Home General Discussion

Rather alarming occurrence while smoking...thoughts?

HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
Ok, so I've smoked easily hundreds of cigars, and never once have I seen what just happened to me..

I was smoking a Gurkha Empire VI, and rather enjoying it. The cigar overall provided no major problems, and I had the band removed. Coming into the end of the last third, not far from where I'd normally set it down, the ash dropped in my lap (I tend to have a problem with this lol). As this happened, the end of my cigar blazed up in a large, evident flame - to the point that I was concerned about burning my hair. I immediately tossed the stick into the ashtray, and the flame went out. I have NEVER had this happen, nor seen it before... what the hell just happened?

Comments

• Nick2021Nick2021 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 938
    Sorry to hear about that...pretty bad when it gets to the point where you're concerned about getting burned. I imagine this will draw some interesting responses from Gurkha lovers/haters. Not sure why it would just go up in flames like that though....
  • docedwardsdocedwards Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 319
    Check the band again. Sure it wasn't a God of Fire?
  • Duder2Duder2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 926
    Woah, trippy! Never heard of that happening before... weird...
  • TokinstogieTokinstogie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 43
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Tokinstogie:
    Beetle Juice?
    That was actually a thought I had...whether it had maybe hit a dried beetle egg...
  • doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    How long was the ash and how tight had the draw been during the portion you were smoking through said ash? My first thought here is that you had something similar to a backdraft that our fine firefighters dread.

Basically you have a fire that's not combusting completey due to a limited supply of oxygen, but that has ample heat energy and fuel to combust more. Rapid introduction of oxygen then allows the uncombusted gasses to burn, causing a flare-up. Same thing can happen with smoking with wood chips, where you create a large draft and an otherwise nicely-smoldering chunk o' wood will flare up.

Not sure if having a long ash, tight draw, hot burn, long rest time, etc would affect this, but since it happened when the ash fell off I'm guessing it was the sudden availability of oxygen that caused this.

That, or Mr. Hansotia just played the best practical joke in the world on you ;)
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    Air pocket (spot of missing tobacco. Maybe some tobacco (Binder/Filler) fell out with ash in your lap igniting the wrapper)? Just a guess.
  • jship079jship079 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 621
    I would say no to the beetle egg because we smoke them all the time!!
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    It must have been a hell of a flame to reach the hair on the back of your head! LOL
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Hays:
    what the hell just happened?
    Bugs Bunny happened:

you and Pete Puma now have something in common....

from "rabbits kin" cartoon (audio slowed down to understand the little rabbit)

• Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    HEY...I started to defend the GOF...then I understood the inference...LOL
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    The "backdraft" theory makes sense to me.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    YankeeMan:
    It must have been a hell of a flame to reach the hair on the back of your head! LOL

Boy, I'm sure glad I didn't say that.......

Marty

sightunseen:
    The "backdraft" theory makes sense to me.
    +1 to this... The draw was fine, almost a bit loose. The ash was not very long...no more than an inch. The backdraft theory seems the most viable though.. In any case, it definitely tripped me out.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    Stop eating burritos before smoking your cigars. Sounds like you hit a methane pocket.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    zoom6zoom:
    Stop eating burritos before smoking your cigars. Sounds like you hit a methane pocket.
    You smoking cigars with your ass, Hays?
  • doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    sightunseen:
    zoom6zoom:

He's pioneering a new technique to detect nuances of flavor: the recto-hale.

• Andrew DzikoskiAndrew Dzikoski BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users, Trusted Users Posts: 338
    Are you sure someone wasn't playing a trick on you and stuck a match in there? The back draft theory makes some sense but the tar the that is has built up is very unlikely to combust in any manor similar to the such. The tar build up is also why the cigar is more likely to to go out when you are closer to the end of the smoke or atleast go out more quickly. This is really strange and I really don't have any explaniation. Wish you had it on video.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    Are you sure someone wasn't playing a trick on you and stuck a match in there?
    back in my boy scout days there was a scout master who smoked cigarettes. one of the other boys emptied out a cigarette and re packed it with a match head about 1/2 an inch in in the hopes of an "exploding" cigarette.
    needless to say we were disappointed. the match head did not flame up in the manor we expected. He said it just blew out his taste buds for a few days.

a valiant effort anyway.
    doromath:
    sightunseen:
    zoom6zoom:

LMAO
    kuzi16:
    Hays:
    Bugs Bunny happened:

Love Pete
  • brotheradambrotheradam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 896
    kuzi16:
    Hays:
    Bugs Bunny happened:

Kuzi- Pete Puma is my all time favorite cartoon character . Love the pic
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    Are you sure someone wasn't playing a trick on you and stuck a match in there? The back draft theory makes some sense but the tar the that is has built up is very unlikely to combust in any manor similar to the such. The tar build up is also why the cigar is more likely to to go out when you are closer to the end of the smoke or atleast go out more quickly. This is really strange and I really don't have any explaniation. Wish you had it on video.
    Yeah Hays who did you get the stick from? I wish you would have gotten it on tape too! I bet you were moving pretty fast after you ashed on your pants and almost set your hair on fire.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    kuzi16:
    Hays:
    Bugs Bunny happened:

Now thats some FUNNY S-H-I_T Right there! Im thinking more Bevis and Butthead!
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    brotheradam:
    kuzi16:
    Hays:
    Bugs Bunny happened:

Kuzi- Pete Puma is my all time favorite cartoon character . Love the pic

+ 1 on that one ! How many Lumps would you like there Petey..... oooooohhhhhhh THREEEE ORRRR FOUUURRRRRR Bonk Bonk Bonk Bonk .,,,,,,,, OHHHHH those are some BIIIGGGG LUMPS
    ROTFLMAO! I am NUTS !
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,048
    thought u were saving that gurkha for me man! lol
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    Hays:
    Ok, so I've smoked easily hundreds of cigars, and never once have I seen what just happened to me..

I was smoking a Gurkha Empire VI, and rather enjoying it. The cigar overall provided no major problems, and I had the band removed. Coming into the end of the last third, not far from where I'd normally set it down, the ash dropped in my lap (I tend to have a problem with this lol). As this happened, the end of my cigar blazed up in a large, evident flame - to the point that I was concerned about burning my hair. I immediately tossed the stick into the ashtray, and the flame went out. I have NEVER had this happen, nor seen it before... what the hell just happened?
    Really good drugs ?!?!
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    thought u were saving that gurkha for me man! lol
    LOL I couldn't remember which one you wanted! I have a couple of the Empires... I'll buy ya another one ;-).
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 938
    doromath:
    sightunseen:
    zoom6zoom:

lol, sounds like an interesting technique...
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    Nick2021:
    doromath:
    sightunseen:
    zoom6zoom:

lol, sounds like an interesting technique...
    Oh no I can see the headlines now "Smoking Burns Soliders Butts"! A soldier with too much time on his hands can lead to bad bad things man.