Home General Discussion

Large ringe gauge- 60

fuentejpsfuentejps Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 345
whats everyones favorites

Comments

• docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    None. I like a rg of 50 or less personally. My ideal vitola is a corona gorda (5 5/8x46) or a robusto (4 7/8x50). I also love coronas and lanceros.

While a large ring gauge does allow for faster, rougher smokers to enjoy a cigar, they tend to wash out the flavor from the wrapper, and have some serious burn issues for us slower smokers (ie. impossible to keep all 60 64ths of circumference lit without drawing more than I am used to)

That said, some very fine smokes come in these sizes
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    docbp87:
    None. I like a rg of 50 or less personally. My ideal vitola is a corona gorda (5 5/8x46) or a robusto (4 7/8x50). I also love coronas and lanceros.

While a large ring gauge does allow for faster, rougher smokers to enjoy a cigar, they tend to wash out the flavor from the wrapper, and have some serious burn issues for us slower smokers (ie. impossible to keep all 60 64ths of circumference lit without drawing more than I am used to)

I also like smaller ring gauges most of the time, however some sticks are just better in the larger gauge.

The Oliva Series V comes to mind, and the ruinations as well. There are others but those two stand out for me. Nubs as well.
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 345
    i really prefer 50 an up.
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,048
    my favorite big stick is the rocky 99 vintage...i think the big ring guage in that stick is good because it enhances the flavor profile of it.....but i do like the bigger guages just in general but very rarely will buy any
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,725
    Im a smaller guage guy as well. 46 to 50 is ideal for me.
    im getting more into smaller gauges ....lately i am all about 6 x 54 or something around that....5x 50 is good but i smoke it to fast
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    For 60 +
    Gurkha Legend Perfecto &
    Nubs
    They're the only 60+ rings I've had that I've liked (so far). I too have discovered rings into the high 40's that I've enjoyed.....
  • jship079jship079 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 621
    40's and 6" and under. But it depends on the smoke sometimes the bigger ring gauges are better with some blends
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    50 and up also.
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    The Graycliff G2 Turbo is probably my favorite 60 ring. It's a torpedo so while you're puffing, it feels like a 54 or less.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    I really love the Perdomo Habano Connecticut in the 60ring.
    The NUB Cameroon,
    The Gurkha Centurian, and the list goes on and on.

• DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    Really looking forward to trying the Diesel Unlimited 6X60
  • TheDrifterTheDrifter Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 83
    CAO Brazilia, Diesels and Gurkha Evil XOs come to mind. Just had the G2 Turbo that was good as well.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    I tolerate large ring gauges if a tasty smoke only comes in sizes fat or fatter (diesel, etc.) but in general I prefer around 48. Too big and they seem to take a lot of effort keeping the wrapper lit and the draw is too loose.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    If it burns well and tastes good, I don't really care about the gauge.
  • kos22uskos22us Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 46
    i like a smaller guage simply for time issues
  • quix24quix24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 66
    anything 50 and smaller
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    laker1963:
    docbp87:

I also like smaller ring gauges most of the time, however some sticks are just better in the larger gauge.

The Oliva Series V comes to mind, and the ruinations as well. There are others but those two stand out for me. Nubs as well.
    What they said. After it get's past 54 I get annoyed by it.
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    cabinetmaker:
    +1 but certain cigars are better with bigger ring gauges, Diesel Shorty and Nub Maduro still are in my tops
    nyone ever see those 6x66....those r freakin huge!
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    nyone ever see those 6x66....those r freakin huge!
    I think one of the CAO America's come's in that ring gauge... when they get that big I just use my cigar spike to open em up
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 294
    For a larger ring I smoke Nub almost exclusively. I have a couple of Diesel Shorty's in the humi but I mostly go for Nub in that format.
  • ljlljl Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 819
    Hayblet:
    cabinetmaker:
    +1 but certain cigars are better with bigger ring gauges, Diesel Shorty and Nub Maduro still are in my tops

+2, Nub maddy is pretty good. I'm OK with most of the mid 50's I've come across. If it's a smoke I haven't tried yet I like to get a robusto (5x50) first just as a starting point.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    generally speaking i like a smaller ring better. but is far asover 5 ring cigars i think the 5 vegas series A does well. i think LFD DL, CAO Italia, JdN Antano, all are good in the larger ring.

though those do well in a larger ring, i still prefer the smaller versions of them (when applicable )
  • ironhorseironhorse Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    kuzi16:
    generally speaking i like a smaller ring better. but is far asover 5 ring cigars i think the 5 vegas series A does well. i think LFD DL, CAO Italia, JdN Antano, all are good in the larger ring.

though those do well in a larger ring, i still prefer the smaller versions of them (when applicable )
    Kuzi stole most of my ideas. There really aren't that many 60's to be honest. I think the CAO brazillia is that big? Thats one of my faves too. But otherwise. JDN Antano, 5Vegas AAA, and the Nubs. I haven't had it, but I bet the Cain F in the Nub size would be pretty good. The other cains.....ehhhh
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 345
    rocky makes a 60 i think, el rey del mundo(if they are still out there)...
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    I typically like smaller ring gauges. My "sweet spot" are robustos or coronas although as many people have mentioned, certain sticks are good in larger sizes. The Padilla Miami salomon was a good stick.
  • Duder2Duder2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 926
    Last night I had an Oliveros King Havano Black Knight which is a 6x60 box press and it was pretty darn good. I like a few big rings but have started to gravitate towards the smaller end of the spectrum lately.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    I like big trucks, big cigars, big women, wait a minute, where did that come from. LOL
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    cabinetmaker:
    One of the few things cabi and I agree on. Though I do enjoy 50 and up cigars more than say 42 or so...