Home General Discussion

Taking stock...

NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 728
Phew! I went through my stock last night to "pack" for my trip this weekend. Ive learned...

1) probably good that I put my ccom monthy on hold. It was done to redirect money to other things on a temp basis... but since im not smoking too much these days, it was getting really close to "no more room".

2) I have a serious problem collecting.

3) related to #2... lol. I have very few multiples of any one stick. I would say, mult's of MOW, Runi, Nica Libre and Black Dragon. The other 100 or so are all singles.

4) related to #3... having all those singles, and a mult's of a few sticks... keeps me smoking the ones im familiar with. Im either afraid to stray and have something i may not like, OR... have a stick i only have one of, love it... and not have any more on hand. Its an interesting problem.

5) and yea, I have a problem collecting :)

Comments

• lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    My problem with having a wide variety is that I have a difficult time choosing a stick to smoke. An hour or more is a lot of time to devote to something. I hate wasting it on something I'm not going to really enjoy. My hope, is that someday, I have a humidor stocked full of only my favorite stuff. For now, I'm still in the sampling phase of cigar smoking.
  • Cigar SherlockCigar Sherlock Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 142
    If ever you need more room...I would gladly store some of those singles for you ;) hehe
  • NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 728
    lilwing88:
    For now, I'm still in the sampling phase of cigar smoking.
    same here!
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I go through phases where I try a bunch of new things and then go back to my standbys. In order to get over the hurdle of trying something new, and not necessarily wanting to be committed to it for an hour + if it sucks, or is mediocre, I developed a simple rule. If I don't love it, I put it down and grab a new smoke. To hell with price. To hell with how far I am into it. I'll give it a chance, but if I'm only an inch or two in and it's terrible then I'm done. I am smoking to enjoy myself, and if I'm miserable then what's the point?

And I know that just sounds like common sense, but I used to force myself to finish a stick even if I didn't like it.
  • TheDrifterTheDrifter Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 83
    Russ55:
    I go through phases where I try a bunch of new things and then go back to my standbys. In order to get over the hurdle of trying something new, and not necessarily wanting to be committed to it for an hour + if it sucks, or is mediocre, I developed a simple rule. If I don't love it, I put it down and grab a new smoke. To hell with price. To hell with how far I am into it. I'll give it a chance, but if I'm only an inch or two in and it's terrible then I'm done. I am smoking to enjoy myself, and if I'm miserable then what's the point?

And I know that just sounds like common sense, but I used to force myself to finish a stick even if I didn't like it.
    Maybe it's the optimist in me but I usually don't do that for fear that it'll develop into a good cigar but I'd never know.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    I can sympthasize. I have mostly singles and my "homework" of trying a new stick a day gets sidetracked if I find something I like. My most recent "distraction" was the Ccom Sungrown.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    sightunseen:
    I can sympthasize. I have mostly singles and my "homework" of trying a new stick a day gets sidetracked if I find something I like. My most recent "distraction" was the Ccom Sungrown.

10-4 on that one..... my humis are all singles but Nica Libres,Diesels and Rocky patels....oh and folsoms, and I find myself smoking just those and gran habanos #5 and letting all this other stuff rest or move on in games if they are something i wont ever smoke. when my Cigar Box Project is finished I am planning on Bullding some typoe of Cabinet.... I am going to use some old piece of Mission Cabinetry and line it in Spanish cedar and seel it good I have the Plan......
  • TokinstogieTokinstogie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 43
    I may buy one box a year (CAO annaversary) other than that I purchase about 300 sticks a year in mixed samplers and rotate the stock at every purchase (2-3 times a year). I throw the new arivalls in a 500 count humi for at least 6 months, then restock a 200 count humi that is for daily access, I can alway find one I feel like smoking on the top. Most the samplers have one or two really good sticks and they go into the super secret humi which is a 400 count that has a few sticks that have been on the bottom for almost 40 years. I get into that one on rare moments I want somethig extra special. I don't bother tryng to remember what I have because so far I've always been able to find one I want.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Tokinstogie:
    ...the super secret humi which is a 400 count that has a few sticks that have been on the bottom for almost 40 years. I get into that one on rare moments I want somethig extra special.
    this is why i need to get a 400 count. 40 years of age on a cigar..... geeeez.
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 345
    kuzi16:
    Tokinstogie:
    ...the super secret humi which is a 400 count that has a few sticks that have been on the bottom for almost 40 years. I get into that one on rare moments I want somethig extra special.
    this is why i need to get a 400 count. 40 years of age on a cigar..... geeeez.
    or just 1 big cab humi w/aging drawerrs:)
  • ironhorseironhorse Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    I feel your pain. I find myself always smoking my less expensive cigars. So 75% of the time I smoke something I have a box of like MOW's, RP Sungrowns, Nica's and then collecting higher priced singles that I smoke once or twice a week. Even when I smoke out of the collection humi, I pick the least expensive ones! The problem, of course, is that I need bigger humi's because all of them are too full! I have a small office humi with cheap multiples, a small home humi with cheap multiples, and then a collecting humi. Instead of a 20, a 20 and a 50 ct. I need to step up to 100-100-300 I think. Anyone looking to downsize their humis and willing to trade? ;)
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    40 years? wow, wouldn't most cigars lose a lot of what they had? Seems like a really long time. Still very cool none the less.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    I would like to try one with that much age. I have one with 18 years on it. R & J 1875, and it is starting to get cracks in the wrapper and a little "dusty" looking Now that I attribute to plume, but I think it may be time to check it out.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    kaspera79:
    I would like to try one with that much age. I have one with 18 years on it. R & J 1875, and it is starting to get cracks in the wrapper and a little "dusty" looking Now that I attribute to plume, but I think it may be time to check it out.

Wow guys ...and here I set feeling all good about myself for having some coming up on a couple of years and a few more with 3-4 on them !!!
  • TokinstogieTokinstogie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 43
    phobicsquirrel:
    40 years? wow, wouldn't most cigars lose a lot of what they had? Seems like a really long time. Still very cool none the less.
    There were about 50 sticks in the humi when my dad gave it to me, he quit cigars about 20 years ago, but I can still talk him into smoking one of the ones he bough every now and then, most of them are cubes. and still quite tastey. very very mellow.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Tokinstogie:
    phobicsquirrel:
    There were about 50 sticks in the humi when my dad gave it to me, he quit cigars about 20 years ago, but I can still talk him into smoking one of the ones he bough every now and then, most of them are cubes. and still quite tastey. very very mellow.
    Simply... Beautiful
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    NYHCx516x:
    Phew! I went through my stock last night to "pack" for my trip this weekend. Ive learned...

1) probably good that I put my ccom monthy on hold. It was done to redirect money to other things on a temp basis... but since im not smoking too much these days, it was getting really close to "no more room".

2) I have a serious problem collecting.

3) related to #2... lol. I have very few multiples of any one stick. I would say, mult's of MOW, Runi, Nica Libre and Black Dragon. The other 100 or so are all singles.

4) related to #3... having all those singles, and a mult's of a few sticks... keeps me smoking the ones im familiar with. Im either afraid to stray and have something i may not like, OR... have a stick i only have one of, love it... and not have any more on hand. Its an interesting problem.

5) and yea, I have a problem collecting :)
    Ditto..... Same deal here. Too funny....