Home General Discussion

Time Cigars sit at a B&M

RaschNutsRaschNuts Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 882
So ive been thinking lately, and wondering how long cigars sit in your local B&M. Do they age all before they put on shelves? do they age some specific ones? Or just age naturaly from arrival till they sell? Im assuming it depends on the B&M but curious.

Comments

• undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    I know this isn't the answer you want, but "it depends." At my B&M certain cigars fly off the shelf. Others may take a few months to go through a box if not more. If I'm going to sit at the shop I'll usually grab something that I know has been there for a while. I'm also not one of the guys that can tell a huge difference though. For example, I like the SCCC. Through videos, we know for a fact that AJ keeps those aging until they are perfect to ship. Then, they sit at the ccom warehouse for who knows how long. Two days of shipping after my order is not going to affect the cigar too much for me and I may smoke them within a few days after sitting in my humi if not right off the truck. A new brand (ccom Sungrown) may need a few months to rest just to iron out the wrinkles and until wait until the demand goes down and they get to naturally rest in the warehouse.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    I think it's more of a natural age. B&Ms make money by turning over inventory so it's in their interest to sell cigars as soon as they get them. However, some cigars don't sell as well and they get a chance to age in the humidor. My B&M had a box of Vegas Cubanas that were sitting for two years because no one bought them. I picked up a couple and it was a fanastic smoke.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    One thing I can say about Cubans, I love when I get my boxes for obvious reasons lol but love flipping them over and seeing how long they have been boxed and sitting, never less than a year and have recently gotten some Cohibas from 2005...
  • RaschNutsRaschNuts Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 882
    those are the answers i expected to get. Thanks for the Input guys.
  • crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 136
    When purchasing at a B&M I always check to see how the label fits.Cigars shrink over time.If the label fits loosely it's probably been sitting there a while.Long enough to be slightly rested anyway.Also the longer they sit in my humidor the looser the label becomes.I never really looked at the calendar.So I can't say for sure how long this may take.Several weeks to a couple months or more probably.I buy a few at a time and let them stew.Works for me.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    my favorite B&M has a box of some La Auroras in some perfecto size that have been there almost 2 years. Not a popular seller. His walk in is perfect too. Always the same humidity. If I my palate distinguished mild and medium sticks better, I would buy some.
    with that said, there are def. B&M's that have some treasures kicking around
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    most dont go out of the way to age a cigar in the shop. it takes up room when a cigar they could be selling would be there. i have found places that dont sell some of my favorites quickly. for a while i was buying CAO italias that already had yellow cellophane.