Home General Discussion

Pairing Cigar with your drink

RaschNutsRaschNuts Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 882
How many of you guys base what stick your are going to smoke based on the beverage for the night.
or do you base the beverage on the stick?

i have been on a hard cider kick lately specifically Woodchuck. and im wondering what your suggestions might be on a stick that would go well with it.

Comments

• Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    Depends on my mood but most of the time I pick the stick 1st. I ALWAYS have water on hand. Sometimes thats all I have. Other times I like beers or other adult beverages like scotch. Most of the time I save the drinks until after I'm done smoking (or drink very very very slowly) to enjoy the cigars that I am smoking and not over power them.

I don't know what kind of smokes you like but hard cider might go well with Verdadero Organic ? Or maybe something with a fruit or citrus flavor ??? I'd go with a mild or med bodied stick.
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    I agree w/ Sandman. I don't want the beverage to over power or distract from the Cigar. I usually have a Beer (or 2) and /or Water.
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    Unless it's water, Diet Coke, white wine (can't drink red b/c of migraines) and beer I usually don't drink anything else. If I have a cigar. . . I smoke it. If I have a drink. . . I drink it. I can tell you that the only time I pay attention is when i have a mild cigar because the wine or beer can drown the creaminess out.
  • SchroozSchrooz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 165
    I really like smoking maduro sticks while sipping red wine. When I am sipping scotch, any stick will do.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I decide what cigar I feel like first, and if there's a pairing for that particular stick, and I feel like it I will have it. My most common pairing is coffee, followed by rum and tequila. While I'm a big fan of single malt Scotch, I haven't found too many sticks that I like to pair with it.

Can't really help with the apple cider too much. Off the top of my head I'd say maybe a stick that had some sweet flavors to it. Go for a sort of sweet and sour combination. It's going to take some experimentation with that one I think.
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    [quote. If I have a cigar. . . I smoke it. If I have a drink. . . I drink it. Sounds a little like forest gump!
    but ya cigar first and mood I'm in dictates drink. Beer light dark, scotch, water, Sometimes even milk.
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    cooch36:
    [quote. If I have a cigar. . . I smoke it. If I have a drink. . . I drink it. Sounds a little like forest gump!
    There's not too much of a difference between he and I other than he is a millionaire.
  • TheDrifterTheDrifter Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 83
    I think a Diesel would match well with the Woodchuck.
  • RaschNutsRaschNuts Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 882
    I ended up going with a RP 92 and it seemed to go pretty well. The spice in the RP melded with the apple in the woodchuck
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Cigar first; drink second. Even then, if I'm in the mood for a jack and coke, I'll drink that regardless of what I'm smoking.
    undulac:
    cooch36:
    There's not too much of a difference between he and I other than he is a millionaire.
    LOL I hear that!
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    I usually pick the cigar first, then pair a drink with it but will occasionally do the opposite. Due to the sweet, slightly mild and low alcohol profile of hard cider, I'd agree that a mild to medium cigar would probably pair best.
  • AdcuriumAdcurium Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 170
    When I smoke during the day I almost always have a latte with 4 shots (iced in the summer, hot in the winter). In the evenings when I'm sitting on the deck or in the back yard, it's usually beer or a cocktail in one way or another. I go through cocktail kicks: I spent three weeks drinking nothing but mojitos, another week or two on Mai Tia's, etc. Although, for the winter I'm taking Sinatra's advice: A cocktail should only have two ingredients. And Ice Counts.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    You all will think I am crazy but I think the best pairing for any cigar is a McDonalds Chocolate Shake. Before I bought my own house, I would want to get out and get away and go smoke. I would hit up McDs, get myself a shake and smoke in my truck by the lake hoping that some hot younger chics would come by. Well, any hot chics older or younger. I'm a dog what can I say. I just remember that no matter what I was smoking that shake went great with it.
  • sol1821sol1821 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 706
    I had a gurkha turk with a nice cider a while ago and it went really well ;)
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    sol1821:
    I had a gurkha turk with a nice cider a while ago and it went really well ;)
    I've done the exact same, and found it to be quite a nice pairing.
  • doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    The most I will really do is tone down the drink I have based on the cigar and time of day. Everything requires some water, but that is generally accompanied by either scotch, beer or red wine. Milder sticks I tend to pair with beer so that I don't miss out on the subtelties. There are times when I know that scotch and/or red will drown out some of the subtle nuances of a cigar, but I pair them anyways because I'm after the overall experience.
  • digthisbigcruxdigthisbigcrux Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
    Strong IPA/ Stout/ Porter/ Red Wine/Scotch and Bourbon I usually stick with a medium to full bodied maduro smoke

If I'm drinking a lager/pilsner or a light rum, I'll usually go with something in the mild to medium range.
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 739
    Ruination + Johnny Walker = mmmmm
  • JZerbyJZerby Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 122
    I pretty much have two go-to drinks, no matter what I'm smoking. Rum and Coke or Kamora and coffee. I tend to drink the latter when it is cooler outside, as I only smoke outside and when the weather is nice. The rum and Coke is for the summer nights. I also find that the Kamora and coffee pairs real nicely with the Flavours by CAO Moontrance, which is the only flavored cigar I have ever actually liked.
  • SaVasSaVas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 250
    For me, it tends to be a mild to medium blend in the morning paired with a good cup of coffee, or water. Afternoons tend to be me drinking diet coke or iced tea with lemon, with a medium cigar, and evenings, when I'm in the drinking mood, the medium to full bodied cigars, I pair with a highland scotch ( normally Balvenie 12 yr double wood, or Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, or a good bourbon). If the cigar is on the spice and pepper side I like a solera rum like Ron Zacapa 23 year, or a good tawny port like Graham's 20 yr. But I also find any medium to full cigar pairs well with a gimletini (cross between a gimlet and a martini, slightly dirty, with Bombay Sapphire, and Tito's vodka, that has a skewer of jalapeno stuffed olives and cocktail onions)
  • ImgemboImgembo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 657
    rwheelwright:
    You all will think I am crazy but I think the best pairing for any cigar is a McDonalds Chocolate Shake. Before I bought my own house, I would want to get out and get away and go smoke. I would hit up McDs, get myself a shake and smoke in my truck by the lake hoping that some hot younger chics would come by. Well, any hot chics older or younger. I'm a dog what can I say. I just remember that no matter what I was smoking that shake went great with it.
    i too enjoy a chocolate shake with almost all of my cigars. funny how taste works. I also always eat cashews or roasted nuts after a cigar too. Recently its been ice water for me though so i can get a better idea how the cigar tastes.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    Thanks fellas for introducing me to one of my new favorite drink and cigar combos. Bourbon.I was never much of a liquor fan, but thought I'd give it a try. Last night was my first pairing, woodford reserve and a rocky olde world maduro. It was good, but I found the bourbon a little hard to swallow. So today I tried making a "whiskey sour" (lemon juice, bourbon, little sugar). It was pretty good, but I found myself wanting to add more bourbon and ended up just having it straight in a chilled glass! It seems pretty quick, but my taster buds have turned on to bourbon and I'm having another shot to sip with an LHCOF . So thanks for the info, and new weekend (or any day) habit! I'm loving it now
  • jadeltjadelt Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 766
    Gray4lines:
    Thanks fellas for introducing me to one of my new favorite drink and cigar combos. Bourbon.I was never much of a liquor fan, but thought I'd give it a try. Last night was my first pairing, woodford reserve and a rocky olde world maduro. It was good, but I found the bourbon a little hard to swallow. So today I tried making a "whiskey sour" (lemon juice, bourbon, little sugar). It was pretty good, but I found myself wanting to add more bourbon and ended up just having it straight in a chilled glass! It seems pretty quick, but my taster buds have turned on to bourbon and I'm having another shot to sip with an LHCOF . So thanks for the info, and new weekend (or any day) habit! I'm loving it now
    Glad to hear you like the Woodford. I find that is my fav (as you know) but like with Cigars, I like to try new stuff. If you want to try another bourbon, I used to drink Buffalo Trace before I found the Woodford. But you are already spoiled with the Woodford.

I sip the bourbon slowly along side good stick and a big glass of ice water.