Home General Discussion

Newbie here

Smokin651Smokin651 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8
Hello everyone. I have been reading this forum for a few days and I gotta tell ya. I think I am in the right place. Looks like a very friendly place to hang out.

I have learned a lot in the last couple of days just reading on here.

A friend of mine, golfing buddy actually got me started on cigars a few weeks ago. I have to say. I am blown away at the huge variety of cigars out there. I have only had about a half a dozen cigars so far, so I am gonna be a while finding myself. LoL

Of the few I have tried there have been a couple that really stood out to me. One was a Nub 460 Conn wrapper and from what I understand from the same company an Oliva Serie G. I enjoyed the Nub so much I have actually ordered a sampler pack (from another internet site a couple days before I discovered this one) that will be here today.

Given those two cigars I mentioned. Any suggestion on what might be good follow ups? Funny fact here. Not been a cigar smoker until a few weeks ago I ironically have a 150ct humidor. It was a given to me by a former boss who ordered some cigars from somewhere and didn't need it. Guess I will have to get the thing set up now. LoL

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Welcome to the forum.

Cigars I'd recommend based on those two would be 5 Vegas Gold, Gurkha Park Avenue, Rocky Patel Connecticut, Perdomo 10th Aniversay Champagne, and the Rocky Patel Vintage 1999. Oliva actually makes a pretty popular Connecticut as well. If you liked the serie G, I'm assuming the Cameroon, you might like the serie o habano. Torano would be a good line to try too. I'm sure others will suggest some really good sticks I'm forgetting.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 938
    Welcome to the forum! The NUB Connie is a good one, very smooth...liked it ore than the Oliva Serie G.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 938
    Wanted to add onto Russ...the RP 1999 is also a fantastic smoke
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Man O' War Virtue and Gurkha Symphony. People tend to forget those somehow. Best mild smokes I've come across.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Another cigar worth mentioning is the Perdomo ESV, in particular the seconds as they are excellent cigars at a very reasonable price. Welcome aboard, this forum is one-stop shopping for all cigar related information, we boast an extremely low bullshit to good info ratio relative to most internet forums.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    The regular Arturo Fuente line is fantastic for the price. Flawless construction, great flavor, mild to medium smokes, in pretty much any size you can imagine. The Cameroon and Maduro wrapped sticks are both great.
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    Welcome. Oliva anything is good stuff. Get some samplers and start seeing what you like.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Welcome! Just like Jozer said the Perdomo ESV Seconds and like whang said the MOW Virtue is great and so is the Gurkha Symphony as far as mild smokes are concerned. I love me some Nub Connie as well!
  • jship079jship079 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 621
    Welcom smokinn651my suggestion to new cigar smokers is to buy various samplers every one has Body samplers call ccom they will hook you up start with the mild and med body sampler what you dont like chalk up to learning what you like if you hang around and get into trades passes and bombs you will always find someone to like what you dont every ones tase are so different you cant go on what someone else likes you need to just do the trial and error thing
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    j0z3r:
    Welcome aboard, this forum is one-stop shopping for all cigar related information, we boast an extremely low bullshit to good info ratio relative to most internet forums.
    LOL love it Joe! Welcome to the forum buddy...there's been plenty of good suggestions here, and I don't have much to add other than a hearty welcome. Hope you stick around, and good luck with setting up that humidor! Don't hesitate to ask with any questions (although, if you make use of the search feature, you can find a LOT of answers).
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Wow. You started out almost exactly the way I did. I, for some reason, gravitated to the Olivas and NUBs right away. Quality smokes, for sure. The NUB sampler is a good start. Try the Oliva Serie O, also. Then maybe move up to the Cain line...... but be careful, those are pretty powerful.

If you need help setting up the humidor, feel free to ask. But it's pretty simple. For seasoning, I'd go with Boveda Seasoning packs (4 for a 150ct) then I'd get humidification beads. Go over to heartfeltindustries.com and get a couple of the medium bead tubes. I suggest 70% rh, but 65% rh will do too. Spread them out in the humi and get a digital hygrometer (calibrate it!). Boveda also makes a cheap calibration packet. Check out the rest of the site. It's kind of a one stop shop for getting started. Then come on back to Ccom and buy lots of smokes!!!

It's also a good idea to establish a good rapport with your local B&M. Find the best one in your area. Check out cigarfriendly.us to find a good one. Go to some events and talk to reps. You'll learn a lot.

Welcome, brother!
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    welcome to the best site on the internet when it comes to cigars. you will see the sales staff as well as the chief merchant on here from time to time offering specials or just talking about new things coming down the pipe.

my suggestion to you in regard to cigars is try try try. I found that when I started, my palate changed quite a bit. I suggest buying samplers that have a little of everything.

I also suggest getting involved in some of the games. get your name on the good trader list and get the games rolling. the games will introduce you to many different cigars you may not have thought to buy.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,487
    wwhwang:
    Man O' War Virtue and Gurkha Symphony. People tend to forget those somehow. Best mild smokes I've come across.

+1 on these sticks I'd also recommend the 5Vegas A series ..... a great transition from mild into medium ............... And welcome to the forums
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    Welcome to the forums. Great recommendations already and I have nothing to add. Hope you stick around.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    Welcome to the forum and I hope you stick around. Nub Conn's are great! How about the Perdomo Champange 10th Anniversery.

If you are going to order from Ccom be sure to CALL IN your order and talk to a sales rep. They will treat you like a friend from the 1st phone call. Tell them what you have tried, what you liked, what you didn't and they will set you up with some great samplers and ideas at an awesome price.

Don't be afraid to try something a little bit more med-full bodied sticks as you move along in your trying new sticks. Oh and def. get in on the games, trades, & passes that's where you will get into some sticks you never would have thought of trying or even heard of before.
  • Smokin651Smokin651 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8
    WoW. All I can say folks is thank you for such a warm welcome. Never signed up to a forum with such open and friendly people.

I will be ordering samplers for sure. Just gotta take it slowly. Limited funds is the suck. LoL After all I have read on here it really amazes me at what looks to be a very close knit bunch of friends instead of a forum on the internet. I hope to live up to the high standards of what see thus far. :)

Again thanks for the awesome welcome.
  • Smokin651Smokin651 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8
    WOOT! My Nub sampler just arrived along with my Digital Hygrometer. I gotta say. Those Cameroon wrapped Nubs have a great smell. Can't wait to give them a taste.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Welcome to these fine forums! Stick around, you'll get weirded out soon enough!
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Smokin651:
    very close knit bunch of friends instead of a forum on the internet.
    Without trying to be cheezy, you said it best here bro. Some of the best friends I have I've made because of cigars and this forum.