Home General Discussion

Broken travel herfador

GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
I just flew home last night and I put my 15ct herfador in my checked baggage. Somehow the wonderful luggage people were able to break it but keep the cigars inside perfectly intact. The worst part is that I am going on a 8 day camping/canoe trip with my dad starting today so I have no time to order a new one. Bah, this sucks.

On the plus side, 8 day camping and canoing trip with tons of fishing and hunting. We are going to the Boundary waters of MN where no motors are allowed and you can drink straight from the lakes. I'll post pics when I get back.

Comments

• doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    I say bite the bullet and get a new one from any B&M you can stop at STAT!

You'll thank me for this advice on Day 2, guaranteed....
  • ctremblay187ctremblay187 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 122
    Srry to hear bout the broken herf...at least it kept the treasures intact..have a safe smoky trip
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Goldy:
    We are going to the Boundary waters of MN where no motors are allowed and you can drink straight from the lakes. I'll post pics when I get back.
    Fingers crossed no bear is up stream taking a leak! lol Have a great trip man, sorry to hear about the herfador!
  • Andrew DzikoskiAndrew Dzikoski BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users, Trusted Users Posts: 338
    Yea even if the lake is spring fed if there is fish there will be fish poo and bacteria. You can only safely drink water direct at a natural spring. A friend of mind was really unlucky he drank from a spring fed lake in up state ny somewhere got some protozoa that caused and infection they ravaged his pacreas and now has type 2 diabetes . Can never been too careful.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    The bad part is those things are supposed to be indestructible. I guess a determined baggage handler can break anything!
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    Duct tape. 'Nuff said.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    well, if u ask me, it did it's job. none of your sticks were broken right?? Go grab another from B&M and be thankful your cigars were ok!
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    YankeeMan:
    The bad part is those things are supposed to be indestructible. I guess a determined baggage handler can break anything!

They absolutely CAN! I once went on a moose hunting trip to Northern British Columbia and bought a hard gun case to carry my custom built rifle in. I wrote to Air Canada ahead of time and got a letter from them giving me permission to carry the gun case aboard and hand it to the cabin attendant who was to store it in the pilot's personal closet until we arrived. Unfortunately, we had to change planes en route and the flight personnel on the new plane refused to honor the letter and my case ended up in baggage.

When we deplaned in BC, I waited for my luggage and gun case to come off the plane and, yep, you guessed it, one corner of the gun case was broken off. Luckily, my rifle wasn't damaged but I got no satisfaction from Air Canada regarding the damage.

I believe one needs a degree in demolition in order to be an airline baggage handler.

Marty

• Nick2021Nick2021 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 938
    jlmarta:
    YankeeMan:

They absolutely CAN! I once went on a moose hunting trip to Northern British Columbia and bought a hard gun case to carry my custom built rifle in. I wrote to Air Canada ahead of time and got a letter from them giving me permission to carry the gun case aboard and hand it to the cabin attendant who was to store it in the pilot's personal closet until we arrived. Unfortunately, we had to change planes en route and the flight personnel on the new plane refused to honor the letter and my case ended up in baggage.

When we deplaned in BC, I waited for my luggage and gun case to come off the plane and, yep, you guessed it, one corner of the gun case was broken off. Luckily, my rifle wasn't damaged but I got no satisfaction from Air Canada regarding the damage.

I believe one needs a degree in demolition in order to be an airline baggage handler.

Marty

wow, that sucks...nothing worse than booking a great hunting trip only to have some of your gear broken like that...the good thing was your rifle didn't suffer any damage...did you bag your moose? :)
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Nope. Spent nine days riding the longest bridle trail in the northern hemisphere and came home empty-handed. I passed up a shot at a cow about the fourth day out 'cause I wanted some horns. Guess I was just betting on the come. Oh, well, life's a b*tch and then ya die.

Marty