Home General Discussion

Another Question

jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
Here's another question I don't know the answer to....maybe one of you guys can tell me.

When I put a small bowl of distilled water into my coolidor to raise the RH, if I leave the bowl in there long enough to completely evaporate, I find a white deposit in the bottom of the bowl - obviously a mineral deposit. Why would distilled water have minerals in it?? I didn't think any minerals could follow the steam through the condenser and end up in what's supposed to be distilled water.

Any scientists out there? Maybe you can 'splain it to me.

Thanks,

Marty

Comments

• robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    i'm soooooo not the person to answer this question... and I really using info I received from someone else... but from what I understand, distilled water needs to be stored properly to have it maintain it's properties... cool, dry place... yada yada... again, this is just what i was told... I never did an experiment to test it out or anything... I'm sure someone knows the real answer
  • martymcg43martymcg43 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 396
    perhaps leftover from the dishwasher?
  • martymcg43martymcg43 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 396
    a bit of soapiness?
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    martymcg43:
    a bit of soapiness?
    Exactly.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    martymcg43:
    perhaps leftover from the dishwasher?
    oh, thats a better answer.. can i change mine?
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Thanks, guys, but this is from a fresh gallon of DW that I bought at the supermarket. Probably not half a cup used out of it so far but it's also happened with the last store-bought DW I've used.

I may have to confront the store manager for answers. If it truly is mineral deposits I'm seeing, that could plug up my humidifiers, etc. Not Good.
    Marty

• Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Maybe your humidifiers are already plugged if you're having add a bowl of water? Just a thought.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    jlmarta:
    Thanks, guys, but this is from a fresh gallon of DW that I bought at the supermarket. Probably not half a cup used out of it so far but it's also happened with the last store-bought DW I've used.

I may have to confront the store manager for answers. If it truly is mineral deposits I'm seeing, that could plug up my humidifiers, etc. Not Good.
    Marty

More likely that your dish has soap residue in it, as suggested by the BORKs up above.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Ah, so...... Sorry. I missed that completely. You're right, though. It might be. I'll do more testing and be sure there's no residue. Thanks.