Home General Discussion

herfing

bobdbobd Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 71
I have never been to a herf, but I always hear people talk about bringing 5 or so sticks.  Do you actaully smoke several full cigars while at these events or do you just smoke some of each, like you are tasting cigars?

Comments

• tkohlertkohler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 70
    I think the point of bringing that many is so you can give away/trade others for some sticks. I've never been to a 'herf' with other BORKS, only a few tastings at my local B&M.
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    typically you would trade at a herf, when we did the SE herf I brought my travel Humi (15 ct) and a C.com bag full of the new Sun Grown's which I gave 2 to all the BORK's that showed up, the other guys also shared sticks and 2 of the guys opened their travel Humi's and said "pick one". I also traded a guy a Gurkha Centurian X since he never had one and I got a RP 92 from him, also gave some random guy one of the left over Sun Grown's I had because I love spreading the word of C.com's house blends.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Hayblet:
    typically you would trade at a herf, when we did the SE herf I brought my travel Humi (15 ct) and a C.com bag full of the new Sun Grown's which I gave 2 to all the BORK's that showed up, the other guys also shared sticks and 2 of the guys opened their travel Humi's and said "pick one". I also traded a guy a Gurkha Centurian X since he never had one and I got a RP 92 from him, also gave some random guy one of the left over Sun Grown's I had because I love spreading the word of C.com's house blends.
    +1 I was also at the SE Herf and did just that, just passed around my traveldore and told the guys to pick one...also brought a bag of Ccom Brazilian labels to hand out. Herfs are a ton of fun, It's a great opportunity to make new friends and try new cigars. I think I smoked 4 cigars that day! lol
    btw spence, I smoked one of those sun growns last weekend, Great smoke, thanks!
    Krieg:
    Hayblet:
    +1 I was also at the SE Herf and did just that, just passed around my traveldore and told the guys to pick one...also brought a bag of Ccom Brazilian labels to hand out. Herfs are a ton of fun, It's a great opportunity to make new friends and try new cigars. I think I smoked 4 cigars that day! lol
    heh you had 4... I had 9 or 10 by the time the UFC pay per view was over lol
    Hayblet:
    Krieg:
    Hayblet:
    heh you had 4... I had 9 or 10 by the time the UFC pay per view was over lol
    LoL, i wondered how long u guys were there, lol!
    well it was just me and Mr Greenmachine can't really remember who left last, since we were staying at the same hotel I just caught a ride back with him
    Hayblet:
    well it was just me and Mr Greenmachine can't really remember who left last, since we were staying at the same hotel I just caught a ride back with him
    you ever get your phone?
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    bobd:
    I have never been to a herf, but I always hear people talk about bringing 5 or so sticks.  Do you actaully smoke several full cigars while at these events or do you just smoke some of each, like you are tasting cigars?
    I usually bring 3-5 sticks that I will smoke to the finish, as well as about 10 others that I bring to trade or give away. Sometimes I will smoke all full bodied cigars, but more likely I'll start off with something mild, and work my way up.
    Krieg:
    Hayblet:
    you ever get your phone?
    yep got it around 11:30 before TW opened oh and it was the camera I ment to get a group photo with I just kinda forgot lol
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 269
    I usually bring 2 or 3 to smoke myself + 5-10 more to trade/gift away. I try to bring a variety of sticks and at least 2 cheaper everyday type smokes to give out to non cigar or "on the fence" type casual smokers that sometimes show up to these things. Have fun enjoy, and don't be the guy sitting in the corner not talking to anyone.
  • doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    For the SE herf I just grabbed a bunch of 262 Paradigms from the B&M down the road (trying to make sure they see volume moving on them!) and handed those out and then opened up the Herf-a-dor to trade with Spence for that Centurian (trying hard to keep my hands off it, as well as the RP Renny and Old Worlde from Krieg, for some rest :p ).

It was my first herf as well so I didn't know exactly the protocol, but I think next time I'll just pack the herf-a-dor and a CCOM bag with goodies and let everyone pick. I felt a bit undergenerous at the last one so I'll fix that next time (11/20 gents!).

Oh, and I smoked 4 cigars that night which was a record for me. Plan on smoking alot, that's kinda the point!
    doromath:
    For the SE herf I just grabbed a bunch of 262 Paradigms from the B&M down the road (trying to make sure they see volume moving on them!) and handed those out and then opened up the Herf-a-dor to trade with Spence for that Centurian (trying hard to keep my hands off it, as well as the RP Renny and Old Worlde from Krieg, for some rest :p ).

It was my first herf as well so I didn't know exactly the protocol, but I think next time I'll just pack the herf-a-dor and a CCOM bag with goodies and let everyone pick. I felt a bit undergenerous at the last one so I'll fix that next time (11/20 gents!).

Oh, and I smoked 4 cigars that night which was a record for me. Plan on smoking alot, that's kinda the point!
    Same here, 4 is a record for me too. Although the first one was a mild one (vintage 99). Hope you like those Rockies...fyi...The RP Renn already has about a year on it. I bought a box at last year's Tobacco World Anniv party.