Home General Discussion

Home made coolador-HELP

BILL NEYENBILL NEYEN Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1
Looking to build a coolerdor , any suggestions would be helpful.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    not to hard: 1. buy new cooler
    2. buy twice the amount of humidity beads that you need to keep the RH you want.
    3. Place beads in cooler
    4. buy cigars.
    5. place cigars in cooler still in box.

its that easy.
  • bass8844bass8844 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 416
    I think kuzi about has it. Try and put some cigars still in their boxes into the cooler. That way you'll get some cedar into your cooler.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Or do all those steps but go to a nice B&M and buy empty boxes... rip apart said boxes and then line cooler with cedar, season with distilled water and then enjoy!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    One thing you also should do is wash your cooler out with a very lightly scented dish detergent to get the smell of the new cooler to go away and then rinse it out really good and let it air-dry completely.

As for humidifying it you might want to look into the Cigar Oasis depending on the size of cooler you choose to go with.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    j0z3r:
    One thing you also should do is wash your cooler out wist a very lightly scented dish detergent to get the smell of the new cooler to go away and then rinse it out really good and let it air-dry completely.

As for humidifying it you might want to look into the Cigar Oasis depending on the size of cooler you choose to go with.
    Also, Kuzi will tell ya to put a bunch of newspaper in the cooler to draw out the smell... I did it on my own coolerdor and I'll be jiggered it worked!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i wouldn't *** you, you're my favorite turd.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    OK everyone's suggestions here are great. I'm just going to kind of wrap it all up and tell you how I did my latest coolerdor.

1. Buy a cooler that is plenty big enough for what you want to accomplish but no so big as it will be less than 50% full when you purchase it. ESPECIALLY if you are going to use beads instead of a cigar oasis.
    2. I wiped my cooler down with distilled water. I poured a bunch in sloshed it around and wiped it down with a paper towel. I then packed it full of newspaper, closed the lid and set it outside in the sun to let it warm up and let the newspaper absorb the new cooler smells. I brought it in that evening but left the newspaper in the cooler for about 24 hours.
    3. I broke up a couple of cigar boxes(spanish cedar, I used RP The Edge) and used 3M padded 2 sided tape to adhere them pieces to the inside of the cooler(do not use glue as it has an odor, 3M 2 sided tape doesn't).
    4. Season the coolerdor similar to how you would a traditional humidor. I have a cigar oasis so in my case I just turned it up to 80% and left it there for a couple day and then turned it back down to 70% and let it stabilize there.
    5. Throw in cigars
    Not exceptionally complicated but thats what I did and mine works perfectly.