Home General Discussion

How do you describe quality in the real world?

havanaalhavanaal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 150
We're all familiar with the jargon used in catalogues, reviews, forums, etc. But face it, none of us talk this way. Well maybe some of you actually do, I don't know. But when one of my cigar smoking buds asks me "Is that thing worth $10?" I don't say "Yes, it's a medium to full bodied blend and has a smooth draw with hints of cedar and cocoa, combining to an earthy finish". Come on! I say "It's really smooth, reminds me of those Cubans we had last summer out by the lake." What real word descriptions do you use to convey quality to friends and family? Or do you even bother? Perhaps it's better to stop talking about it and just smoke the thing!

Comments

• FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Typically I give them one of what Im smokiing and say what do you think. If they are a good smoking buddy.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Usually, I just give them the strength of the cigar, what flavors I picked up (and remind them that not everyone's palate is the same), and ask them if they wanna try it out for themselves.
  • jbarker_18jbarker_18 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 30
    I got a LFD Salomon today. The guy in the shop said it was a "Religious Experience". His wife also attested to that. So I figured, I'd give it a go. I'll find out tonight if it lives upto the hype.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    I will agree if you know the person, you will relate it to something that you have shared together, maybe not a previous cigar, but to portray the same feeling of what the cigar will make them feel:

"It's okay, not the greatest thing in the world, but it doesn't break the bank, just like that time you got that stripper with the lazy eye"

Or

"It was awesome, it was like that time you got so drunk you passed out in a HOOTERS promo bus and woke up to the girls changing and they didn't see you at all!!!"

But if it's someone I don't know, I will most likely let them know that "It depends on what you are looking for in a Cigar, you never know what it will be until you try it, and I for one love this stick right now! You should try it too!" I never go overboard with my descriptions for too many things have been RUINED for me, for they were SUPPOSED to be a Religious experience and I hype the item up so much, that it barely is good, let alone THAT GOOD to me.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    Lasabar:
    "It's okay, not the greatest thing in the world, but it doesn't break the bank just like that time you got that stripper with the lazy eye"
    Awesome!
  • quix24quix24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 66
    I usually try and pick one main characteristic, like spicy, rich, smooth etc. etc.
  • MrMokeMrMoke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 321
    Lasabar:
    I will agree if you know the person, you will relate it to something that you have shared together, maybe not a previous cigar, but to portray the same feeling of what the cigar will make them feel:

"It's okay, not the greatest thing in the world, but it doesn't break the bank, just like that time you got that stripper with the lazy eye"

Or

"It was awesome, it was like that time you got so drunk you passed out in a HOOTERS promo bus and woke up to the girls changing and they didn't see you at all!!!"

But if it's someone I don't know, I will most likely let them know that "It depends on what you are looking for in a Cigar, you never know what it will be until you try it, and I for one love this stick right now! You should try it too!" I never go overboard with my descriptions for too many things have been RUINED for me, for they were SUPPOSED to be a Religious experience and I hype the item up so much, that it barely is good, let alone THAT GOOD to me.

Lasabar, my wife has a Phd and is an English teacher (she's actually English too!!), has anyone ever told you have a way with words and a peotic prose that might well rival Vogon Poetry!!!!

• LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    MrMoke:
    Lasabar:

Or

Lasabar, my wife has a Phd and is an English teacher (she's actually English too!!), has anyone ever told you have a way with words and a peotic prose that might well rival Vogon Poetry!!!!

Only that Stripper with the Lazy Eye... she said she needed the money to go to College