Home General Discussion

Dominican Play by Play

Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
Just boarded my flight in Chicago en route to te DR. Lots of factory visits this week and also will be looking at some new tobacco strands. While Santiago is not the quaint cigar town Esteli nicaragu is, it is still a great place to see top cigar makers and I have grown a bit fond of certain types of Cuban seed tobaccos grown in the Dominican. Will keep you guys posted along my adventure and try to post pics whenever possible.

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    Alex Svenson:
    Just boarded my flight in Chicago en route to te DR. Lots of factory visits this week and also will be looking at some new tobacco strands. While Santiago is not the quaint cigar town Esteli nicaragu is, it is still a great place to see top cigar makers and I have grown a bit fond of certain types of Cuban seed tobaccos grown in the Dominican. Will keep you guys posted along my adventure and try to post pics whenever possible.
    Thanks Alex. Will be watching (reading) with complete interest. Can you say how safe it is to go to the Dominican Republic for a vacation? Been working on the wife to go there for a couple of weeks sometime but she worries about the safety there.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    laker1963:
    Alex Svenson:
    Thanks Alex. Will be watching (reading) with complete interest. Can you say how safe it is to go to the Dominican Republic for a vacation? Been working on the wife to go there for a couple of weeks sometime but she worries about the safety there.
    If you go to a resort the security is just fine, I was told by some other vacationers that at night there were armed guards protecting the resort, but I never saw one gun and felt completely safe the whole time. I didn't stay on the Caribbean side so the water wasn't as clear, but I was the only resort on the side so it was NOT touristy at all!
    Lasabar:
    laker1963:
    Alex Svenson:
    If you go to a resort the security is just fine, I was told by some other vacationers that at night there were armed guards protecting the resort, but I never saw one gun and felt completely safe the whole time. I didn't stay on the Caribbean side so the water wasn't as clear, but I was the only resort on the side so it was NOT touristy at all!
    Thanks Lassy. Would you recommend it?
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    Alex Svenson:
    Nicely done....Alex if you have a chance check out Club Guacara Taina in Santo Domingo, its an underground night club in a grotto, holds a couple thousand...ridiculous scene...
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Alex Svenson:
    Can't wait, thanks for keeping us in mind. Have a safe trip!
    laker1963:
    Alex Svenson:
    If its worth anything Doug, I spend a good part of the winter there and have for a number of years...the DR is absolutely an amazing place to vacation, you will be hard pressed to find a better Carribean destination imo, i have been to several other places and find the spanish to be just amazing, so friendly, accepting....I have stayed at many resorts there but now when I go its a condo only...obviously if you are not frequent there thats not the best way to go but either way you can't go wrong....the Playa Dorada complex is a gated complex with about 15 resorts on it or so, it is VERY safe....I now stay in Cabarette when there, if you are in that area I can let you know where to go to watch cigars being rolled for you, I will retire there lol When travelling anywhere though common sense is always a must...
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    I enjoyed Punta cana in Feb and enjoyed our stay as well as felt very safe. I enjoyed a visit of Don Lucas cigar cafe as well as enjoyed the conversation while sipping his cognac and one of his cigars.
    Diamondog:
    laker1963:
    Alex Svenson:
    If its worth anything Doug, I spend a good part of the winter there and have for a number of years...the DR is absolutely an amazing place to vacation, you will be hard pressed to find a better Carribean destination imo, i have been to several other places and find the spanish to be just amazing, so friendly, accepting....I have stayed at many resorts there but now when I go its a condo only...obviously if you are not frequent there thats not the best way to go but either way you can't go wrong....the Playa Dorada complex is a gated complex with about 15 resorts on it or so, it is VERY safe....I now stay in Cabarette when there, if you are in that area I can let you know where to go to watch cigars being rolled for you, I will retire there lol When travelling anywhere though common sense is always a must...
    Thank you. That's what I was looking for. I will show the wife this post.
    laker1963:
    Diamondog:
    laker1963:
    Alex Svenson:
    Atta Boy! Go Get Her!
    Lasabar:
    laker1963:
    Diamondog:
    laker1963:
    Alex Svenson:
    Atta Boy! Go Get Her!
    LMAO. I decided to wait until I was sure Lassy wasn't still on here. Never know what he may have said if he were to think there was somebody reading the forums that he HADN'T shocked yet LMAO.
    laker1963:
    Lasabar:
    laker1963:
    Diamondog:
    laker1963:
    Alex Svenson:
    Atta Boy! Go Get Her!
    LMAO. I decided to wait until I was sure Lassy wasn't still on here. Never know what he may have said if he were to think there was somebody reading the forums that he HADN'T shocked yet LMAO.
    Its just nice to be thought of!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i love these play by play threads.
  • shawtdshawtd Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 72
    Diamondog:
    laker1963:
    Alex Svenson:
    I travel to the DR regularly for business. I'd echo his comments exactly. Use common sense. I've always felt very safe in DR both in Santo Domingo and in resort areas/small towns. Be careful and have a good time!
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Doug - Me and my wife spent a week at Casa de Campo resort. It was awsome and just a wonderful time. We had some events also at other places sponsored by Toyota while we were there. We always felt safe inside and outside the resort. As some others have said just use common sense .
    Just use common sense...
    I like to walk around with the BIGGEST wad of cash so that they know that I'm rich, and thus powerful so they know to leave me alone... The $6800 in my pocket is not worth the hassle of dealing with a potential head of state or movie star...
    Also, I wear the brightest and loudest outfit that I can, basically anything that is the exact OPPOSITE of what the local culture is... That way they KNOW you're a tourist and know to leave you alone...

Lastly, find a "HOT TOPIC" in the local country and brazenly criticize it and violently protest it... That way they know that you are interested in their culture and see you as a "Friendly"...

These happy travel tips brought to you buy Lassy!
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    Alex must not have service in the Dominican, I haven't seen any updates.
    Lasabar:
    Just use common sense...
    I like to walk around with the BIGGEST wad of cash so that they know that I'm rich, and thus powerful so they know to leave me alone... The $6800 in my pocket is not worth the hassle of dealing with a potential head of state or movie star...
    Also, I wear the brightest and loudest outfit that I can, basically anything that is the exact OPPOSITE of what the local culture is... That way they KNOW you're a tourist and know to leave you alone...

Lastly, find a "HOT TOPIC" in the local country and brazenly criticize it and violently protest it... That way they know that you are interested in their culture and see you as a "Friendly"...

These happy travel tips brought to you buy Lassy!
    lol.....
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    Sorry guys. Access to the internet has not been what I have hoped so there is a lot less play by play this time. Santiago is great. The city is very different that Nicaragua. I have to say, the experience here is very different than latin america. Nicaragua is a bit like the wild west, no real laws and you can buy your way into and out of as much trouble as you want and people leave you alone. Here, my first night when we hit a disco, I had to put my cigar out as there was no smoking allowed. You cant carry a pocket knife.... lots of rules. I tend to be one of those folks that has problems with authority.... one of the reasons I love Nicaragua. I could drive double the speed limit driving the wrong way in a one way and no one would say a thing. Anyway, just my rant.

The DR is great. The decline in exports here has clearly impacted some of the factories but in my few days here this far I have spent time with the folks at La Aurora, General Cigar, Pinar del Rio, Matasa (quesada), Victor Sinclair, Jochy Blanco (leaf grower and respected cigar maker), a machine made factory, and Agusto Reyes. Lots of good blends smoked. You may be seeing the resurection of an old favorite of mine "Pueblo Dominicano". There are several great blends being considered. Stay tuned. For those guys who like the unique stuff, I scored a small allocation of the old La Aurora 100 Anos from the original release years ago. Great smoke and one that has become increasingly hard to find. These may not go up on the site and may be reserved for sale through our consultants only. Additionally, I found some boxes of la aurora preferido corojos from 2003 that have aged nicely. I have some of these coming in which should be a very nice treat.

The rest as they say are trade secrets LOL. I dont want my competitors reading this and stealing my ideas but there are some great finds at AMAZING PRICES you guys are going to go nuts for!! Headed home tomorrow. Being here reminds me that I need to come down to the DR more often. Some great cigar makers that are very talented.
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,725
    Sounds great Alex. You should just make up a sampler of the secret stuff you pick up on these trips, cause obviously I'm gunna need at least one of each! ;)
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Damn, Alex lol. I'd like to see what you came across over there. I'm gonna need a huge sampler of whatever you got there and in Nicaragua.
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    +1 on the secret sampler
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Goldy:
    +1 on the secret sampler
    +2
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    fla-gypsy:
    Goldy:
    +1 on the secret sampler
    +2
    +3
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Alex Svenson:
    You may be seeing the resurection of an old favorite of mine "Pueblo Dominicano".
    OMG!!! holy crap!!!!

i LOVE those smokes.

how does it compare to the original blend? and how do they compare to the second run of them? who was the original blender and is the same blender doing the work on this one?

Ive been looking for these cigars for a while and i thought they were gone for good.

this is a good day, with good news.

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    +1 on the Cien Anos. I truly love that smoke and have a buddy who is another Chief who is also on love with them. Be great to finally score a few again.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    kuzi16:
    Alex Svenson:
    You may be seeing the resurection of an old favorite of mine "Pueblo Dominicano".
    OMG!!! holy crap!!!!

i LOVE those smokes.

how does it compare to the original blend? and how do they compare to the second run of them? who was the original blender and is the same blender doing the work on this one?

Ive been looking for these cigars for a while and i thought they were gone for good.

this is a good day, with good news.

hmmm...might have to try one or two and see what all the hype is about!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Hayblet:
    fla-gypsy:
    Goldy:
    +1 on the secret sampler
    +2
    +3
    sounds like a good idea.