Home General Discussion

RP Signature, CT, Vintage 1999 comparison?

asolomonasolomon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 127
Hey folks, I'm looking to try a mild-medium and delectably creamy Connecticut from RP, and since I'm low on cash I'm only getting one for now. Between the Signture, CT, and Vintage 1999, which do y'all think are the best and most match that description, and what are some of the differences between the three? I'll admit that I really want to try the RP Signature Series because it looks soooooooooo damn beautiful!

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I've smoked at least a boxes worth of all three. I more or less like all three. This is my take and what I get out of them:

The normal ct is nutty and creamy. Very Mild bodied. This is a good stick to hand out to newer cigar smokers.

The 1999 is also nutty and creamy, but has some woody flavors, and it's a bit more complex. I like the aroma a lot. Very good smoke. Mild bodied.

The Signature has a distinct cashew flavor to the nuttiness. It's creamy, and has some sweetness to it. It's got more body than the other two and is one of my favorite Connecticut wrapped cigars. Great stick.
  • asolomonasolomon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 127
    Thanks a lot Russ! How does the Signature compare (taste-wise, quality-wise) to other Connecticuts you've tried? I've tried quite a few so maybe I'll find a comparison point there. Any other good CTs you'd recommend?
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    I dig on the verdadero organic. Very smooth, creamy and almost raisiny with a bit of body. I hand em out to my non cigar smoking buddies and they love em. And can be had for a killer price if you look around.
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,048
    VINTAGE 99 all the wayy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love this smoke to death
    asolomon:
    Thanks a lot Russ! How does the Signature compare (taste-wise, quality-wise) to other Connecticuts you've tried? I've tried quite a few so maybe I'll find a comparison point there. Any other good CTs you'd recommend?
    Glad to help. The Signature taste wise stands apart from other Connecticuts I've had. To me the cashew flavor is really clear, and I like that. That combined with the little bit of sweetness I get makes for a unique smoke. It's construction is very solid. It's made by AJ. It's actually my favorite connecticut wrapped stick. I was buying them when they were 160 a box, and felt like they were worth it. Pricey, but good. Now that they are down to about a hundred per box it's a no brainer, for me.

A close second, very close, is the Perdomo ESV '91. It's similar in body, closer to medium, and very nutty. A slow burner too. Don't buy the Churchills unless you've got a lot of time. Another one I like is also by Perdomo, the 10th Anniversary Champagne. The one with the Yellow cello. It's much more mild that the first two, and it's more creamy than nutty, but still very good. Both the Perdomos have top notch construction.
  • VidarienVidarien Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246
    Opinion - Of the cigars you listed, the vintage 99 is the best. In fact, the vintage 99 is one of the best connecticuts made. They are priced higher than rockys normal level though.
    What keeps the '99 from being my #1 is it's a little too mild for my taste, it's very expensive, and I've had more plugs than I think is necessary, especially for such a pricey stick. I do like it a lot though. I don't buy boxes of them anymore, but I do pick 'em up in samplers for cheap when I see them.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Russ55:
    What keeps the '99 from being my #1 is it's a little too mild for my taste, it's very expensive, and I've had more plugs than I think is necessary, especially for such a pricey stick. I do like it a lot though. I don't buy boxes of them anymore, but I do pick 'em up in samplers for cheap when I see them.
    The 99 is a good cigar, it's made by General Cigar and actually has a minimum advertised price (thanks GC), I like the cigar more than the other 3...although I haven't had the RP Sig in awhile. If you have a chance to order some RP Signatures, I would recommend doing so. Those are actually quite limited and only a certain amount are made every year depending on wrapper..etc. As for the RP CT, it's a nice morning cigar paried with some coffee. I recently just bought a box of RP Vintage 99's, I like taking the cello off and aging them awhile because they pick up a really nice cedar note from my humi. My suggestion would be to maybe call up Ccom and see if they can put together a little sampler for you, maybe 2 cigars of each, because everyone's tastes are different.
  • ironhorseironhorse Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    RP Signature all the way. My favorite connecticut by far, because I don't even like connecticuts but I love this one. I also like the virtrue, and I didn't know that AJ blended the Signature. Never did a comparison before, but has anyone else? The last time I had a signature has to be 5 months ago, but I'd be interested if anyone else found a similarity here.