Home General Discussion

Vintage Cigars

JdoraisJdorais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 653
Wow, just went to a little "gift" shop in the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco that caters to the "finer gentleman".... but hey they let me in too so it must not be THAT exclusive..... anyway he stocks pre embargo and pre castro cuban cigars and has a little smoking room in the back. So next time you gentleman are in Sf and have an exrtra $150- 200 to spend on a single stick, you should stop by his place.

http://www.vendettablu.com/index.html

Comments

• HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    I've heard of this place... What was your take on it Jeff?
  • JdoraisJdorais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 653
    Over priced and a bit stuffy for my tastes. Actually now that I think about it the place really was a tiny hole in the wall spot. the "lounge" had 2 chairs and a teeny fan placed in a window for ventilation. However, if some BORK wants a few of the vintage sticks I'd be happy to shop and haggle price for him/her.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    I was reading some cigar makers site (can't remember which one) and they stated that aging beyond 12 years was counterproductive and would lead to flavor degradation. I had never seen that anywhere else and this goes against some of the things I have been taught here. Any one heard that before?
  • jship079jship079 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 621
    fla-gypsy:
    I was reading some cigar makers site (can't remember which one) and they stated that aging beyond 12 years was counterproductive and would lead to flavor degradation. I had never seen that anywhere else and this goes against some of the things I have been taught here. Any one heard that before?
    You really cant give a certin time frame because all tabbacco is different but all tabbacco does have a point were it starts to degrade from over ageing it may be tejn years for some or 20 for others i think that no stick would really do any good after 25 not even the best cuban
  • sirfoster83sirfoster83 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 783
    I'll send my wife. She will be in SF in two weeks for buisness. Was hopiing to tag along for that trip but she's the lead on that project so next time we'll have to get together for a smoke.

Do they cater to the shaggy and tatooed? I get awkward looks from some shop owners in MN. I guess I look a little different than their normal clientel. They always try to sell me house brands and get a shocked look when I tell them what I'm looking for.
    sirfoster83:
    I'll send my wife. She will be in SF in two weeks for buisness. Was hopiing to tag along for that trip but she's the lead on that project so next time we'll have to get together for a smoke.

Do they cater to the shaggy and tatooed? I get awkward looks from some shop owners in MN. I guess I look a little different than their normal clientel. They always try to sell me house brands and get a shocked look when I tell them what I'm looking for.
    LOL sounds like you'd get along well with Ozzie then my friend... My .02, you'd probably get exceedingly awkward looks - the Fairmont Hotel is one of the grandest in the City, and that's saying something.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    fla-gypsy:
    I've heard that before, but also have known people who have smoked 40-50 year old cubans and loved them. We should ask Vince...I think he's got a cigar or two that has about 40+ years on them, lol
  • TokinstogieTokinstogie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 43
    Jdorais:
    Wow, just went to a little "gift" shop in the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco that caters to the "finer gentleman".... but hey they let me in too so it must not be THAT exclusive..... anyway he stocks pre embargo and pre castro cuban cigars and has a little smoking room in the back. So next time you gentleman are in Sf and have an exrtra $150- 200 to spend on a single stick, you should stop by his place.

Hmmm, just how does a person tell a 40 year old stick from say a 10 year old stick? I mean where or when did the shop get its inventory?
    Tokinstogie:
    Jdorais:

Hmmm, just how does a person tell a 40 year old stick from say a 10 year old stick? I mean where or when did the shop get its inventory?
    I thought the same thing. Healthy skepticism has to play into things like this.
    Hays:
    sirfoster83:

LOL sounds like you'd get along well with Ozzie then my friend... My .02, you'd probably get exceedingly awkward looks - the Fairmont Hotel is one of the grandest in the City, and that's saying something.
    Nice hotel yes, but no unapproachable. Hey they let me in, plus the ones getting the awkward looks are all the bridesmaids with those awful peach/green gowns.
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 979
    my wife got me a per embargo stick awhile ago. Its not a single leaf deal, but the whole stick. The tobacco eas part of a forecloser so the bank got it right before the embargo. Its got paperwork with it from the time it was taken till rolling. And it really wasn't over priced at all.
  • sirfoster83sirfoster83 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 783
    Hays:
    sirfoster83:

I'd agree with you but the photo of you two from saturday ruined it. He was wearing that hideous Ohio State shirt. As a HUGE Badger fan thats a big no-no. Thats why I married a gopher she can never give me crap about the gophers beating the badgers
    Jdorais:
    Tokinstogie:
    Jdorais:

Well, as far as how they'd know, here's one advantage - the hotel has been around since before the embargo, and it's entirely possible that they've maintained a humidor the entire time, thus ensuring their own authenticity.
  • TokinstogieTokinstogie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 43
    Hays:
    Jdorais:
    Tokinstogie:
    Jdorais:

Well, as far as how they'd know, here's one advantage - the hotel has been around since before the embargo, and it's entirely possible that they've maintained a humidor the entire time, thus ensuring their own authenticity.
    And they been selling them for 40 years and never ran out? All you need to do is save the bands, would you run out if you were getting 150-200 a pop?
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Tokinstogie:
    Jdorais:

By the brand, the age of the cello, the general look of the wrapper, among other things.