the serious cigar aficionado....

Very Interested.... I am an Antique Collector and have been looking for an Old cabinet to convert .. All our furniture is old Stickley and arts a crafts stuff, Mission Style...... I would be stoked to have something like this for the Office as a Cabinet...... what are you starting the bids for? are you offereing it as a Totally converted Piece or As is then customizing it?
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    I just checked out your Web Site and the Plan for this Box..... Way out of my range for that piece..... After a quick bit if research and a call to another friend of mine......... whoever gets this will have to have moe money than sense..... its a nice looking box..........
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Redtailhawkoz:
    I just checked out your Web Site and the Plan for this Box..... Way out of my range for that piece..... After a quick bit if research and a call to another friend of mine......... whoever gets this will have to have moe money than sense..... its a nice looking box..........
    I poked around a bit, and found the same thing as Ozzie did; price is way out of line
  • lcpleellcpleel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    I agree with the last 2. The price is high but this would still be a great project. I'm thinking about picking one up myself.
  • WaxingMoonWaxingMoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 328
    After consulting with the owner of this piece... She agreed to go with a highest bidder, providing a reserve has been met.... Point of reference.... hers in in much better condition than one on ebay with a starting bids of $1695 and $2750.....
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,048
    god dam thats a crazy price! lol....its freaking awesome dont get me wrong, but i could never spend that money on that when they make the air conditioned units for a tad more! lol.....but nonetheless...I will have to see if i can get my hands on the two my grandpa has in storage.....