Home General Discussion

Hello Gents! newbie here..

MattNJMattNJ Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
I just had my first cigar last night and loved it.  I am looking to pick some up tomorrow for the weekend.

What would you guys suggest for a newbie?  Since I am knew I would like to stay on the cheap to mid grade price.

What are your thoughts on Gispert?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Gispert? Never heard of it before.

I'd say try out the 5 Vegas line if you wanna go cheap but still get good quality; the 5 Vegas Gold is a good one for beginners.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    Welcome to the forum. A good beginner smoke is the Oliva G Maduro. Like xmacro was saying, 5 Vegas Gold is also a good beginner's stick.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    MattNJ:
    I just had my first cigar last night and loved it.  I am looking to pick some up tomorrow for the weekend.

What would you guys suggest for a newbie?  Since I am knew I would like to stay on the cheap to mid grade price.

Thanks in advance!

Matt
    'Ello! Everyone says 5 vegas, and they are right! But most Brick and Mortar stores (B&M) don't carry that line... I'd go with whatever the person at the local shop suggests as mild! But if you ARE ordering online right now, then 5 vegas!
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    You might try a look at Oliva's, not my favorite, but always well constructed and seldom over-powering. Read through the threads, don't overdo, take your time and enjoy.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    If you're just getting into the hobby, I would suggest 5 Vegas Gold, Gurkha Turk, Padilla Hybrid, or Oliva Conneticut Reserve. Great sticks to start out with. The Man O' War Virtue is my personal favorite mild to medium cigar.
  • brotheradambrotheradam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 896
    Welcome, I'd go with Flor de Oliva or 5 Vegas both are good, also Gurkha Park Ave is good too.
  • Poker SlobPoker Slob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 996
    Welcome to the forum. Gispert is a good cigar. I would start off by trying mild to medium Sampler packs.
  • babsdpubabsdpu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 143
    Welcome, I agree on anything Oliva (wait a while until you try the V, though) and Perdomo makes some good mild blends.
  • StarbuckStarbuck Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 32
    Welcome to the site. I just signed up today as well. I have no recommendations as I'm still pretty new to cigars as well, but looks like some of the experts here already have some excellent suggestions.
  • betasynnbetasynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,249
    For what most B&M's have, on the slightly cheaper end I would recommend Romeo y Julieta Viejo, the Oliva G Maduro or Oliva O Natural, and on the pricier side, the Avo series are all pretty decent mild cigars, aside from the Heritage, Companero and AVOLE10. Those are all fairly mild.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    Welcome to both of you. The Gurkha Park Avenue is mild, tasty, and not too spendy. Always 5 Vegas Gold, or you might want to give Padilla Hybrid a try. Also cheap and very tasty for a milder stick.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    MattNJ:
    connecticut shade wrapper, honduran binder and a filler from nicaragua and honduras.

expect a sweet grassy flavor with earth undertones. this may or may not develop into wood tones. the second half will be better than the first. expect a few burn issues but nothing to really piss you off.

for the price tag, im not mad at it.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Welcome to the forum! Like many others have stated if I was you I'd go mild and build up, the Man O War Virtue, 5 Vegas Gold and Nub Connecticut and Verdadero Organic are great mild smokes!
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Yo welcome.... Check out the Gran Habano #1 great creamy smooth smoke.

• lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Welcome, brother. I'd suggest starting out 'old school'..... Go for a few classic milds. Try a Romeo y Julieta 1875, an Arturo Fuente Curly Head Natural and maybe a Montecristo Classic. It'll give you a nice sample of some classic cigar flavors. Then build up to the more complex stuff......
  • jship079jship079 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 621
    lilwing88:
    Welcome, brother. I'd suggest starting out 'old school'..... Go for a few classic milds. Try a Romeo y Julieta 1875, an Arturo Fuente Curly Head Natural and maybe a Montecristo Classic. It'll give you a nice sample of some classic cigar flavors. Then build up to the more complex stuff......
    I agree with lilwing88. also ask you B&M owner most of the time it is someone who knows his sh(* and can help you. Last but not least only you can be the judge of what a good cigar is so get smokeing!!
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    Welcometo the Baords and like has already been sugessted 5 vegas Gold is your stick a good solid inexpensive tasty smoke! Good luck and again welcome!
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    Welcome to the forum hope you stick with this hobby. Try the Nub Conn. One of my favorite milds and can be found here on line and in most B&M's. Very smooth and creamy smoke, kind of one dimentional but good flavor IMO.
  • MattNJMattNJ Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
    Wow, thanks for all the help guys!! I wrote them down and will check out a local store by me in NJ JR Cigar.  Cant wait to try them out this weekend!